I microwaved a R9 390X gaming and now my pc won't run after 3rd time

I'll give you the only real answer.

Put it on ebay "as is" "parts only" and some dummy will give you $100 for it.

Use this $100 to purchase another microwave.
$100 for a broken 390X in 2021 are you mad?

it'll go for at least $200

OP, if u read this, I feel bad for ya and ppl are being mean, but yr GPU and mobo are done. The GPU 100% for sure and I would be surprised if the motherboard is salvageable.

And I got laughed at for washing a motherboard with a chip brush and soapy water to maybe dislodge any tin whiskers and putting in a 250 degree or less oven to dry during the the old athlon days.

$100 for a broken 390X in 2021 are you mad?

it'll go for at least $200

OP, if u read this, I feel bad for ya and ppl are being mean, but yr GPU and mobo are done. The GPU 100% for sure and I would be surprised if the motherboard is salvageable.

People are being "mean" because he put his GPU in the microwave. An oven we can understand. However, the microwave was a bad plan and we can't imagine how he came to the conclusion that this was in any way a good idea that would end any other way than it did.

People are being "mean" because he put his GPU in the microwave. An oven we can understand. However, the microwave was a bad plan and we can't imagine how he came to the conclusion that this was in any way a good idea that would end any other way than it did.
it was a terrible plan and hopefully lessons about risk-taking, failure modes, and electromagnetism are learned

And I got laughed at for washing a motherboard with a chip brush and soapy water to maybe dislodge any tin whiskers and putting in a 250 degree or less oven to dry during the the old athlon days.

That's because you NEVER, EVER dry electronics in an oven. You zip tie them to the rim of your car/truck and drive for a minimum of 50 miles to "fling" the water off.

An intro to electronics and ESD safety is in order, I think. Like, from an actual instructor, not some dude on youtube (although some of them dudes are trustworthy/reliable).

Currently I find only that PS has 2 responses from clip, pin No 4 (for power, I think) and pin No 8 turns on fan only, while pin No 4 with pin No 16 (the one just above 4) keeps the PS powering on just to make a tick sound and then off instantly. Pin No 4 and any other pin do nothing, though I notice some tiny sparks when connecting the pins ( with simple electric wire). Could this means the only thing got damaged in graphics card is the 8 and 6 pins and the PS got damaged by the pin connector?

View attachment 349298
if thats a burn mark on the right its a dead gpu, looks like a little birdy...
solder spot looks like it was shorting out, whatever is on the other side could be dead.

View attachment 349299
View attachment 349300
may have killed the slot and/or board and/or psu...

ps: did you leave the heatsink on too? lol...
Just to follow up on these pics since they're nice and small with highlight circles.

Your GPU is dead. It will never work because it looks like that section of the PCB had a high current event and likely burnt up some PCB layers and likely shorted together some power and ground planes. Whatever caused this to happened likely means there were some component failures on the board so even more stuff is broken. Putting it in the microwave was pretty much the coups de grace.

Since the PC won't power on at all even with the GPU removed, along with the fried 3.3V rail, then your motherboard is also likely destroyed.

Take the L and move on.

Your only possible save move is to put this in the microwave again but on the Defrost setting, roast, about 2 lbs, and remember to flip it over when prompted.

So how did the idea of putting card in microwave come up? I fixed a couple of cards doing the oven trick several years back but was very carefull not to overheat/overdo it either. Seriously why the microwave?

This brings a whole new meaning to "everything but the kitchen sink!"..

Ovens to repair GPU's and dishwashers to clean motherboards/computer components..

Now add microwaves to nuke GPU's'....

hell.. who is willing to try a meat dehydrator next ?

Warranty for MB. GPU for any geek I trust to do the trick.
I'm just gonna go ahead and send this info off to Gigabyte support so they can make sure to not approve your fraudulent warranty claim on your Z490M Gaming X. People like you are the reason the warranty process is such a PITA in the first place. I'll also keep an eye out for any ebay listings for your parts and make sure to report them if you don't properly list them as damaged and dead.

