I need a good open world replacement for Fallout 4

Dragon age: Inquisition. Loved that game and is one of the games I havent stopped half way because it became repetitive and too much of a chore to finish.

Another wote for Witcher 3. Lots of story and sidequests. Easy to stray off the main quest and just explore.

Dragon age: Inquisition. Loved that game and is one of the games I havent stopped half way because it became repetitive and too much of a chore to finish.

Another wote for Witcher 3. Lots of story and sidequests. Easy to stray off the main quest and just explore.

those are two RPG games that I really never got bored nor overwhelmed and actually completed the main quests and continued with finishing every other aspects of the game.

The Witcher 1 starts out very, very slowly in terms of storyline, the difficulty curve is unforgiving even on easy, and the combat system... well, I tried my best, but clicking in time to continue sword combos proved too much after a few hours. I hate this game. I want to love it, as I already know I love its setting and characters, and I can easily forgive the somewhat dated graphics and clunky interface... but the combat is simply terrible. The only way I could see playing it would be as a sort of walking simulator / storybook thing where I cheated to the extent that clicking once on anything in combat killed it. I'm not normally one to cheat in games, either, I just hate it that much. Haven't been motivated enough to figure out if that would be possible, though. Needless to say, I'd recommend staying far away. Just forget it exists. Maybe find a summary of the backstory somewhere.

Glad I'm not the only one. I honestly haven't picked up Witcher 3 because of my experience with Witcher 1. I always wondered how so many people liked and raved about it. I don't think I made it more than 2-3 hours in that game. I just could not get past the crappy combat and I figured Witcher 3 was more of the same. Glad to hear that it's not. I'll actually have to pick it up at some point now.

I feel like modded STALKER is not getting mentioned enough... You want a game to fill the fallout void you need look no further.

I feel like modded STALKER is not getting mentioned enough... You want a game to fill the fallout void you need look no further.

STALKER definitely. It's hard to find mods though since filefront got shutdown. Not going to lie, it's not an easy game to get into, it barely holds your hand and you can fuck up the main story very easily, hell my main story NPC got eaten by a pack of dogs 20 hours into the game with no way of fixing it. But if you really want a miserable open world post apocalyptic game, this is the one.

hell my main story NPC got eaten by a pack of dogs 20 hours into the game with no way of fixing it.

lol stalker :) But you could have completed the game. stalker did some interesting things that worked and others... not quite so much. But there are tons of interesting mods, some make it absolutely massive. I just hope one day we see another stalker.

lol stalker :) But you could have completed the game. stalker did some interesting things that worked and others... not quite so much. But there are tons of interesting mods, some make it absolutely massive. I just hope one day we see another stalker.

Well I mean to get the true ending :( I ended up getting the wishmaker and died in a sea of gold(nuts and bolts).

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines is what you want. A vampire themed rpg with good story and plenty of different ways to play. Even the character roles you can play can be drastically different (IE A Nosferatu vampire can't just walk around in the world without being noticed/scaring people, Malkivans are plain crazy and have hilarious dialogue options).

You can find it on gog right now for 50% off, so $9.99.

Also I would recommend both The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition if you haven't played either of those.

Then there's also the MAss Effect games of course. Highly recommend those if you have ANY interest in a sci-fi based rpg series.

If you want more old school isometric style rpgs, there's the great Divinity: Original Sin game (a sequel is on the way), Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, and the Shadowrun games.

Grand Theft Auto V
Open world, many activities, and interesting casts of protagonist. And then, improved graphics, wildlife, vehicle interior, and number of pedestrian. This game is a good sandbox for sure!!

Grand Theft Auto V
Open world, many activities, and interesting casts of protagonist. And then, improved graphics, wildlife, vehicle interior, and number of pedestrian. This game is a good sandbox for sure!!
I haven't played GTA since 3 but does this game allow you to go into a number of indoors areas, or just the few that pertain to the missions?

