I need a Blu-Ray writer that won't die after 6 months to 1 year

I don't think I've had an optical drive that lasted since the days when Plextor still made their own hardware and when Pioneer had their slot-load optical drives. Can anyone recommend me a Blu-Ray writer/reader that will last and not die after a very small amount of time?

sinisterDei

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got one of these for about a year now, with light use and no issues. It mostly gets used as a reader though, with the occasional CD or DVD getting burnt. Not sure I've ever burnt a BD. It's the only optical drive in my house and occasionally gets pulled out to play the odd DVD.

Maybe I can ask, what's the use case that requires writing Blu-Rays these days?

N4CR

Supreme [H]ardness
Have an Asus bd writer that's lasted since 6700k without issue, occasional use though.

John721

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't think I've had an optical drive that lasted since the days when Plextor still made their own hardware and when Pioneer had their slot-load optical drives. Can anyone recommend me a Blu-Ray writer/reader that will last and not die after a very small amount of time?

Which brands have you had die on you? I have an LG blu-ray burner in my machine, but honestly, the main reason its held up may simply be because I hardly use it.

DogsofJune

2[H]4U
Been sporting a couple of LG blu-ray burners in my boxes. Six or seven years old now. Never an issue. Not the fastest, but solid.

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got one of the LG ones too. I've burned about ~150 blurays both 25GB/50GB variety and it's still rocking strong.

DrBorg

Gawd
It's funny, I just had one die, and had to order a new one.

It still reads DVD and CDs just fine, writes both as well.

My guess is the blue laser dies, most likely.

They dissipate ~2x as much power; most red lasers are ~1.8V, where blue ones are closer to 4V.

I'll post back up after I replace it, I'll look and see if it's dead.

craigdt

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't think I've had an optical drive that lasted since the days when Plextor still made their own hardware

plmusf5.jpg

cjcox

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the LG BD-RE GGW-H20L since "forever". Still working.

Very good to know that your LGs are still working. They actually have really good reviews on Newegg but if you search by the 1 star, there are also quite a lot of people who've had them die in a short period of time. I can attest to that. I have had two LGs die less than a year old.