I need a job title

Greetings,

Well, here's a new one on me - My boss wants me to come up with a new job title. I currently manage a department that is responsible for everything IT. That includes servers, workstations, network, SAN, WAN, Audio Visual, VOIP phones, etc. In addition to that I'm responsible for all security configurations, policies, procedures, auditing, etc as related to technology and above areas of responsibility.

My current job title of "Infrastructure and Security Manger" seems appropriate but the boss doesn't like it because it's to long and somewhat of a mouth full. The only other job title I can come up with that would be CTO or Chief Technology Officer. The only problem with that is it would elevate me to the level of executive management which I'm not and put me on the same level as my boss - the CIO.

I'm serious here. I've got to come up with something by Monday.

Best regards,
The Dude

Director of IT.

Director seems a little more important than a manager, but not as high and mighty as a CTO.

difficult to say, depends on your organization, but either IT Manager or Director of IT.

In my case, I'm in a similar role, title is IT Manager. If you don't have managers / team leads reporting to you, then generally would go with manager, if you manage managers, then director?

RE: Berg0

That's my thought as well. Our Org chart looks like this:

CIO
Programmers/Developers Manager (10 reports)
Workstation Support Manager (8 reports)
Network and Security Manager (Me with 6 reports)
Project Managers Manager (3 reports)
Help Desk Manager (6 reports)

As much as I like "Director of IT" I'm not sure it applies here. Though, I've worked at places where Directors had nobody at all reporting to them.

Never a fan of director of IT, seems like too much managment at that point.

Director: Network Operations/Global Networks(if you're global)

Manager titles are bullshit, I have one in my group and everyone reports to the director of our group.

CIO

As much as I like "Director of IT" I'm not sure it applies here. Though, I've worked at places where Directors had nobody at all reporting to them.

Your project managers have a manager?

Xzibit approves of your corporate organization.

Your project managers have a manager?

Xzibit approves of your corporate organization.

Of course they do. A Project Manager manages PROJECTS not themselves. Usually you have a PMO with a normal manager/reports structure.

I would say that NOC Manager seems the most fitting, or Network Operations Manager. You may come up with Deputy Director of Technology as that would elevate you above your peers and put you as the direct report for all managers (if that is where you are going).Looks like you have a standard hierarchical tree with manager of individual departments reporting directly to the CIO, is this correct?

JOT - Jack of All Trades?

Seriously though, sounds like an Enterprise Architect.

JOT - Jack of All Trades?

Seriously though, sounds like an Enterprise Architect.

That's not an Enterprise Architect. An Enterprise Architect doesn't really manage people in direct support of infrastructure. They set and define standards for the organization.

He's a Network or Infrastructure Manager. Simple as that. If you want to add the Security piece, that's fine..but you're on the right track. About 5 years back I had almost the exact same job and when asked what I wanted the title to be when we split out the team I chose Network Manager. Director has some special meanings..though it's becoming greatly watered down with people "choosing" that as their title.

In my current role I meet a lot of people at different organizations and see a lot of diff job titles. When I hear IT Director now it means nothing to me, unless you're from a Fortune 500 company where they protect many of those titles.

CIO

Would certainly go with IT Manager.

also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_%28business%29

CIO

Too many fkn managers in your org, I'd make myself a director rather than a manager in this case to elevate myself above the army of managers you have. Can't believe you guys are still in business being that top heavy.

Too many fkn managers in your org, I'd make myself a director rather than a manager in this case to elevate myself above the army of managers you have. Can't believe you guys are still in business being that top heavy.

not all managers restrict thier activities to management, While my titles is that of "manager" I do a ton of hands on work.

That's not an Enterprise Architect. An Enterprise Architect doesn't really manage people in direct support of infrastructure. They set and define standards for the organization.

He's a Network or Infrastructure Manager. Simple as that. If you want to add the Security piece, that's fine..but you're on the right track. About 5 years back I had almost the exact same job and when asked what I wanted the title to be when we split out the team I chose Network Manager. Director has some special meanings..though it's becoming greatly watered down with people "choosing" that as their title.

In my current role I meet a lot of people at different organizations and see a lot of diff job titles. When I hear IT Director now it means nothing to me, unless you're from a Fortune 500 company where they protect many of those titles.
If it's a smaller company (must be smaller if he wears all those different hats) it's not uncommon to be labeled an architect. Just because you carry that title does not mean you have to sit on an ivory tower and tell everyone what to do. In smaller companies it is very common for them to be in the trenches coming up with standards, then implementing them themselves. I would agree that it wouldn't fall into the "Enterprise Architect" if he was in a larger company where there is more segregation of duties. People would probably ask him if he was sick if that were the case ;)

Consider your next job...get a title assigned that that will trigger more hits on your resume when processed by keyword scans in the automated resume scanners (or from Humans if you get lucky). The title you want, the one that will get you more looks if/when you need to move on is "Director, IT" (or its variants, "IT Director" or "Director of IT"). Assuming, of course, that you can get your CIO boss to go for it.

Senior IT Manager....

or The IT Dude, then you could branch off and market yourself against the Geek Squad(ron). Giant billboards perhaps?

Personally, I've never cared much about a title as much as the pay/benefits. They could call me a Janitor and pay me what I make now for all I care.

But I am curious to what you came up with as well. I would have picked something off the wall -- Jedi Master of IT, Mr. IT, IT Superstar, Gawd of IT, etc...

Greetings,

I spoke to my boss and he said that I couldn't use any title with "Director" in it. So, I sent him a list in order of preference:

1. Network Operations and Security Manager
2. Network Operations Manager
3. Network and Security Manger

I'll let you know how it plays out.

Head of Infrastructure

Director of Mission Critical Systems

Senior IT Analyst

VP of Infrastructure

VP of Technology

Chief IT Architect

I come from the Hedge Fund/Financial (Goldman Sachs, etc.) world so these titles are normal... I have more if needed...

Back