I miss pc gaming. Help me built the best bang for the buck parts.

EvoFreak

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone! Been out for a while on pc gaming an im kinda itching to built one my self. I will mostly play action games like BF3 and intense graphic games. Now that the ivy bridge is out. Im thinking of purchasing the cheapest ivy bridge cpu ram and mobo and spend all the rest on the best GPU. Im not planning to overclock the cpu.

The question i have is having the highend mobos is really that necessary if ur really gonna run it stock? Will i see big fps for having the high end cpu/combo compare to decent cpu/mobo combo.

Im planning to buy the 7000 series amd unless its worth having the 6xx series from nvidia.

670 GTX is a monster.. Should allow you to run BF3 maxed out at 1080P.

Don't skimp on storage either, an SSD drive should be part of the build.

Does having the 670 with decent cpu/combo is good enough? Or will it bottleneck the 670?

Whats your budget? Do you have a microcenter near you? Are you willing to purchase used? Do you have a power supply already?

You might want to start a thread in the general hardware subforum.

SSD isnt needed but if you want to load in 5 seconds before others spend the cash. I would recomend going for good cpu and gpu and then find the best bang for the buck parts elsewhere.

yeah, if you aren't going to oc go for the cheap. i5 3450 and a cheap H series mobo ( preferably a slightly reputable brand). Also +1 on the 670

my 2 cents.

edit: yeah, no ssd as well.

I would still recommend getting a half decent tower cooler, and doing a mild overclock, mainly just because it's fun. You can get a Hyper 212 cooler for $30+ $10 mail-in rebate at Newegg. I would recommend an i5 as well, i3 would be fine, but I just think we will see games using more cores as time progresses, and the performance difference will be greater.

Gtx 670 does seem to be the best bang for the buck on the high end right now. You can probably find a good deal on a 560ti or a Radeon 6870 or something too though, which will do the job pretty well, and be half the price or less.

See my sig

Mobo was like $120
Card was $215
Mem $45
CPU $190

totals out $570

Get a better video card like GTX 670 puts you @ $750

Get a high quality 650W+ PSU like seasonic or corsair for $80-$100

SSD is must - not only are they silent they are night and day difference from HDD. Figure $100-$200

I'd argue an SSD is not a MUST at all. I have a regular OLD Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm drive and usually in BF3 I'm in the game before 90% of people and even if I am I usually have to wait for them. I'm sure an SSD is faster, but they aren't needed and they really aren't available in large capacity right now for under $400

I'd argue an SSD is not a MUST at all. I have a regular OLD Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm drive and usually in BF3 I'm in the game before 90% of people and even if I am I usually have to wait for them. I'm sure an SSD is faster, but they aren't needed and they really aren't available in large capacity right now for under $400

This is the truth- Samsungs F3 1TB is an awesome drive for ~$90.

Thing is, SSDs are quickly approaching $1/GB, and if you don't need the extra space, they're worth the investment.

Back