I need a new mobo, but dont know what to get...

Furhead

n00b
Ive been using an intel desktop d915pbl board for about a month and a half. It has been running fine until today, i was gaming and my comp just suddenly winked off. It wouldnt turn back on so at first i thought it was the psu, i changed that out and it still would not turn on so that has lead me to believe my mobo fried. So now i ask you guys what mobo should i get? Has to be pentium, and socket LGA775, and pci express, and be able to use ddr2 ram.

and not too expensive...

Well PCI-Express motherboards for Intel LGA775 processors and expensive go hand in hand. The D915PBL is actually one of the cheaper ones.

You can always RMA your board to Intel. It is still under warranty. I do believe they have a 3 or 5 year warranty.

But if you want to go out and buy a replacement, about the cheapest one I can think of with DDR 2 support is the Abit AA8XE Third Eye or the AA8 Duramax.

I'm not a 100% sure on the prices, but stick to name brands like Intel, Abit, Asus. I'd personally avoid ECS, EpoX and the like.

Be sure to check out Epox. They make high quality boards that are loaded with features, for decent prices. They are just as good as Intel and Asus, and IMO better than Abit.

Definitely the Epox is worth a look. I would not get an intel board!!! EVER!!! They are worthless. If you want to grow up to throw bad advice around and get a huge 150mhz overclock!! What a joke. Then hey get yourseldf an intel board!! If I had a board that let me achive an overclock like that I would keep my mouth shut. So no-one would notice me.
Epox is not one of the larger companies for sure. But their boards have stood the test of time. But if you want to be a mainstreamer that is up to you. It is not like you would be totally bummed by an Asus or Abit board. They are good products too. But to just summarily dismiss a fine board like the Epox without your own research, well, would just make me wonder about your commitment to learning about the Overclocking arts as it were. Forums are good for some information but I suggest you do some serious reading of your own. Go to google and type in the motherboard you want to know about and behind it type "Reviews" Then go read some. You will benefit from it. Don't listen to nay sayers like
Sir Crapthreadalot. And go look for yourself.

WZ

I just built a machine for a friend- Got the AA8 Duramax. I'd recommend that or the 3rd eye version, depending on what you want. I know the Duramax has gotten very good reviews. You can get it for about 130 I think.

Back