I need a new game. Any MMOs out there that don't suck, or eat your life?

The Wayfarer

Weaksauce
I want a new game to play.

Single player games are perfetly fine if the content is there, but often I find that the content in single-player is somewhat lacking, and the additional element of player interaction adds something to the experience. This sees me leaning towards MMO games these days, and as I've been an RPG fan from day one of my gaming career, my selections are often of the MMO(F)RPG.

The problem: last time I played an MMORPG, it ate, like, two years of my life. Ok, well, not two years of my LIFE, but certainly two years' worth of liesure time. I LOVED Everquest as a newbie becasue it had a lot of rich, interesting, and fulfilling content for low- and mid-level players that DIDN'T require the aid of a guild, marathon play sessions, or any serious other sort of serious commitment; at that point, it offered all the benefits of an MMOGs without the drawbacks. Then came end game, and there went my free time. As many of us know, nearly ALL the content for high-level characters were/required obcene time sinks. THIS is what killed me. The only online game I've played since EQ was Diablo 2. The content was sparse, sure, but in one way it was almost ideal; you didn't NEED other people to experience the most of the game, but it was better with 'em. And above all, you could actually PUT IT DOWN without worrying about falling behind.

So, after that probably unneccessary, here's the question: is there a GOOD MMO game out there that has rich content, that you can actually allows you to put it down without getting penalized?

Guild Wars
It's not an MMO, but resembles one. It's a freakishly fun game for the first few weeks, but end game is a snoozer. Pick a box of it off on eBay, definetly worth $20.

Every MMO is the same at end game, I have felt the same way you do, for multiple times for multiple MMOs already. There's no perfect MMO.

I played WoW for quite a while, and enjoyed it very much.

That being said, it WILL suck your life if you let it.

If you REALLY can't find anything else, I'd recommend WoW. But just remember that there's a time to quit. Don't get sucked in, and don't stay too long. Quit when it starts to suck you in too far.

I've given up on MMO's. I first started with Ultima Online back in 1997. Then went through eq, daoc, wow, etc. I had a lot of fun with UO and wow was pretty cool but I just find MMO's so damn boring nowadays. As MMO's got more popular they started all becoming the same.

Well EQ2 is going through a revamp right now. The game is much better now. I found myself able to get into it finally. They improved the first 20 lvls and now you can pick your class right off the bat. Plus the servers were merged so now theres more people to group with. PvP is coming in a week. So perhaps you want to wait till then.

Im also not finding it as life draining as I find WoW to be. Plus the community is a heck of alot better compared to WoW. Players interact more maturely with each other and makes grouping more enjoyable. Plus no stupid city spam.

Plus this game is giving me motive to upgrade my computer. I want to play on high quality lag free with 1600x1200 resolution soo bad!.

the design of a MMO is to keep you sucked in and playing so the company can keep taking ur $12+ a month (monthly subscription price depends on the game). if they didn't get you hooked to keep paying every month then why would the company even make the the mmo? initial sales volume? hahaha, then they would just rush the game, ship it and never patch it or add new content.

I played Everquest since Tallon Zek opened (how many years ago was that? my whole life?)
after eq went downhill i stopped playing for a while
but WoW is where its at.
its level/questing/instances/raid system is nice and it allows you to get a lot done without totally destroying your social life. plus its very hopping with players right now.
and you can solo with pretty much any class at any level! sweet huh!

if you decide to go for wow( btw it runs on slow machines well) you're welcome to hit me up on Arthas (Alliance) its a pvp server. Loboute or Learn is my char name.

-Robert

Problem with WoW, is that it quickly becomes a timesink if you do the end-game content. Yeah I loved it til then, and the time investment, although heavy, was worth it.

Here's my old guild's DKP sheet.

Notice the total raids being 116. Consider an average of 4 hours a raid. The people with 100+ raids have spent over 16 days in Molten Core, Onyxia, and BWL (mostly MC). Timesink? I think so.

The only MMO I managed to get into was MXO (Matrix Online). The community and game was wonderful during BETA, but after making the transition to retail, I thought there was quite a bit lost. Sony ended up buying the franchise and really revamping it. I haven't played in a while, but it's not a half bad MMO, especially if you liked the Matrix or Matrix franchise.

It's not too expensive from what I can remember.

WoW is not at all what he's looking for from what his post says. WoW and not too time consuming in the same sentence is laughable. It will probably take you 15+days of gameplay to reach 60 on your first character. Then, you have only beaten half of the game. Lets say you need some leggings that only drop off of one boss, He takes 1-2hour to get too, Did I mention it will most likely take you 40+runs for him to drop them, and then you will have to get lucky on the roll so the other guy doesn't snatch 'em. Then to get that nice weapon, yeah try doing 4hour raid's where statistics show you have to run it 100times or so to get that weapon, not including the other 10x people in your group looking for it too.

