I need a good open world replacement for Fallout 4

lcpiper

[H]F Junkie
The title sort of says it. I haven't even started Far Harbor yet and I know I'll get to it. I've been almost a week just preparing my character for it. But I also am looking for something new.

I would like a beautiful new world to explore, I enjoy traveling.
I enjoy digging into places, buildings, dungeons, whatever it is it's just more discovery.
I don't enjoy beating on a single monster for 20 minutes or grinding on wolves for hours at a time so I can buy a new bow or gun.
I do like making my character my own thing.
I do enjoy a good story and want a reason but I can be happy just rolling with it. I can be a happy hunter who is just out there living life and occasionally stumbling onto something different.

It can be contemporary, fantasy, future, space as long as it's engaging and the gameplay is fluid. I am not interested in going through mechanical hoops to accomplish something.

Any suggestions for someone who likes the things I like?

Guild Wars2? I keep going back to playing it , always new content. You can customize the character with armor skins, dyes, hair and face etc. They also sell new fashion stuff all the time.

The new Doom is pretty open, has lots of secrets to find, and fluid fast paced gameplay. You can customize your suit and guns a little, but not to the extent of fallout.

Guild Wars2? I keep going back to playing it , always new content. You can customize the character with armor skins, dyes, hair and face etc. They also sell new fashion stuff all the time.

I played it for awhile. It's my fault for not specifying tho, I am not interested in an MMO, I am looking for something with a strong single player game.

I played it for awhile. It's my fault for not specifying tho, I am not interested in an MMO, I am looking for something with a strong single player game.

GW2 has a strong "player story". It'd take you likely a month to get through to the Heart of Thorns content. Not too shabby for ~$50. The PvP is icing on the cake, and seriously, their environment/world is far larger and more detailed than just about any other game I can think of.

GW2 has a strong "player story". It'd take you likely a month to get through to the Heart of Thorns content. Not too shabby for ~$50. The PvP is icing on the cake, and seriously, their environment/world is far larger and more detailed than just about any other game I can think of.

Thanx, but like I said, I have it and have played it. It's not what I am looking for.

A bit older but I'd highly suggest one of the stalker games. The vanilla/stock games are great but the mods available really help freshen up the graphics and extend the depth of the games.

I stumbled on the STALKER series and there is a newer version of it on Steam. Something like a return to the Chernobyl area.

I also spotted a title but I forget the exact name, the add-on expansion, whatever for it is called Homefront I think. It looked promising in a way.

another suggestion for Witcher 3, new dlc is out next week as well as a patch to the vanilla game.

LOL, the new Doom is great, but it is not open world in any way. Stalker is great, but you probably want to run one of the mods for it. MGSV:TPP is great, customizable through gear though.

LOL, the new Doom is great, but it is not open world in any way. Stalker is great, but you probably want to run one of the mods for it. MGSV:TPP is great, customizable through gear though.
I know its not "open world" like skyrim or fo4 but the levels have pretty good horizontal and vertical exploration. STALKER is good though, Metro LL is not as open but its pretty much a successor to stalker and looks beautiful as well.

Crysis has a big island you can explore if you dont look for a RPG game then Crysis is quite good, you can add mods if you want better graphics, Story isnt that bad, you can also try Crysis warhead which is similar
Stalker Series has a big world to explore , a post apocalyptic game with different quest and places
Metro 2033 and Last light even they arent that big they are good games to explore the unique post apocalyptic moscow, where you find some similarities with stalker but this game is based on metor books
Kingdom Come deliverance is a open world RPG on a medieval era
Far Cry Series is also another alternative to explore the wild from the island

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma. Lots of discovery and places to explore. Japanese take on the western open world RPG featuring the best combat in the entire genre. I enjoyed it more than any of Bethesda's games.

Witcher 1, 2 & 3

Witcher 1 and 2, while they had solid story, were absolutely horrible in terms of gameplay. Honestly I'd stay away from them -- or at very least from TW1, as its combat system is literally one of the worst I've ever seen.

