I need a quick monitor swap solution

stewartjm

Limp Gawd
Monitor wise, I currently run a 30" 2560x1600 in the center, and two 27" 2560x1440 displays, one to either side of the 30".

I've often toyed with the idea of adding a 23-27" 120Hz monitor for gaming. That new 23" 120Hz Planar has just about pushed me over the edge.

The problem is, if I stick it off by itself, I'll likely not use it enough for it to be worthwhile.

What I need, is a quick and easy way to bring it in front of the 30" display when I want to use it, and then an equally quick and easy way to move it out of the way when done.

I'm sure I could find some odd combination of monitor arms, which would somewhat work, but there would be the risk of scratching the rear displays. A pillar down from the ceiling, or out from the wall, with an arm with a lot of horizontal range on it, is about the best I can come up with using off-the-shelf parts that I know of.

Has anyone here ever solved this problem in a more elegant way? Or does anyone have any great ideas?

If the 30 inch is mounted on the wall, you could push it to the wall.

Then you can mount your new 120 hz on a table mounted arm and tuck it behind on of your 27" displays and just pull it to the center.

When done push it back behind your side monitors and pull the 30" monitor back out from the wall.

Currently, all 3 displays are on the wall, using Innovative Office Products(lcdarms.com) 7500 and 7000 series arms.

I could definitely see something like what you've described working. I'd need to move the current mounts up a foot or two, so that the arms are angled down from the wall, instead of angled up. That would in theory clear up enough space behind one of the 27" monitors, to let a desk mounted, or even wall mounted(angled up), 23" hide in the rear.

Still a good bit of screen scratch risk, and having to move the 30" in addition to the 23" is somewhat sub-optimal. Thanks for the idea.

Maybe if you are able to push the 30 inch to the wall you could have the new 120hz laying flat on the table. THen when you push the 30inch back you can flip up the 120hz on some sort of hinging mechanism.

The pol with a monitor on either side is a neat idea. Biggest issue with any desk mount solutions is that I currently have a very large KVM(An Avocent Switchview SC8) sitting just behind my keyboard. And in a perfect world, I'd also have a line mixer or 2 back in that space... Also my 2nd keyboard is on top of the Avocent.

Though, in an even more perfect world I'd get Arduino or similar, and make the KVM remote controlled, so it could live in a rack, and get all those KVM cables off my desk. And I'd have remote controlled line mixers too, and get all the audio cables off of my shelves. Maybe someday, though even in that more perfect world it'd be nice to have some physical controls for the KVM and sound levels above the keyboard.

I think a mechanism where the 23" dropped down from above would work better with my current setup. I just need a periscope pole to attach to my ceiling :)

The area around the center monitor currently looks like so:
center_monitor_area_smaller.jpg

Back