I need a Gaming Mouse!

Spartan468

n00b
I need a new gaming mouse for my new system.
( Build Thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1766811 )

My Logitexh MX518 still works fine, but i need more dpi resolution and more thumb-buttons.

I seen the Logitech G500s and G600 having good reviews, but it seems they also have sensor problems, so unless they fixed these problem, i am not even going to consider getting one.

The Corsair Vengeance M95 looks nice and i like the thumb-buttons layout.

I would like to here what you guys have to say about mice.

Fore me, bigger = better.
I just find bigger mice more comfortable.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that i am right handed, so i do not need any ambidextrous or left-handed mice.

I've had a G500 for a few years now, and still love it. Two of my close friends have the G500 as well and love theirs, never had any problems with them. I use mine a lot, on a hard mouse pad and my feet have worn out a bit over the years of use. I actually called Logitech to enquire about buying some replacement feet. Their customer service was great; I was talking to a human (one that spoke perfect english, which is a nice change) about 30 seconds after dailing. He asked for me serial number, and shipped me replacement feet free of charge.

I wouldn't completely rule the G500 out, (unless you find it too small) it's great pointing device, and is supported by some good software, and (in my experience at least) great customer service.

I love my Corsair m60 mouse but it is a bit short. If you are the type to use the mouse with your fingers rather than your wrist than this would be for you.

I've also had a G500; never noticed a sensor problem (haven't heard much about sensor problems with the mouse either).

My one complaint--and it's minor--is that the center button for the thumb (on the side of the mouse) is easy to depress when moving the mouse. I initially had that button bound to "show desktop," but after a few games where I hit the button accidentally, I soon changed it...

But all in all, I really like this mouse; it's been the best mouse I've ever had.

I love my Corsair m60 mouse but it is a bit short. If you are the type to use the mouse with your fingers rather than your wrist than this would be for you.
Yes, most of the time i do move the mouse around with my fingers while my wrist sits on the mouse pad.

First time i saw comments about G500/600 sensor problem i googled it and i found too many results. In my country i will have to deal with the local reatailer for warranty issue and their support sucks, so i will try to stay away, unlesss they have come up with an updated model.

I would like to hear suggestions about mice in generally, not only the ones i mentioned. I am open to any brand if the product is good.

Did you consider the G400s?

The DeathAdder 2013 might be big enough.

The G500/600/700 might have noticeable acceleration because of their sensors.

I really thank you all for your replies!

The G400s seems the same like my MX518. Although it has a better sensor, it has exactly the same thumb-buttons. The second main reason i consider a new mouse is to have more buttons.

DeathAdder 2013. Even less buttons. and the very curvy shape seems uncomfortable for my hand.

The Corsair M95 and Logitech G600 seem to be about the right shape.

Logitech says that they fixed the problem in newer models, but i am sure that in my country they will try to sell me older model mice...
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-series-Gaming-Mice/G600-Mouse-Movement-issues/td-p/863548/page/13

I'm using a Mx518 just like you, but im really thinking about getting a g500, friend of mine has one and im loving the way it feels

Skip the G500. I have one, faulty mouse buttons. Go for the G500s if you really love the shape.

Skip the G500. I have one, faulty mouse buttons. Go for the G500s if you really love the shape.

I probably will, but I want to wait til my mx518 stops working before i get another mouse, I've had this thing since it came out lol and its still running good

My MX518 is in my possession for more or less 7 years. In that time i have "abuse" it. I don't think these mice can fail soon.

Local Internet stations/cafes used the same mice 24/7 and most of them where retired in working condition after years to get new, and some establishments gave them or sold them to costumers.

So, unless your MX518 is dying, do not wait for it to stop working.

(P.S You can open it and make it not working... :cool: )

My MX518 is in my possession for more or less 7 years. In that time i have "abuse" it. I don't think these mice can fail soon.

Local Internet stations/cafes used the same mice 24/7 and most of them where retired in working condition after years to get new, and some establishments gave them or sold them to costumers.

So, unless your MX518 is dying, do not wait for it to stop working.

(P.S You can open it and make it not working... :cool: )

LOL I'll keep it in mind but i don't plan on upgrading for awhile =)

Run down to Best Buy and see if you like the new DeathAdder 2013. It is my all time favorite mouse ever. I own about a dozen mice from standard $30 Microsoft Office mice to the $100 G700 and the DA2013 is the most comfortable by a long shot and has a much better sensor than the previous DeathAdder 3.5G and is even better than the Sensei (both of which I also own.....I'm a mouse addict).

If however you like a little bigger mouse, give the G700 a look. It is a superb mouse and works wired or wireless and works just fine either way. Very customizable with plenty of options and a great shape to it. It's on my short list of greatest mice ever too.

We have no Best Buy in Greece. I might move in the U.S for study, but this is a long time to wait.

