I microwaved a R9 390X gaming and now my pc won't run after 3rd time

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
You only see the burnt PCB, you cannot see the microscopic circuits inside the chips on that PCB. Those circuits are meant to be powered by 1-3 volts, microwaves can induce thousands of volts. Thousands of volts scramble the circuits inside chips and turn them into blocks of metal. Plugging that scrambled GPU into your motherboard was no different than plugging a fork into it. The motherboard is fried now and cannot tell the PSU to turn on (or the PSU thinks the motherboard is also a fork and won't turn on to protect itself).


eWaste the entire system and buy a new one, nothing in there is trustworthy.
It can be powered on through the paper clip, the PS. Running but not powering the MB nor the CPU.
 

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
12,440
princeboy47 if you are serious, sorry to say it but like everyone else here is said, your computer is toast. :( If you are not serious, thanks for the good topic for others to learn from, anyways. :)
 

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 19, 2013
Messages
6,949
Just scrap the entire system. Idc if you rma every part but don't continue using any part in another system. You destroyed that computer.
 

michalrz

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 4, 2012
Messages
3,221
The method in which your microwave destroyed the card wasn't by transfer of heat.
Eddy currents most like formed, emergent potential differences between random spots on the card. Those are gigantic, hence the sparking.
You see a spark on a card = thousands of volts of potential difference just equalized by going through some semiconductor. Semiconductors are connected to one another by traces.
Would you like me to go deeper? :D
 

Tup3x

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
1,893
1 Microwaved graphics card for few minutes, because it has the overheating issues.
2 Plastic around pins were melted and some plugs around interface sockets, the metal part, had some burning coming out.
3 Removed the graphics card, installed it, failed to show anything on the display at all.
4 3rd time PC won't even turn on as in power. The ethernet LED was lit.
4 Tried that again with unplugging cables and having one RAM only in the PC and only the main SSD
5 Now the PC won't turn on at all, ethernet LED is not turning on.
6 tried couple of tricks from the internet to turn it on like have a screw driver on both power switch pins but nothing happens.
7 HELP !!!
Any reason why you did it in microwave and not in normal oven? :)
 

RazorWind

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 11, 2001
Messages
4,070
The semiconductors in your gpu might not be semiconductors anymore. Many things 'fail short', they stop opposing current flow and just act like a piece of wire.
You don't put forks in electrical sockets (right?), so the same thing applies after zapping a device in random places.

If you put a piece of wire without any resistance between a PCIe socket trace that supplies power, and connect it to another trace which goes to ground, all power will just flow from the source to ground via that wire and there will be no power left for the computer to operate normally.
Much worse than this, if you put a piece of shrapnel into contact with the power input at one end, and lower voltage logic signaling, you stand to lobotomize whatever is attached to that logic signal wire.

I still think he's got a bit of shrapnel from the card down in the PCI-E slot. It might even just fall out if he turned the slot upside down, but if not, it should be possible to pick it out with tweezers or something.

Also, on what planet is any part of a system with a 390X still under warranty? Aren't those from 2015?
 

SPARTAN VI

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
8,197
ropPop56nom2.gif
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
The method in which your microwave destroyed the card wasn't by transfer of heat.
Eddy currents most like formed, emergent potential differences between random spots on the card. Those are gigantic, hence the sparking.
You see a spark on a card = thousands of volts of potential difference just equalized by going through some semiconductor. Semiconductors are connected to one another by traces.
Would you like me to go deeper? :D
I said that only parts with sparks from microwave were interface connectors and the pins plastic covers.
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
Much worse than this, if you put a piece of shrapnel into contact with the power input at one end, and lower voltage logic signaling, you stand to lobotomize whatever is attached to that logic signal wire.

I still think he's got a bit of shrapnel from the card down in the PCI-E slot. It might even just fall out if he turned the slot upside down, but if not, it should be possible to pick it out with tweezers or something.

