I miss 20 years ago when every mall had an arcade place

Uhmmm... 1 hit? I'm not aware of any 1-hit "combos" that did 100% damage in MK3... however, I did happen upon a 2-hit 50% combo with Cyrax many many years ago... freaked people the fuck out when I did it too. Timing was tough, however: toss a short grenade, net 'em, when they slide in do a roundhouse that connects the instant the grenade blows... counts as 2 hits at 50%. That changed with a later update to the game firmware, however, to drop it to 35% or so, kinda sucky...

But 1-hit 100%? That would definitely be a neat trick...

Well, I don't remember exactly what happened. Just that the guy did some fancy stick movements and the cheat was entered, and I died in about 5 seconds. Maybe it wasn't one hit.

There's a sweet arcade here in Lansing, MI called Pinball Pete's that's still going strong after all these years. Switched from a shopping center to directly on MSU campus, and while I think it lost some luster when it moved, it's still a sweet arcade. Good mix of old school and newer machines. I like going there sometimes when I need a kick of nostalgia.

Gee, I've never heard of someone being beat that bad that fast on a video game before... </sarcasm> :D

I do recall whipping someone's ass in SF2:THF once... Ken vs Ken, as soon as the clock started I jumped in, Fierce-Strong-Strong Uppercut, stars... step back, jump in, Fierce-Strong-Strong Uppercut, dead... 94 on the clock, so... from 99 to 94... ;)

Uhmmm... 1 hit? I'm not aware of any 1-hit "combos" that did 100% damage in MK3... however, I did happen upon a 2-hit 50% combo with Cyrax many many years ago... freaked people the fuck out when I did it too. Timing was tough, however: toss a short grenade, net 'em, when they slide in do a roundhouse that connects the instant the grenade blows... counts as 2 hits at 50%. That changed with a later update to the game firmware, however, to drop it to 35% or so, kinda sucky...

But 1-hit 100%? That would definitely be a neat trick...

Cyrax did have some cheap combos. You could get away with uppercut, net, upercut, net, etc, etc. That was akin to the combos you could pull off in Killer Instinct with Eyedol or Cinder. But that is something completely different :)

Oh how I miss the 80 hit Ultras!

I'm pretty sure I'm probably younger than the most here but I spent almost 5 years where I was nearly in an arcade every day. I miss those days so much.

One of the best parts of arcade gaming is the fact that you have to pay everytime you play. Because of that, you don't want to die, you want to get the most out of your money, and because of that, you become better and better each time you pop another quarter into a machine.

Anything I could say has already been said in one of my favorite commentaries I've ever read. Young or old, arcade gamer or not, everyone should read this article.

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/arcade_culture/

In hong kong arcades are popular as hell. I think what killed it for me was 25c -> $2. That's right, they changed the price, and amount of tokens required. Rip off.

Oh man, the memories you guys are bringing back.

Here in OKC, there used to be a great arcade called Aladdin's Castle in one of our malls. It had everything from the latest and greatest games with motion (Afterburner anyone?) to all the great stand ups. My biggest vice however, was pinball machines. Pinbot, F-14Tomcat, Funhouse (my favorite of all time), Whirlwind, Haunted House, and even the later machines by Williams/Bally's were awesome such as Theater of Magic, Twilight Zone and Phantom of the Opera. I must have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars growing up playing these games.

There are a few old school arcades still around. One in particular that I am thinking of, is located in Missouri at the Bagnell Dam strip on Lake of the Ozarks near Osage Beach. Also, Branson Missouri still has some great places as they have a lot of go cart tracks that have been around since the early 80's and still have games from that time period.

Thanks op for the memories. That was such an easier time for all of us and most of us still had our parents and grandparents around who may be long gone now:(.

Back