I microwaved a R9 390X gaming and now my pc won't run after 3rd time

1 Microwaved graphics card for few minutes, because it has the overheating issues.
2 Plastic around pins were melted and some plugs around interface sockets, the metal part, had some burning coming out.
3 Removed the graphics card, installed it, failed to show anything on the display at all.
4 3rd time PC won't even turn on as in power. The ethernet LED was lit.
4 Tried that again with unplugging cables and having one RAM only in the PC and only the main SSD
5 Now the PC won't turn on at all, ethernet LED is not turning on.
6 tried couple of tricks from the internet to turn it on like have a screw driver on both power switch pins but nothing happthis is a spoof right.
1 Microwaved graphics card for few minutes, because it has the overheating issues.
2 Plastic around pins were melted and some plugs around interface sockets, the metal part, had some burning coming out.
3 Removed the graphics card, installed it, failed to show anything on the display at all.
4 3rd time PC won't even turn on as in power. The ethernet LED was lit.
4 Tried that again with unplugging cables and having one RAM only in the PC and only the main SSD
5 Now the PC won't turn on at all, ethernet LED is not turning on.
6 tried couple of tricks from the internet to turn it on like have a screw driver on both power switch pins but nothing happens.
7 HELP !!!
This is a spoof I hope. If not, never in your lifetime ever try to to repair a Gawd damn thing. The world will thank you for it. Love Putin.

Hand write it with number 1 pencil. Fold up the paper and microwave on high for at least 30 seconds. ;-)

No... you trace the design with a sharpie on tinfloil. Crumple into a ball. Inject the ball heavily with GE Silicon and microwave for 10 minutes.

The ball expands and eventually lays out flat with the aluminum foil adhered to a flat silicon sheet. One it cools you remove the sheet, slowly separate the foil from the silicon sheet, and the traces you created with the sharpie magically remain.

If you want to use the method for an integrated circuit you simply need to affix the components to the sheet using small tweezers and a microscope, in the appropriate positions of course, before crumpling the medium into a "Quantum Ball-Grid Array". The components will be properly positioned and affixed via the "Thermal Un-Balling Process" .

Once the product has been balled and un-balled. You test for binning.

That's how TSMC makes their electronics. And you can too.

What I notices is that it creates fire around it. That means it sort of melts or soften the metals under its waves.
LOL! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Seriously, did you try another known good card? I'd go with an old one or really cheap one, just in case your entire system is now a welding machine.

How do the newer cards fare with this amazing technique? Good?

All newer generation cards fare quite well. Use "Hi" for 3 minutes. EXCEPTION: the RTX4090, due to its well-known high power consumption, needs "Defrost" for 30 minutes. (Or, just set the microwave to frozen ground beef, 10 lbs.)

(Unless your microwave does not use 120v/60Hz. If you're on some other power transmission system, double the above times.)

All newer generation cards fare quite well. Use "Hi" for 3 minutes. EXCEPTION: the RTX4090, due to its well-known high power consumption, needs "Defrost" for 30 minutes. (Or, just set the microwave to frozen ground beef, 10 lbs.)

(Unless your microwave does not use 120v/60Hz. If you're on some other power transmission system, double the above times.)
I just ordered four 4090s for a quad sli setup. I think I might put them in the microwave before install to make sure all of the solder joints are set.

Do you think I should do them one at a time or do all 4 together? I think it might be better to do all 4 so that they all get exactly the same waves?

I just ordered four 4090s for a quad sli setup. I think I might put them in the microwave before install to make sure all of the solder joints are set.

