I need a GOOD power supply for my new rig

Wich0

Limp Gawd
I know I read the faq, but I'm still torn on what power supply to get. I just need a good branded power supply that will last me a few years at least and that will handle the system I'm building. The thing is I don't want to spend too much $$$ on it maybe $100-$130 the most. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Antec Neo 550, will this cut it?

Gigabyte DS3
C2D E6400
2x1gb PC5300 ram
2X 320gb SATA Hard drives
Evga 8800GTS 640MB Video card

Please help me decide?

Corsair HX 520 (zzf has it for cheap after MIR with free ship)

I saw a thread a few days back, someone recommending a Corsair, with an MIR attached.. MIR terms ended, I think Sunday (the 11th) - maybe that was the rebate BBQ was referring to.

[edit] Yes, it was the 11th...A google search for "Corsair 520 rebate" came up with Newegg's HX520 listing. Anyway, I wouldn't let this ($10 rebate) sour you on purchasing this unit. And another Seasonic rebrand - Antec Trio 550 you can get for the $85-100 range, no rebate. From what I understand form the PSU guru's in these parts they're fine PSUs, not on the same level as Corsair, but they're still Seasonic made none-the-less. You don't get the yummy black case/black flat cabling though, just standard gray steel, and un-wrapped/sleeved cables.

I saw a thread a few days back, someone recommending a Corsair, with an MIR attached.. MIR terms ended, I think Sunday (the 11th) - maybe that was the rebate BBQ was referring to.

[edit] Yes, it was the 11th...A google search for "Corsair 520 rebate" came up with Newegg's HX520 listing. Anyway, I wouldn't let this ($10 rebate) sour you on purchasing this unit. And another Seasonic rebrand - Antec Trio 550 you can get for the $85-100 range, no rebate. From what I understand form the PSU guru's in these parts they're fine PSUs, not on the same level as Corsair, but they're still Seasonics none-the-less.

Just because Seasonic makes these PSU`s has no bearing on quality or workmanship.......
They are still units that are made to the specicifications of the company thats paying Seasonic to manufacture them.

Its not a good thing to believe that just because Seasonic manufactures a PSU for a company that the PSU must be a good PSU. After all it`s made by Seasonic......rofl

Not even remotely correct. If the quality of the OEM wasn't important, as you continue to incorrectly say, then everyone would use cheaper companies like Deer or YoungYear to maximize profit margins. Companies have been burned, and burned badly taking your approach.

Just because Seasonic makes these PSU`s has no bearing on quality or workmanship.......
They are still units that are made to the specicifications of the company thats paying Seasonic to manufacture them.

Its not a good thing to believe that just because Seasonic manufactures a PSU for a company that the PSU must be a good PSU. After all it`s made by Seasonic......rofl

Not even remotely correct. If the quality of the OEM wasn't important, as you continue to incorrectly say, then everyone would use cheaper companies like Deer or YoungYear to maximize profit margins. Companies have been burned, and burned badly taking your approach.
Paul is quite correct, the OEM is ALWAYS selected based on their price, capacity and level of quality!

If you want cheap & quality is of no concern, then you would hire someone like Deer.

If you are willing to spend a little more & you want a better quality, then you would contract with someone like ToPower.

Seasonic will only accept contracts to produce premium quality products,
they build the Antec HE's & Trio's, Corsairs & the PC P&C 610W & 750W's.

These companies have reputations to protect & they do protect them!

Dave ;)

Ok thanks guys I'll go with the corsair..ZZF has it for $106 shipped. I see they also have the corsair 620w, my question is it worth paying the extra for the 620w if I'm not planning to have SLI..will the 520W be enough for the vid cards coming out in the next few months? I might want to upgrade the 8800gts to whatever is good 6 months from now.

Okay lets say the qwuality is important for discussion sake......
It seems that no matter who Antec has manufacture there PSU`s they always have issues...thus my point was just because Seasonic is manufacturing Antec PSU`s in no way should imply that those Antec PSU`s made by Seasonic are of the same quality as other brands that Seasonic also custom makes........

You are still wrong no matter how you try to reword it.

Okay lets say the qwuality is important for discussion sake......
It seems that no matter who Antec has manufacture there PSU`s they always have issues...thus my point was just because Seasonic is manufacturing Antec PSU`s in no way should imply that those Antec PSU`s made by Seasonic are of the same quality as other brands that Seasonic also custom makes........

Antec doesn't always have problems no matter who manufactures their units as you are now claiming. Again you are quite simply wrong.

Ok thanks guys I'll go with the corsair..ZZF has it for $106 shipped. I see they also have the corsair 620w, my question is it worth paying the extra for the 620w if I'm not planning to have SLI..will the 520W be enough for the vid cards coming out in the next few months? I might want to upgrade the 8800gts to whatever is good 6 months from now.
The Corsair 520W is more than enough for any single GPU currently available.

However no one knows what the future holds & the 620W is not that much more. ;)

[edit] Yes, it was the 11th...A google search for "Corsair 520 rebate" came up with Newegg's HX520 listing. Anyway, I wouldn't let this ($10 rebate) sour you on purchasing this unit. And another Seasonic rebrand - Antec Trio 550 you can get for the $85-100 range, no rebate. From what I understand form the PSU guru's in these parts they're fine PSUs, not on the same level as Corsair, but they're still Seasonic made none-the-less. You don't get the yummy black case/black flat cabling though, just standard gray steel, and un-wrapped/sleeved cables.

Buy.com has a current $10 rebate going with free shipping making it $89.00

HX520 at: http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-hx5...lar-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/203270716.html
Rebate at: http://ak.buy.com/buy_assets/retail/pdfs/07Q1/0312-0331jk_corsair.pdf

BTW, the HX620 is $125 after rebate with free shipping: http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-hx6...lar-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/203270718.html

Edit: If you do a google search on "buy.com promotion code" you can find a variety of promotional codes to try. $10 off with google checkout, $5 off with $50 purchase. The later states for new customers only, but it went though for me and I've previously purchased from them (though it's been a while). So I just ordered a HX620 for $120 shipped to my door (after MIR).

Back