Also, on what planet is any part of a system with a 390X still under warranty? Aren't those from 2015?
Warranty for MB. GPU for any geek I trust to do the trick.
 

toast0

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 26, 2010
Messages
1,286
I had similar problems after I beer battered and deep fried a XBox 360. It's kind of ridiculous that today's electronics manufacturers with all the money they charge us can't better protect the equipment we buy from them for our various attempts to prepare them as food.

You really want to use a panko batter; beer batter interferes with the rating circuits.
 

notarat

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 28, 2010
Messages
2,327
Thanks. I am serious.

I've done some research into your issue because it seems you aren't that skilled at troubleshooting.

Turns out, what killed your computer is PEBKAC. It's a common issue which affects video cards which have been microwaved instead of placed in the oven to reflow solder. Video Cards affected by PEBKAC will invariably short out and kill your motherboard if you try to power on the computer while the bad video card is installed.
 

caw2007

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
1,899
you put electronics in the microwave and you expect them to function....STOP...put the keyboard/mouse down...you do not know what you are doing...buy a console....
 

BinarySynapse

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
15,103
I said that only parts with sparks from microwave were interface connectors and the pins plastic covers.
Those interface connectors are connected to things. Those sparks you saw were thousands of volts of electricity getting rammed through those things.

Warranty for MB. GPU for any geek I trust to do the trick.
You plugged a fork into your motherboard, and now you want to make a fraudulent warranty claim because of it?
 

Chassepot

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 2, 2019
Messages
4,242
You really want to use a panko batter; beer batter interferes with the rating circuits.

The Japanese have always been good with this kind of thing makes sense that their breading is ideal for deep frying electronics. Thank you, will follow up, figure I should be able to really push the OC on a 6800XT if I can get it golden brown.
 

Sir Beregond

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2020
Messages
324
You are literally saying the graphics card got burnt all over. That didn't happen. And I think the graphics card is fine but got the burnings only on the interface sockets and the pins plugs.
Do you also regularly stick forks and spoons in the microwave? No offense, but a few seconds in the microwave just kills the GPU. You bake it in an oven, not nuke it in a microwave. Whether you see physical damage or not, it's done for.
 
Joined
Oct 18, 2008
Messages
16
I connected PS to MB several times already. Still have functional PS and not working MB. Meaning? High chance everything is okay but a little thing unfigured..

Well, I guess a 1% chance is pretty high if we're talking about stuff like extinction level asteroid impact events in the next 100 years.
 

CaptNumbNutz

Fully [H]
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
22,417
Well, my microwave is a 42 litres LG inverter. It has 200 Watt and defrosting and more for popular dishes.

PSU is seasonic 850w Focus.

MB is gigabyte Z490M Gaming X

CPU is I5-10400

That's all.
200 watt Microwave? I don't think I've ever seen one with so little power. Most I've seen that size are usually 1,200 watts. That's your problem.

1618933225502.png


I think you should double down on this. You might actually zap things back into working order. Just make sure this time you do it outside and set it all inside a transmutation circle.
 

Halon

Gawd
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
652
I connected PS to MB several times already. Still have functional PS and not working MB. Meaning? High chance everything is okay but a little thing unfigured..
It is dead, princeboy47. A microwave works in a fundamentally different way from a conventional or convection oven, and putting your graphics card in the microwave took whatever chance there was of salvaging it and killed it, in much the same way that a tree shredder is not a substitute for a haircut. Unfortunately the graphics card's internals were also scrambled, and by plugging it into your motherboard, the change from carefully engineered power delivery to a series of horrifying electrical shorts killed that too. If you are lucky - and nothing I've seen indicated that luck would be either present or merited - the other components outside of the motherboard and graphics card are still intact. But at minimum, those two components in your system are gone. Kaput.

Regardless of whether that makes you feel bad or not, it's the truth. Write both of those off outright. Recycle them both - if you turn in the motherboard for warranty replacement, you're committing fraud. If you obtain a replacement motherboard and migrate your components over (but not the graphics card, which needs to be sent to hell), you may have a working computer at the end of all this. But it's probably safer to start over from scratch. Good luck to you.
 
Last edited:
Top