So much this it's not even funny.

Thing about Skyrim...The MQ sucks. It simply sucks. The side quests are much more interesting. But you run out of those with depth pretty quickly. And those with depth end way before you want them to.

STALKER Lost Alpha mod - totally free expanded version of STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl but with all of it uncut & fixed up. I highly recommend it. I'm going to make sure I play it all of the way through & beat it myself since its such a big game to play.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Lost Alpha mod

I stumbled on the STALKER series and there is a newer version of it on Steam. Something like a return to the Chernobyl area.

You may be thinking of Chernobyl Commando, a no-budget ripoff. Read the reviews on Steam before you decide not to buy it. Here's one of the less negative reviews:

dear developers
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\..

I loved Morrowind and Oblivion, but I never got into Skyrim for some reason.

I have a house and an adopted child in Skyrim that I bring gifts to to make her happy. Skyrim has never ending quests. I can live in Skyrim forever if I want. Oh, and Skyrim has dragons.

I have a house and an adopted child in Skyrim that I bring gifts to to make her happy. Skyrim has never ending quests. I can live in Skyrim forever if I want. Oh, and Skyrim has dragons.

Just be sure you don't do the main quest :yuck:

Looks like I found it.

StarCitizen

I just got started yesterday and although it's a little rough still, it does seem playable. The mechanics are a little challenging but it is beyond open world in scope. I am planning on doing salvage work initially and I am looking for an organization that is actually organized enough that I can get out there with some friends and get to work making some cash.

I actually managed to find my ship, fly it to a quest location, complete the quest, return and land without dying so I feel somewhat accomplished. But man it was sketchy the whole way, a little exciting. I am sure that excitement will fall away as I discover how forgiving, or not, the flying part is. I tried another mission this morning before work but I must have messed up cause I died the moment I tried to EV from my ship. Didn't have time to try again before work so it'll have to wait till I get back home.

I hope my ship is back :oops:

Fuck yeah bro. Hopefully the game gets finished within your lifetime (y)

Could be an issue. I'm almost retirement age.

But I am not sure how much more finished it has to be. As long as I can go out and salvage stuff and the effort is converted to in game credit and finances my little empire, I think I am good. Specially if I can salvage player wrecks.

Looks like I found it.

StarCitizen

I just got started yesterday and although it's a little rough still, it does seem playable. The mechanics are a little challenging but it is beyond open world in scope. I am planning on doing salvage work initially and I am looking for an organization that is actually organized enough that I can get out there with some friends and get to work making some cash.

I actually managed to find my ship, fly it to a quest location, complete the quest, return and land without dying so I feel somewhat accomplished. But man it was sketchy the whole way, a little exciting. I am sure that excitement will fall away as I discover how forgiving, or not, the flying part is. I tried another mission this morning before work but I must have messed up cause I died the moment I tried to EV from my ship. Didn't have time to try again before work so it'll have to wait till I get back home.

I hope my ship is back :oops:

You should check out the [H] thread for it, it's one of the largest gaming threads and has been extremely active for years:
Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

There's an [H] Org too,
Dokazon Corp. [DOKAZON] - Organizations - Roberts Space Industries

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
If you haven't played it I really recommend Fallout New Vegas. I really found it to be a great game in that respect. The story is engaging, lots of side quests, plenty of stuff to do, you can play the game your own way to a very large extent.

Alright, just to catch up. I can't say I own everything Bethesda has made, but what old gamer would have Fallout 4 and not Fallout 3, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc. ?

I never got around to trying Dragon's Dogma, I'll try and remember to look again on Steam and see if it's available.

Now on to the good part. I found Path of Exile and I like it. It's not an open world first person game like I was looking for. no, instead, Path of Exile is for the most part, a completely redone and arguably improved version of Diablo 2. I am having so much fun with this game.

It's not what I was looking for but it is what I found.