Unfortunately here they do not have mice for the public to see in all of the big shops. Most of the time they bring a mouse after you order it... :rolleyes:

Yes, some shops might have it, but if i need 4-6+ euros in tickets to go check it, is not cost effective...

No sensors problems on my G600... if you play a lot of MMOs or games that use macros, than G600 is a sweet mouse to go.

We have no Best Buy in Greece. I might move in the U.S for study, but this is a long time to wait.

Unfortunately here they do not have mice for the public to see in all of the big shops. Most of the time they bring a mouse after you order it... :rolleyes:

Yes, some shops might have it, but if i need 4-6+ euros in tickets to go check it, is not cost effective...

Well if you like the MX518, you'll probably like the DeathAdder 2013. It's a little smaller where the G500 and G700 are a little bigger. I'm gonna go ahead and the DA2013 cause it really is superb.

The various Steelseries World of Warcraft mice have extra buttons and are apparently on the bigger side.

My old mouse scroll wheel hit the dirt a week ago, I decided to get the Func MS-3 but it was out of stock locally. I went with the Mionix Naos 8200 instead. I think its really comfortable, You can actually rest all you fingers on the mouse.

I just purchased the G500s and I love it. The sensor issues some people were experiencing have been fixed in a firmware upgrade.

Be aware though some people have seen the g500 in the g500s box at bestbuy and walmart. In fact I personally saw this at a walmart here in ohio. the front of the box opens revealing the mouse. without actually opening the box. If you pick one up make sure you check for this.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-ser...d-as-G500s/m-p/1061903/highlight/false#M23089

As far as the mouse goes I have not had a single issue. I upgraded the firmware to be safe but so far it has been a great mouse. I have only owned it for less than a week but so far I have been impressed.

Any one heard of this happening in other Countries?

That will cause a problem for me if i have to order it, and usually you have to because it is "expensive", so i cannot have a look at it before.

Run down to Best Buy and see if you like the new DeathAdder 2013. It is my all time favorite mouse ever. I own about a dozen mice from standard $30 Microsoft Office mice to the $100 G700 and the DA2013 is the most comfortable by a long shot and has a much better sensor than the previous DeathAdder 3.5G and is even better than the Sensei (both of which I also own.....I'm a mouse addict).

If however you like a little bigger mouse, give the G700 a look. It is a superb mouse and works wired or wireless and works just fine either way. Very customizable with plenty of options and a great shape to it. It's on my short list of greatest mice ever too.

I've never seen the DeathAdder at Best Buy before. I've gone through countless mice and I can't find a single one that is comfortable. I'm mainly a fingertip user. Would this mouse be suitable for a fingertip user?

I've never seen the DeathAdder at Best Buy before. I've gone through countless mice and I can't find a single one that is comfortable. I'm mainly a fingertip user. Would this mouse be suitable for a fingertip user?
Fingertip? Storm Spawn or Xornet. If you're right-handed, since they have the ledge on the right. But I guess a lefty could use it too.

If you're a fingertip user, I'm thinking the most uncomfortable parts of a mouse are when it's high and long. Something like a Logitech MX518 can raise the palm in the middle and push against it in the back. It's not bad, and is a good design for most people, but something like a Spawn/Xornet is lower and shorter and doesn't force your palm to curve or rise up.

There are very low mice out there, but it might be hard to find one over about 1000dpi, or with thumb buttons.

Fingertip? Storm Spawn or Xornet. If you're right-handed, since they have the ledge on the right. But I guess a lefty could use it too.

If you're a fingertip user, I'm thinking the most uncomfortable parts of a mouse are when it's high and long. Something like a Logitech MX518 can raise the palm in the middle and push against it in the back. It's not bad, and is a good design for most people, but something like a Spawn/Xornet is lower and shorter and doesn't force your palm to curve or rise up.

There are very low mice out there, but it might be hard to find one over about 1000dpi, or with thumb buttons.

Yeah, I tried the Spawn and the mouse would have been perfect if not for that stupid groove thing where you rest your ring finger. I know that a lot of people love that groove but for me, it makes the mouse too wide for my hands. I like to grip the right base of the mouse with my ring and pinky fingers and I can't do that with the Spawn.

Yeah, I tried the Spawn and the mouse would have been perfect if not for that stupid groove thing where you rest your ring finger. I know that a lot of people love that groove but for me, it makes the mouse too wide for my hands. I like to grip the right base of the mouse with my ring and pinky fingers and I can't do that with the Spawn.
Ever try a Logitech G9? You sound like a good candidate for one. I haven't, but they look pretty low and short and no finger ledge.

Ever try a Logitech G9? You sound like a good candidate for one. I haven't, but they look pretty low and short and no finger ledge.