Do you think I should do them one at a time or do all 4 together? I think it might be better to do all 4 so that they all get exactly the same waves?
All 4 at the same time, but you're gonna need those X1 to X16 slot adapter things people use for mining since 4 of them will exceed the ATX spec for board length in the expansion slots. Gotta use those riser cables to get them out of the way. The X1 slot bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
All 4 at the same time, but you're gonna need those X1 to X16 slot adapter things people use for mining since 4 of them will exceed the ATX spec for board length in the expansion slots. Gotta use those riser cables to get them out of the way. The X1 slot bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.
I was planning on hooking them together with the display pert cables in thunderbolt mode. I have 3x deep cycle marine batteries wired in line with 3x 1200watt at power supplies for the power. Have to run extension cords from different circuts to keep brakes from tripping, lol.
Can't wait to fire this up!!!

Keeping it alive in 2023.

Out of curiosity, I googled his username.
Came across a "princeboy47" on an Arab Hardware forum. Google translated a post he made and mentioned he lives in Egypt. Perhaps that's why he microwaved it....I doubt ovens are common place in a country that rarely gets below 50°F during their "winter" and average summer highs of almost 100°F.

Keeping it alive in 2023.

Out of curiosity, I googled his username.
Came across a "princeboy47" on an Arab Hardware forum. Google translated a post he made and mentioned he lives in Egypt. Perhaps that's why he microwaved it....I doubt ovens are common place in a country that rarely gets below 50°F during their "winter" and average summer highs of almost 100°F.
Neither of those temperatures cook food. So... Neat?

Something I noticed, back when I made videos about graphics card repairs for Youtube, is that most of the audience was in the parts of the world that don't have such strong trade ties with China and Taiwan, I assume because the people there are less affluent, but it seems like it was more of an availability thing than one of cost.

I had one guy from Jordan reach out to me, desperate to get his R9 390X working again. He was incredulous that I had a 6900XT, and explained that that card costs like six months' salary for a normal person in his country, but that the real problem was that you can't just order another card from Newegg and have it show up in a few days. It wouldn't shock me to find out that the situation in Egypt is similar, where the problems of availability we have here in the states are compounded by a lack of well developed distribution and retailer infrastructure.

WRT to why this guy microwaved the card, I can imagine language being an issue, too. The Jordanian dude seemed to have an alright understanding of basic English, and very clearly understood the mechanical process of "heat component with hot air, remove from board, replace, solder with hot air" but really struggled with understanding me when I tried to explain that he needed to get an ohmmeter and confirm that the suspect component was actually failed before he started ordering parts (which are also not easily available from outfits like Mouser and DigiKey in Jordan, apparently).

Something I noticed, back when I made videos about graphics card repairs for Youtube, is that most of the audience was in the parts of the world that don't have such strong trade ties with China and Taiwan, I assume because the people there are less affluent, but it seems like it was more of an availability thing than one of cost.

I had one guy from Jordan reach out to me, desperate to get his R9 390X working again. He was incredulous that I had a 6900XT, and explained that that card costs like six months' salary for a normal person in his country, but that the real problem was that you can't just order another card from Newegg and have it show up in a few days. It wouldn't shock me to find out that the situation in Egypt is similar, where the problems of availability we have here in the states are compounded by a lack of well developed distribution and retailer infrastructure.
I imagine a few other issues due to lower wages.
Theres more chance of gfx hardware deliveries being stolen due to net worth, and getting refunds is sure to be more difficult.
Made worse when it costs you so much to buy!
And the the increased risk you will be burgled once its known what you have.
Risky business owning a high end PC.

how has this fallen out of any current discussion... like a phoenix rises from the ashes of the microwave so does this thread.
pic2897087.jpeg

I don't know how big of a microwave you have... but I do believe that putting a snatch inside of one is like pulling it from the fridge to begin with.

Usually blue lights are involved.

If you don't have a microwave that can handle a large card like a 390, you can also deep fry it in mineral oil. NOT VEGETABLE OIL.

If you don't have a microwave that can handle a large card like a 390, you can also deep fry it in mineral oil. NOT VEGETABLE OIL.
More relevant to the time period, you can fix your EGA card by using the brownie setting on an Easy Bake Oven. Or so I've heard.

Back