Currently I find only that PS has 2 responses from clip, pin No 4 (for power, I think) and pin No 8 turns on fan only, while pin No 4 with pin No 16 (the one just above 4) keeps the PS powering on just to make a tick sound and then off instantly. Pin No 4 and any other pin do nothing, though I notice some tiny sparks when connecting the pins ( with simple electric wire). Could this means the only thing got damaged in graphics card is the 8 and 6 pins and the PS got damaged by the pin connector?
You're doing good there! The sparks are normal because you are connecting electrical components together. Almost there!

I'm just gonna go ahead and send this info off to Gigabyte support so they can make sure to not approve your fraudulent warranty claim on your Z490M Gaming X. People like you are the reason the warranty process is such a PITA in the first place. I'll also keep an eye out for any ebay listings for your parts and make sure to report them if you don't properly list them as damaged and dead.
You must have a lot of free time, Mr. White Knight.

You're doing good there! The sparks are normal because you are connecting electrical components together. Almost there!
It says on some videos that connecting green with and black wire results in turning on the PS manually. You don't know that?

You must have a lot of free time, Mr. White Knight.
I do have quite a bit of free time, esp the 5-10 min to took to send of an email with the helpful pictures and info OP has graciously provided. as for the ebay part, I'm usually checking ebay throughout the day anyway, and it's easy when you already know what parts to look for.

This has to be a troll. How many times does this need to be explained?
tenor.gif

I do have quite a bit of free time, esp the 5-10 min to took to send of an email with the helpful pictures and info OP has graciously provided. as for the ebay part, I'm usually checking ebay throughout the day anyway, and it's easy when you already know what parts to look for.
Ummm, first of all, I am not in US. So, no ebay here. Also the warranty policies here are already very,....rigid. ...tedious. so don't worry, it's just how you like it here.

Put Nasa coffee cup in Microwave (bought at Nasa), ceramic cup but metal coated, went to grab cup after nuking, now mouse 1 button finger and button 2 finger are bubbling up. Hurts like hell. Open HardOCP forum and first thread read deals with doing something stupid with a Microwave. Go figure. It would have to be the two fingers for playing games and working on the computer.

Well people do dumb things out of the best of intentions, can't always fixed or change the outcome. The GPU is dead, toss it in the garbage (do not sell it to someone else knowing full well the condition of it) or mount it to a pedestal as a plaque of one of your dumbest moments.

Good grief my fingers hurt, have to hold a cold water bottle to dim the nerves some.

Nobody knows how to assist you because nobody has ever done this. Literally everything could be damaged because lord knows what electrical pathways you connected that should never be connected.

I'll tell you right now, from my days doing tech support and returns, if I received an email from a rando with nothing but pictures or SOMEONE ELSES STUFF, I would be like "lol check out this twat".

Pro tip: without the serial number there are 400000 boards out there. Good luck thinking ab RMA department is going to check your email against whatever comes in.

So this guy asked about his overheating GPU in July last year and we all gave him tips on what to do about it.
https://hardforum.com/threads/gpu-has-exceeded-temperature-threshold.1996940/
It happened few times. Even gpu maxed over temperature threshold. HIGH GPU DEGREE. 95 to 96 temperatures. Yup. Point I'd the thermal compound was not a cheap one but was a fake MX4. Currently we have another issue after what they all say toasting it. And the PS won't power on. I can't figure out what is problem and what is not. The whole thing is full of probabilities.

Youve already destroyed your GPU and Mobo, now your just randomly shorting PSU pins to see what happens.
Did anyone ever tell you not to stick a fork in the toaster? thats what your doing here.

It says on some videos that connecting green with and black wire results in turning on the PS manually. You don't know that?
It's time to stop.

Normally I wouldn't tell you to stop troubleshooting, because that's how we learn.
But you have a complete dumpster fire on your hands and are literally risking an electrical fire at this point.
It's near impossible to troubleshoot your system, because you might have multiple defects and possibly parts that will kill other (known good) parts.