And this game is crazy and so far, it's been free and it's on Steam. The crazy part;

The launcher loads instantly.
There are many servers to connect to.
Your game profile is accessible so your characters follow you from server to server.
The game loads fast without all the marketing bullshit most games load you with like a half dozen splash screens and crap.
It's been mostly bug free, but I have experienced a few CDTs, it's not perfect.
And I like it and if I don't want to play with other people it's fine cause the game play is instanced so I only see the others in town and I can close the chat window when I don't feel sociable.

So that's where I have been. Thanx for your help guys.

I'm going to mention something a little outside the box, but check out 7 Days to Die.

There is no story really other than it's the zombie apocalypse, but you can do plenty of exploring, building, digging... and it's getting better every alpha. It's a bargain.

It's a much, much better Minecraft IMO.

STALKER definitely. It's hard to find mods though since filefront got shutdown. Not going to lie, it's not an easy game to get into, it barely holds your hand and you can fuck up the main story very easily, hell my main story NPC got eaten by a pack of dogs 20 hours into the game with no way of fixing it. But if you really want a miserable open world post apocalyptic game, this is the one.

This is the place to get mods.

Games and mods development for Windows, Linux and Mac

Handful of mods on moddb but again Stalker is not an easy game to get into (varying difficulty in game) and not your typical run of the mill fps game.

Still upset filefront got shutdown, lots of god ray and texture mods there that I'd use in a heartbeat for any fresh Stalker installation.

I am about 10 hours into Enderal so far and its been pretty great so far. Feels more cohesive than Skyrim. crashes sometimes though.

The title sort of says it. I haven't even started Far Harbor yet and I know I'll get to it. I've been almost a week just preparing my character for it. But I also am looking for something new.

I would like a beautiful new world to explore, I enjoy traveling.
I enjoy digging into places, buildings, dungeons, whatever it is it's just more discovery.
I don't enjoy beating on a single monster for 20 minutes or grinding on wolves for hours at a time so I can buy a new bow or gun.
I do like making my character my own thing.
I do enjoy a good story and want a reason but I can be happy just rolling with it. I can be a happy hunter who is just out there living life and occasionally stumbling onto something different.

It can be contemporary, fantasy, future, space as long as it's engaging and the gameplay is fluid. I am not interested in going through mechanical hoops to accomplish something.

Any suggestions for someone who likes the things I like?

Vampire_-_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines_Coverart.png

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I definitely 2nd Witcher 3. It is my new favorite game of all time. Just love the characters, action, music... everything. This doesn't quite match your conditions you listed, but if you like action/stealth games then Metal Gear Solid 5 is a open-world action/stealth game you might like. It's not a RPG at all, and there is no character creation but the gameplay is great.

Wow, I herd the favorable comments here and went on Steam and Witcher3 was on sale and all the reviews were so promising and I bought Witcher3, downloaded it, and I was so fucking pissed off I couldn't see straight. It feels exactly like a console port and nothing at all like any Bethesda title.

You consol guys have to find a way to warn people that some game you are raving about is terrific, if you play on a console.

Now if there is some magic way to make the control UI not suck please, I am all ears, but so far I am torn between chucking it or ordering a Steam Controller, but since I generally hate consoles I really don't know why I am even considering the controller other then the game looks so beautiful.

Witcher 3 is the most polished turd I have ever seen.

Witcher 3 ? I thought you were cuddled up with Star Citizen.

I played it for some time but it never hooked me either. Too weak on exploration, discovery. Every "secret" location is marked on the map with a red "?" mark. It is a game for those who enjoy following a good story first and foremost. Also it shines for completing side quests, talking to NPCs. I think the combat is okay, even good, but the core game is following a story. Which makes sense being based on a novel. I like a good story, character interaction, in turned based JRPGs, but in western open world RPGs I prefer combat, exploration, action, to lead the gameplay rather than following a storyline. But if I get in the mood I might pick it back up. Now anyway I know what to expect.

Back