I've never read the books and so far at least don't care to, and didn't want to have to read a bunch of backstory in game (though I did break down and read a fair bit of it in the end)... so sadly some things in The Witcher 3 went right over my head, which became all the more clear the farther I got in to the game. The story and characters were compelling though, and I wanted to know more. After I finished 3 as well as Hearts of Stone (since Blood and Wine wasn't out yet) I went back to the first 2 games. I'd tried in the past but couldn't get in to due to the clunky interfaces and, to my mind, terrible battle mechanics.

The Witcher 1 starts out very, very slowly in terms of storyline, the difficulty curve is unforgiving even on easy, and the combat system... well, I tried my best, but clicking in time to continue sword combos proved too much after a few hours. I hate this game. I want to love it, as I already know I love its setting and characters, and I can easily forgive the somewhat dated graphics and clunky interface... but the combat is simply terrible. The only way I could see playing it would be as a sort of walking simulator / storybook thing where I cheated to the extent that clicking once on anything in combat killed it. I'm not normally one to cheat in games, either, I just hate it that much. Haven't been motivated enough to figure out if that would be possible, though. Needless to say, I'd recommend staying far away. Just forget it exists. Maybe find a summary of the backstory somewhere.

The Witcher 2 is also clunky, but at least you aren't clicking to maintain sword combos anymore. I think I remember people complaining the combat was "dumbed down" since you went from having 3 modes to just fast swings and strong swings. Those people are insane. Losing so much about what made TW3 great is hard, however, and has kept me from getting more than maybe 5 or 6 hours in at this point, over as many weeks. Where I could play TW3 for several hours at a time and be ready for more, it's rare I come away from even an hour of TW2 feeling like it was time well spent. Gone is fast travel of any sort, at least to start -- as I understand you get some teleporters later, but they're limited. Gone is your ability to move fluidly through the world -- fences and small outcroppings that would be easily jumped or vaulted over in TW3 are hard walls that are impassible... That is, unless you get the little prompt when you walk near enough, hit the interact key and wait through an animation. More than once I've quit for the day after realizing the game was going to make me walk around a "mountain" / steep hill that I could've easily scaled in TW3. I realize this was probably a time / cost saving measure, but it has a strong negative affect on immersion. If I could walk over it, my badass mutated monsterslayer for hire should sure as hell be able to. The game has controller support but clearly wasn't made with it in mind, and I've yet to figure out how to map enough things to make it playable without switching back and forth between controller and KB/M. Normally I'm a strong KB/M advocate, but this sort of game seems to play best for me with a controller -- I guess I got spoiled by Bioware and Mass Effect / Dragon Age? Going back in this case just makes it feel clunky again. Also, I have no problem with the amount of nudity and sex in these games... but it was awkward in TW3's engine, which is otherwise very capable of making a beautiful, vibrant world come to life. In TW1/TW2's engine? Agonizingly bad.

Again, I want to like these games. I just... can't.

The Witcher 3, however? Give it a couple hours. The learning curve can be a bit steep, but it, unlike its predecessors, is totally worth it.

Last edited:
No Mans Sky... but it's a few months away..

>>'N4CR joined #cry'

Another vote for MGSV:TPP.

Its not an RPG, But it is an incredibly well made open-world game with tons of 'pick your poision' style gear development and base building that can really be played however you want, and I put in at least 50 hours before the ending made me want to slit my own wrists in an existential-crisis-driven frenzy.

Dying Light: The Following Edition

You will easily sink 50-60 hours into this and more if you love the zombie slaying... awesome game

The Witcher 1 starts out very, very slowly in terms of storyline, the difficulty curve is unforgiving even on easy, and the combat system... well, I tried my best, but clicking in time to continue sword combos proved too much after a few hours. I hate this game. I want to love it, as I already know I love its setting and characters, and I can easily forgive the somewhat dated graphics and clunky interface... but the combat is simply terrible. The only way I could see playing it would be as a sort of walking simulator / storybook thing where I cheated to the extent that clicking once on anything in combat killed it. I'm not normally one to cheat in games, either, I just hate it that much. Haven't been motivated enough to figure out if that would be possible, though. Needless to say, I'd recommend staying far away. Just forget it exists. Maybe find a summary of the backstory somewhere.
Wow. I just started in Witcher 1, and my experience mirrors yours exactly. Thought there was something wrong with me after so many told me to get into this Witcher series. I'm about 1/4 step from saying 'screw this game'.

