I need a little advice

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
I use my laptops for pretty much just surfing the Net, emailing and watching DVD's. ATM I have 2x water cooled Q6600 G0's that I try to keep DCing 24/7 without interuption (unfortunately they're temporarily shut down to upgrade and save on electricity and ACing in the summer) ATM I have 2x lappys, a factory refurb D610, 1.73 Ghz PM, 2x GB's 533 DDR2 RAM, 40 GB 5400 RPM IDE HD and a HP nc6000, 1.8 Ghz PM, only 768 DDR1 PC2700, 40GB 5400 RPM HD.(I've got another PM nc6230, 1.8 comin' in the mail, none are exactly performance machines :() What I'd like to know if you think it's worth the hassle to go with a IDE 7200 hard drive or an expensive SSD HD (you know, install new HD and reformat it, OS installation, hunt and peck driver installation, etc) (sheech, the IDE 7200's are much more expensive than the SATA 7200's :eek:)

In the future (6x months or more out) and after I get thru upgrading my quads, which'll probably be never, I intend to sell some of the PM lappys and get a C2D lappy. It's not that I feel a C2D would neccessarily be that much better for what I use my lappys for, it'd be mostly for "bragging rights" :rolleyes:)

Thanks for any and all opinions ;)

You can use software like Acronis True Image to copy hard drives to new ones without reinstalling things. They have a trial version.
P3 laptops with 4200rpm hard drives can do the same things you use your laptop for. I would say leave it alone based on what it is being used for. You don't even seem to need more storage. You want encouragement for an impulse buy or something?

I'm trying not to be too harsh, but here are my thoughts:

I pretty much agree with the above poster. If you're cutting the q66's off to save power/energy, just go the extra mile and save by not buying an additional HDD. Instead, just get a new laptop...c2d, whatever you want. They have some good one's for 400-500 that will blow the socks off of what you're using, and a hdd that you're going to buy is at least 1/5 the price. So, in my opinion, just keep saving and buy a C2D sooner.

Did I miss the reason you're buying the HDD? Is there one?

Err...Ah, I appologise if I wasn't too clear in my first post.

LOL, I like that "impulse buying" crap :p I was mostly investing in a thing called "education" ;)

I've never had the opportunity to explore the insides of a laptop (I've probably built 50 desktops and when the Chimp Challenge comes around I usually build a couple of machines to just fold) AFAIK (just ask the college graduates, of which I'm not one) that getting an education can, at times, be expensive ;)

I'm constantly surfing the Net for the cheapest laptop prices and I know I could probably get a new C2D for $500 bucks Unfortunately it would only be a Napa chipset w/ 667 FSB. I'd like to have a Santa Rosa chipset w/ 800 FSB. What would really be a dream would be a Calpella chipset w/ up to the use of DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM :eek: )

OBTW, my quads only pull about 500w from the wall (4x Yate Loon fans, 1x MCP350 w/XSPC top and 1x MCP650) I was referring to the heat dump in my small 1x bedroom apartment. ATM I have one quad torn down to replace a 8800GS with a GTX 275 which, I think has 240SP's vs only 96 SP's on the 8800GS (more nVIDIA SP's, more better folding, sometimes it takes longer WCing ) :cool:

What I really wanted to know if using a faster hard drive, for no more than I do with it, if it would be any benefit :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh yeah, this nc6000 I got off of Ebay for $74 bucks and change. I took it all apart, blew the the dust and dirt out of it, replaced the TIM on the CPU and generally cleaned it up. I'm posting wireless on it right now. It didn't have a HD, RAM, OS or a internal wireless card when I got it. After exploring around I purchased and installed a HD, RAM (more of that impulse crap) and a USB wireless dongle (I had layin' around in my closet). I installed the FREE Win7 RC1 OS and I figure I've got about USD $120 dollars invested and I'm highly satisfied (Win7 even recognized my "no name" wireless USB adapter right outa' the box, IMO you can't beat Win7 and I'm an old WinXP holdout) I hope the nc6230 I've got comin' in the mail, probably tommorrow, works out as good. I've already got a keyboard, HD, CD/DVD drive, wireless g card and RAM for it. For $44 bucks it didn't have that stuff. About the only thing I didn't already have was the keyboard and the wireless card. I even have a complete LCD assembly for it, if it has a cracked screen (or back light, inverter or any other LCD prob) I just hope it boots to BIOS. (this "impulse buying" crap is a' killin' me :rolleyes:)

EDIT once again: Eek :eek:, as you can tell I don't know a whole lot about GPU's (I'm not a gamer and the 2x GPU's I presently have are "CUDA" capable cards to be used for F@H's GPU2'in ;)) I was looking at the GeForce GTX 275's on NewEgg and I've come to the conclusion they're only 240 SP's :(

Last edited:
A hard drive change won't explore the insides of a laptop. You unscrew a panel and take out the drive or caddy. It's less work than a desktop. If you want full exploration replace a screen and processor.

Back