Stop it, get some help from someone more experienced.

Please, whatever you end up doing, don't leave any parts of that system connected to the wall while unsupervised.

It happened few times. Even gpu maxed over temperature threshold. HIGH GPU DEGREE. 95 to 96 temperatures. Yup. Point I'd the thermal compound was not a cheap one but was a fake MX4. Currently we have another issue after what they all say toasting it. And the PS won't power on. I can't figure out what is problem and what is not. The whole thing is full of probabilities.
All right. Let's break this down nice 'n' small. The graphics card was overheating and throttling, which will tank your performance. That was either due to the need for new thermal compound, or possibly a fan malfunction.

But that's not really germane, seeing as you took the problematic card, threw it into a microwave because you didn't know how they work and assumed it'd be just like a toaster oven, and then took the fried hardware and put it back into your computer, where at minimum it fried the motherboard. And now you've ignored the decades of cumulative experience in this thread all telling you that those two pieces of hardware are dead. And because the power supply is not supplying power to something that's obviously toast, you are now trying to force the power supply into delivering current. STOP. You've already killed two pieces of previously working hardware. The power supply can actually seriously wound or kill you if you're reckless. The whole thing is NOT full of probabilities. Just STOP.

Last edited:
There are no probabilities at this point. You destroyed your GPU, and your Mobo, possibly your CPU and ram (the only real possibility here). You are literally playing with fire at this point. You will never fix your stuff. Its broken, unfixable, destroyed. There is nothing to figure out. If you want to troubleshoot your cpu and ram, you will need another mobo (one you dont care if it blows up too).

All right. Let's break this down nice 'n' small. The graphics card was overheating and throttling, which will tank your performance. That was either due to the need for new thermal compound, or possibly a fan malfunction.

But that's not really germane, seeing as you took the problematic card, threw it into a microwave because you didn't know how they work and assumed it'd be just like a toaster oven, and then took the fried hardware and put it back into your computer, where at minimum it fried the motherboard. And now you've ignored the decades of cumulative experience in this thread all telling you that those two pieces of hardware are dead. And because the power supply is not supplying power to something that's obviously toast and are trying to force the power supply into delivering current. STOP. You've already killed two pieces of previously working hardware. The power supply can actually seriously wound or kill you if you're reckless. The whole thing is NOT full of probabilities. Just STOP.
The point is all what I'm looking up now is to collect what is damaged and try to repair it, whether through me or a geek store that has such fine repairman for GPUs.

The point is all what I'm looking up now is to collect what is damaged and try to repair it, whether through me or a geek store that has such fine repairman for GPUs.
The graphics card and motherboard are fried. You can't fix those any more than you could un-burn a barn that caught fire. Just the way it is.

If you wanna find a local PC repair place and bring the CPU, RAM, power supply, and other components to them and ask them to test to see what's still in working order after you tell them about the problems, they probably won't charge much, and it'll potentially be better than outlaying money to replace everything at once. But don't persist under a delusion that the motherboard or graphics card could be fixed. They're as dead as can be.

Tell any electronics repair shop you microwaved your GPU (at any wattage) and they'll tell you it's beyond saving. Tell them you put it in a MB, and they'll tell you they might be able to save it, but it'd be cheaper to buy a replacement motherboard.

Tell any electronics repair shop you microwaved your GPU (at any wattage) and they'll tell you it's beyond saving. Tell them you put it in a MB, and they'll tell you they might be able to save it, but it'd be cheaper to buy a replacement motherboard.
princeboy47 Also record the techs reaction when you tell them what you did, and post the video here

At this point, you've destroyed the GPU beyond repair. Probably the motherboard is beyond repair as well, and I wouldn't touch the PSU after you stuck that paperclip in all its holes.

Maybe the CPU is reusable, Dan_D says they're tough, and your storage is probably OK.

A PSU tester with some other stuff like a voltmeter and additional parts to test and see which won't work would be enough to get the results.

Back