I tried to get into the Witcher 1 for the third time a couple weeks ago. After an hour I couldn't do it anymore. I think what bugs me most is general world movement. I feel like there are invisible borders everywhere. I can't even get close to a wall and it just stops me.

I'll add another vote for Skyrim + mods, the depth of that game is dumbfounding. I have a 200 hour character that hasn't even touched any of the expansion areas yet. It's sick. Plus some of the sub-worlds and realms are downright amazing. Go into an area for a simple side quest that turns into an 8 hour exploration.

I tried to get into the Witcher 1 for the third time a couple weeks ago. After an hour I couldn't do it anymore. I think what bugs me most is general world movement. I feel like there are invisible borders everywhere. I can't even get close to a wall and it just stops me.

I'll add another vote for Skyrim + mods, the depth of that game is dumbfounding. I have a 200 hour character that hasn't even touched any of the expansion areas yet. It's sick. Plus some of the sub-worlds and realms are downright amazing. Go into an area for a simple side quest that turns into an 8 hour exploration.

Invisible walls.. reminds me of FO:NV. I don't know why people rave about it other than base gameplay improvements. The invisible walls everywhere were absolutely infuriating as an explorer type of player.. made it very linear and boring. No, you can't attack that base from a high ground position or shoot 'n scoot. Limited the play/attack approach variation immensely. FO3 had none of that crap, Skyrim and Oblivion were same, no invisible walls.

Can't wait to dig back into Skyrim + mods again, never really gave it a good shot and got too busy with work few years back when I last tried.

Ironically, so far the only Witcher game I spent any amount of time playing is only the first one, and I was half way through my second play through because, being a dumb newbie I was, didn't get Aerondight (I missed both of the dangerous beast bounties from Act 1).

I didn't want to start TW2 until that is done properly, nor will I play TW3 properly until I get TW2 played properly (which would probably involve playing on the highest difficulty on my first playthrough).

I want to complete both games using as few playthroughs as possible, I don't want to replay several entire games just because I missed something in the first one...

(This is probably why I actually prefered FF games, they are completely disconnected from each other).

Reactions: N4CR
like this
The Witcher 1 starts off showing a lot of game elements that you'll never really use and minimal explanation of the few that you will. While it has a neat story and a very cool world to explore, the click cadence combat gets old at about the halfway point in the game.
The Witcher 2's gameplay is a lot better, but it's kind of clumsy. Like poor man's Dark Souls. The game is fantastic in spite of that, though.

The title sort of says it. I haven't even started Far Harbor yet and I know I'll get to it. I've been almost a week just preparing my character for it. But I also am looking for something new.

I definitely 2nd Witcher 3. It is my new favorite game of all time. Just love the characters, action, music... everything. This doesn't quite match your conditions you listed, but if you like action/stealth games then Metal Gear Solid 5 is a open-world action/stealth game you might like. It's not a RPG at all, and there is no character creation but the gameplay is great.

Ironically, so far the only Witcher game I spent any amount of time playing is only the first one, and I was half way through my second play through because, being a dumb newbie I was, didn't get Aerondight (I missed both of the dangerous beast bounties from Act 1).

I didn't want to start TW2 until that is done properly, nor will I play TW3 properly until I get TW2 played properly (which would probably involve playing on the highest difficulty on my first playthrough).

I want to complete both games using as few playthroughs as possible, I don't want to replay several entire games just because I missed something in the first one...

(This is probably why I actually prefered FF games, they are completely disconnected from each other).

You poor, crazy, masochistic bastard.

I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma. Lots of discovery and places to explore. Japanese take on the western open world RPG featuring the best combat in the entire genre. I enjoyed it more than any of Bethesda's games.

This I'll look into, TY.

Witcher 1 and 2, while they had solid story, were absolutely horrible in terms of gameplay. Honestly I'd stay away from them -- or at very least from TW1, as its combat system is literally one of the worst I've ever seen.

