I mounted the mobo before I installed the CPU and RAM

I haven't upgrade in a while and i did a bone head move. I mounted the motherboard on the tray before I installed the CPU and RAM. While pressing on the heatsink while the mobo was mounted I hear a creak a slight crack. Did i press too hard? Is this something I have to worry about? I wasn't able to turn on the system yet as I am still waiting on a 8pin connector extension because I have a bottom mounting PSU.

Normally the board is robust enough to install those even when innstalled. It'll bend, but it won't break anything important. Normally.

Oh good. I was sooooo looking forward to the upgrade that I did not do thing slowly like I normally do. It's been so long since my last upgrade that I probably forgot all the proper steps and precautions. I had a hell of a time putting the 4 pin snap on the i7-2600K's stock cooler too, coming from the AMD installation. The arrow on the pin confused me.

Its probably fine and its not your fault the Intel 4 pin snap on cooler retention system can be a PITA to work with.

Yeah the 4 pin setup kept loosen like 2-3 times... hopefully it doesn't put air bubble on the thermal paste... the stock heatsink seems to come with the right amount of paste so it is probably. It probably took me 30 minutes to install the heatsink, normally it would have been a 5 minute job.

I change ram and remount the cpu heatsink all of the time with the motherboard installed. Never had a problem. You might have problems if you dont put all of the motherboard screws in for support. And the motherboard wont boot without the 8pin I'm pretty sure.

Yeah i'm waiting on the 8pin connector extension from the egg. Should be at my doorstep after the weekend. I'll do something else during the weekend instead. Wish it would arrive today so that i can get the rig up and running.... so anxious! :)

I change ram and remount the cpu heatsink all of the time with the motherboard installed. Never had a problem. You might have problems if you dont put all of the motherboard screws in for support. And the motherboard wont boot without the 8pin I'm pretty sure.

I 2nd this. If you have all of the stand off's and screws installed, you should be fine.

Back