I agree, WoW is a better game than Guild Wars, but for anyone not able to play massive amounts of hours a day, GW is better. GW basically has no items, so there's no end game(which is what ruins the game) But also you can spend 10hours and be nearly as good as anyone else, it relies on how competent you are in picking out a order of skills. GW also has no monthly fee, so I say it's definetly worth the $20 to buy a copy.

Xeero said:
the design of a MMO is to keep you sucked in and playing so the company can keep taking ur $12+ a month (monthly subscription price depends on the game). if they didn't get you hooked to keep paying every month then why would the company even make the the mmo? initial sales volume? hahaha, then they would just rush the game, ship it and never patch it or add new content.

mmo is designed for that reason. if you dont want a time consuming mmo, then maybe you shouldn't pick up an mmo?

WOW is a good one, you can play on your own for the most part. Im only a lvl 45, but have never needed anyone to have fun and do quests (except Dungeons..but help is so easy to find it is no biggie and you dont even have to do them to lvl and have fun).The quests are also not horribly long. It can suck you in if you let it, as in take all of your time. ...You just dont let it. :D

Try Eve-Online?
Probably a game that doesn't require you to be ingame ot raise skills up

Z(+)DIAC said:
The only MMO I managed to get into was MXO (Matrix Online). The community and game was wonderful during BETA, but after making the transition to retail, I thought there was quite a bit lost. Sony ended up buying the franchise and really revamping it. I haven't played in a while, but it's not a half bad MMO, especially if you liked the Matrix or Matrix franchise.

It's not too expensive from what I can remember.

I picked up MxO for like 20$ and well, I'd pass on it personaly..

Its quick but like not enough people, and very few events..

dissonance said:
I've given up on MMO's. I first started with Ultima Online back in 1997. Then went through eq, daoc, wow, etc. I had a lot of fun with UO and wow was pretty cool but I just find MMO's so damn boring nowadays. As MMO's got more popular they started all becoming the same.

I am in the same boat, they just get super old really fast now, WoW was one of the quickest I have put down, even though it was one of the more polished. I will say though that UO and SWG had by far the best communities, and WoW and EQ were by far the worst, which makes or breaks a game now since they are all the same

The problem is that the OP enjoys the non-raiding aspect of MMO's from what I gathered. The huge raids are massive time sinks and if you don't raid, you fall behind.

WoW gives the impression that its not like that for the first 59 levels. Once you hit 60, you need to raid to advance. I did the raid thing, its not my thing. I just don't like sitting there for 6 hours, having no choice -but- to sit through the raid.

The end game content we have now since release is:

Dire Maul, 5 man dungeon.
Molten Core: 40 man
Zul Gurub: 20 man
AQ: 20 Man
AQ 2: 40 man
Nexdjkfgyatropolis: 40 man dungeon the size of one of the major cities with 15+ bosses o_O

If you didn't like EQ end game, you probably won't care for WoW end game, as Blizz brought in one of the hardcore EQ raiders as content designer.

The AQ weapons are some of the most powerful in the game, and if you PVP, you don't stand a chance against epic equiped players. The Grand Marshal/High Warlord weapons, which are supposed to be -the- best DPS wise, are only a few points higher than the easier to obtain AQ epics.

Then there's the PVP system, I made it a goal to hit rank 10, which I did, but heaven forbid if you miss a week, you're going to lose a ton of progress, and if you're not ranked in the top 50 consistantly, you'll never make it past rank 11.

So, the grind to rank 10 burned me out on WoW... add to that the constant network latency (can't call it lag anymore nowadays because everyone says "OMG GET A NEW COMP YOURS SUX") on Blizzard's end, the super packed servers, and the 30-50 minute lines just to get into the game have killed the game for me.

Then there's the PVP system, I made it a goal to hit rank 10, which I did, but heaven forbid if you miss a week, you're going to lose a ton of progress, and if you're not ranked in the top 50 consistantly, you'll never make it past rank 11.

So, the grind to rank 10 burned me out on WoW... add to that the constant network latency (can't call it lag anymore nowadays because everyone says "OMG GET A NEW COMP YOURS SUX") on Blizzard's end, the super packed servers, and the 30-50 minute lines just to get into the game have killed the game for me.

Rank does not really mean much, I guess you get to fell better about yourself....or something. I am rank one and dont give a shit, I am not in it for that. Im in it for the fun of the game.

And the "Super packed servers"...well, ummm....there are a ton to choose from. It would be a stupid idea to create a new char on a server that is almost full. I log right on Stormscale (med in capacity). YES, it is lame for those that are on the full servers, but they are working on it so you can changed servers..atleaset this is what I have heard.

Back