I've never read the books and so far at least don't care to, and didn't want to have to read a bunch of backstory in game (though I did break down and read a fair bit of it in the end)... so sadly some things in The Witcher 3 went right over my head, which became all the more clear the farther I got in to the game. The story and characters were compelling though, and I wanted to know more. After I finished 3 as well as Hearts of Stone (since Blood and Wine wasn't out yet) I went back to the first 2 games. I'd tried in the past but couldn't get in to due to the clunky interfaces and, to my mind, terrible battle mechanics.

The Witcher 2 is also clunky, but at least you aren't clicking to maintain sword combos anymore. I think I remember people complaining the combat was "dumbed down" since you went from having 3 modes to just fast swings and strong swings. Those people are insane. Losing so much about what made TW3 great is hard, however, and has kept me from getting more than maybe 5 or 6 hours in at this point, over as many weeks. Where I could play TW3 for several hours at a time and be ready for more, it's rare I come away from even an hour of TW2 feeling like it was time well spent. Gone is fast travel of any sort, at least to start -- as I understand you get some teleporters later, but they're limited. Gone is your ability to move fluidly through the world -- fences and small outcroppings that would be easily jumped or vaulted over in TW3 are hard walls that are impassible... That is, unless you get the little prompt when you walk near enough, hit the interact key and wait through an animation. More than once I've quit for the day after realizing the game was going to make me walk around a "mountain" / steep hill that I could've easily scaled in TW3. I realize this was probably a time / cost saving measure, but it has a strong negative affect on immersion. If I could walk over it, my badass mutated monsterslayer for hire should sure as hell be able to. The game has controller support but clearly wasn't made with it in mind, and I've yet to figure out how to map enough things to make it playable without switching back and forth between controller and KB/M. Normally I'm a strong KB/M advocate, but this sort of game seems to play best for me with a controller -- I guess I got spoiled by Bioware and Mass Effect / Dragon Age? Going back in this case just makes it feel clunky again. Also, I have no problem with the amount of nudity and sex in these games... but it was awkward in TW3's engine, which is otherwise very capable of making a beautiful, vibrant world come to life. In TW1/TW2's engine? Agonizingly bad.

Again, I want to like these games. I just... can't.

The Witcher 3, however? Give it a couple hours. The learning curve can be a bit steep, but it, unlike its predecessors, is totally worth it.

Silent Circuit apparently hates the game. Some of his points are valid. Just remind yourself that you're going into a game that has some years on it. Don't hold any expectations.

I'd say if you want a really good story driven game in a mature fantasy setting then you will probably like it.

Metal Gear Phantom Pain, Witcher 3, Skyrim with a bunch of mods.

You poor, crazy, masochistic bastard.
I'll take that as a compliment :D

But that's me, I would prefer games that involve both combat and story line, but the style of the combat actually doesn't really bother me too much. I kinda liked Witcher 1 combat as it wasn't a button mashing fest (unlike say the likes of DMC4, where perfect timing is everything, which is not my forte).

Speaking of The Witcher 3. For those who bought the physical version, is it true you just install it. No Internet checks, registration, or any sort of online requirements at all? Seems total oldschool. How do you update it (is there a built in updater)?

Speaking of The Witcher 3. For those who bought the physical version, is it true you just install it. No Internet checks, registration, or any sort of online requirements at all? Seems total oldschool. How do you update it (is there a built in updater)

Don't know about the physical copy, but the GOG version is DRM free, you just register it to your account and download patches as necessary.

Probably works the same - you get a key for patches, there's no online check to play the version you have installed.

CD Projekt Red owns GOG. It's their platform.

If you haven't played it I really recommend Fallout New Vegas. I really found it to be a great game in that respect. The story is engaging, lots of side quests, plenty of stuff to do, you can play the game your own way to a very large extent.

If you haven't played it I really recommend Fallout New Vegas. I really found it to be a great game in that respect. The story is engaging, lots of side quests, plenty of stuff to do, you can play the game your own way to a very large extent.

Could be a great game for them but OP is explorer type, which means constant fucking NVisible walls if they explore...

Speaking of The Witcher 3. For those who bought the physical version, is it true you just install it. No Internet checks, registration, or any sort of online requirements at all? Seems total oldschool. How do you update it (is there a built in updater)?

The game has been patched and improved so much. I pity the fool who would attempt to play the disc version!

http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Patch+Notes

Back