Yup, tried that, too. That mouse also would have been perfect, too, if not for the silver protruding thingies, where you attach the shells to them. Those silver protruding things - my hands somehow kept hitting them and thus, was uncomfortable. The two shells that came with it - didn't like those, either. But I did like that mouse itself (minus the silver thingies), though, but ended up selling it because I just couldn't use it. :(

Last edited:
I have a G500 and a G600. I like both for different uses. A G500 is a good all-around mouse I think. It's nice and smooth and heavy enough (depending on the weights you put in it). The G600 takes some time to get used to. Configuring the side buttons is a chore sometimes, but I've come to rely on the left right wheel tilt buttons for forward and backward movement (web pages etc). I find myself trying to tilt every mouse's wheel for those functions. It also tracks very smooth. I've got steelseries mousepads and they're great.

My two cents; negatory here for G500. I own two with click/button problems. You can read my previous posts as to why, but YMMV.

I would try something else first. Logitech quality has gone downhill since the G5/MX518.

I recently bought a Roccat Kone XTD to replace my aging Logitech G5. I had purchased a G500 a few years back but hated it because of the hybrid scroll wheel. The XTD exceeded my expectations and it has become my go to mouse for my primary gaming system. It's definately on the pricey side but well worth it.

Never really considered Roccat before, but it looks like they make pretty good mice? Looks like they have a new optical mouse that released today:

http://www.techpowerup.com/187715/r...sense-meteor-blue-mousepad-now-available.html

This is cool. I wish more review sites would show a bunch of mice together like they do in this pic, so you get a sense of how big said mouse is compared to other mice:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1412144/roccat-kone-pure-optical-review

Hmm, that Gigabyte mouse looks interesting. I wonder how it is for fingertip grip? Anyone have experience with Gigabyte mice? I've never considered them before, either.

Last edited:
Have you considered the Mionix Naos?

I have the Naos 3200 and it's amazingly comfortable, yet not slippery to the point where you lose control of it either (like the Black Edition DeathAdder)

It has a high LOD, but that can be solved with a half decent mousepad, or scotch-tape for that matter. I got a Mionix Sargas 320 mousepad for free, and it works beautifully with the Naos 3200

Yeah, judging by the pics of the Naos, it looks like it's in the shape of the Spawn, which I don't like. I don't like the rest thing where you rest your ring finger. It makes the mouse too wide, and I also like to place both my ring/pinky fingers at the base of the mouse.

Seems you and me are the same, difficult to find a good mouse that is comfortable and I also grip it that way with pinky + ring finger resting at the side and thumb on the other side, I mostly want to grab my mouse that way with the thumb + pinky+ring finger (well mostly ring finger) on the other side and can easily manuever it in the air with no effort with that grip and the fingertips just rest lightly on the mouse at top.

Well if you happen to find one I'd be very interested in what you settled for, as for myself I'm still using an MX518, while not the ideal shape/size (slightly too long & narrow), it feels very comfortable though for me mainly due to the well rounded shape at the back and the tallest or where the height is centered I notice it's extremely important that it's not placed too far back for me, needs to be quite in the middle or few millimeters towards the back most as I don't want my palm to touch the backside of it, should be slight space in-between the palm and the mouse but at the lower edge the side of the palm is resting against the mouse though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise.
May i ask what mice do you have in mind?

I hand fixed my Logitech mice, it's a good stop-gap solution until they irreparably break and I need to buy a new one. So I haven't tried many other mice on the market right now. I'd be interested in hearing recommendations myself.

I also grip it that way with pinky + ring finger resting at the side and thumb on the other side, I mostly want to grab my mouse that way with the thumb + pinky+ring finger (well mostly ring finger) on the other side and can easily manuever it in the air with no effort with that grip and the fingertips just rest lightly on the mouse at top.

I grip like this as well! I used the G5 for years and now I'm using the G500. It's okay and I've gotten used to the shape. I wonder what a 'flatter'/smaller mouse would feel like. At work I use a cheap Logitech M310 which is smaller in every dimension and it feels fine. Looking forward to mice suggestions with this type of grip.

RPGWiZaRD & iJeff -

Looks like we all have the same grips! :) Don't know if the below mouse is coming out to the US or not. It's supposed to be a very low profile mouse - Devastator MS2K from CM Storm. The shape looks good. I just hope it's not too long.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/cm-storm-gaming-peripherals-computex-showcase/35450.html

I can't seem to find any details on the internet for this mouse, other than these specifications:

Ergonomic ultra flat mouse body
800, 1600 and 2000 DPI settings
Large high-precision mouse wheel
Solid rubber side pads for added stability
Blue LED backlighting

I can't seem to find any details on the internet for this mouse, other than these specifications:

Ergonomic ultra flat mouse body
800, 1600 and 2000 DPI settings
Large high-precision mouse wheel
Solid rubber side pads for added stability
Blue LED backlighting

That rules out that mouse for me, I prefer 400 DPI, what I've gotten used to, would be too much hazzle getting used to a higher DPI feel.

G500 here, have had it for about 2 years now, no complaints

moved from a MX518 when it died... that was a sad day

Back