I need a low end Intel chip (Help a AMD buyer)

3one5

Gawd
I've been using AMD chips on Asus boards for the past 8 years. But I need a low end system to stick Linux on and would like to give a Intel chip and try. I need something low end and would like to stick it on a Asus board. Integrated video is preferred. I've been kind of thinking one of the Pentium D's would be nice. Can anyone recommend a chip/motherboard combo?

for a start sir you might want to make this slightly more easy to the helpers. Tell them where you are and whats the budget?

just get an asus board and an 805, you seem to have the system already planned out...

You want to give Intel a try but you forego it's incredible current architecture and instead opt for a obsolete, outdated, and outperformed Pentium D?

If this is the case you truly are better off sticking with AMD...
This would be the equivalent of asking to buy a Pentium 2, just suck it up and get the e6300 and compatible motherboard. (Total: $230)

You won't be dissapointed.
That is all.

You could try a Pentium D805 and a ECS410L/800M or Asus P5LDM. You can get a D805 and ECS410/800M for like $130 from outpost. I have mine overclocked to 3.33ghz. It does super pi on one core 80% faster than my XP3000+.

Eihli said:
You want to give Intel a try but you forego it's incredible current architecture and instead opt for a obsolete, outdated, and outperformed Pentium D?

If this is the case you truly are better off sticking with AMD...
This would be the equivalent of asking to buy a Pentium 2, just suck it up and get the e6300 and compatible motherboard. (Total: $230)

You won't be dissapointed.
That is all.

I choose to go with a lower end Intel processor because I would be going with an equivelant AMD processor. I'm not looking for a gaming machine. I'm looking for a Linux box that really wont do much of anything.

Hell, if you're aiming for the low end of the tech pool...you ask nicely enough and someone might just give you a Pentium D just to get it the hell away from them. :)

Redshirt #24 said:
Hell, if you're aiming for the low end of the tech pool...you ask nicely enough and someone might just give you a Pentium D just to get it the hell away from them. :)

Will someone please give me their lowly Pentium D and board....and memory :)

Seriously though, if someone has a used board and chip that they will let go I would be willing to take it off their hands for some $$

Redshirt #24 said:
Never mind ask you nicely , i will kiss your ass for it , where is it at.

I got a ASRock board(made by Asus) and a D805 and upon boot up it was already clocked at 3.3Ghz and ran just fine during installation. Now I am like up to 3.4Ghz...I need to find time to play around with it...

Back