I microwaved a R9 390X gaming and now my pc won't run after 3rd time

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
Guys, pls...
I am posting to say the PC itself is not working. Power supply won't turn on even alone, it's a seasonic 850w focus. I tried the metal pin with the 24 pin but honestly, ticking as it always do on first then no sound. Does that make sense?
 

RazorWind

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 11, 2001
Messages
4,105
OP - when you hit the button, what exactly happens?

Is it really just nothing? Do the system fans or lights come on for just a moment, and then turn off? Does the power supply turn on, but you get no indications that it's actually booting?

If it's truly nothing that's happening, it's possible that the problem is the power supply. Maybe a dumb question, but you don't have the kill switch in the off position, do you?

Edit: If you get no joy even when you force the power supply to start up that way, then it sounds like you need a new power supply. When you get a click like that, and then it goes dead, that's a hint that you have a dead short to ground inside of it. Do you have a a known-good power supply you can use to troubleshoot the motherboard/CPU/memory et cetera?
 

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,684
Oh yeah, if your PSU failed via fuse or some fuse like component, your PC may yet live. Your GPU is def toast, though.
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
OP - when you hit the button, what exactly happens?

Is it really just nothing? Do the system fans or lights come on for just a moment, and then turn off? Does the power supply turn on, but you get no indications that it's actually booting?

If it's truly nothing that's happening, it's possible that the problem is the power supply. Maybe a dumb question, but you don't have the kill switch in the off position, do you?
Currently I took all cables off the PS and trying to get the metal pin and the 24 pin to get it working and I get the tick any PS does but then silence.
 
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
3,254
Sometimes pathological idiocy has to be accepted for what it truly is. The fact that it isn't something that is broken or needing to be fixed has to simply be embraced and celebrated. I for one am celebrating by having a beer and making some popcorn. This really should be moved into the mayhem side of the forum and princeboy47 be given an honorary membership there.
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
Sometimes pathological idiocy has to be accepted for what it truly is. The fact that it isn't something that is broken or needing to be fixed has to simply be embraced and celebrated. I for one am celebrating by having a beer and making some popcorn.
As in substitute the thing that you want to make use of with the thing that you always wanted?
 

Krenum

Fully [H]
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
18,304
Seriously?
Yes. Seriously is this a legitimate thread or are you trolling? How could you possibly think, with at least a high school education that putting a sensitive piece of computer hardware in a microwave wouldn't harm it? Were you thinking about putting it in the oven to Re-Ball the Solder & ran out of time? Or are you just that ignorant on the way a microwave works? Heat from and microwave, isn't the same as a oven.
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
Yes. Seriously is this a legitimate thread or are you trolling? How could you possibly think, with at least a high school education that putting a sensitive piece of computer hardware in a microwave wouldn't harm it? Were you thinking about putting it in the oven to Re-Ball the Solder & ran out of time? Or are you just that ignorant on the way a microwave works? Heat from and microwave, isn't the same as a oven.
I'm just like you now. But I am thinking of a solution.
 

Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Messages
1,594
1 Microwaved graphics card for few minutes, because it has the overheating issues.
2 Plastic around pins were melted and some plugs around interface sockets, the metal part, had some burning coming out.
3 Removed the graphics card, installed it, failed to show anything on the display at all.
4 3rd time PC won't even turn on as in power. The ethernet LED was lit.
4 Tried that again with unplugging cables and having one RAM only in the PC and only the main SSD
5 Now the PC won't turn on at all, ethernet LED is not turning on.
6 tried couple of tricks from the internet to turn it on like have a screw driver on both power switch pins but nothing happens.
7 HELP !!!
I'll help if, and only if, you post high quality pictures of absolutely everything you're using here
 

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,684
Just want to say that, aside from a bit of hyperbole, I was 100% honest and mostly serious in all my posts in this thread.

The card is dead, unrecoverable (fubar) except (maybe) through extensive repair involving equipment few enthusiasts have.

Your motherboard may have been saved by the PSU dieing, but that's just a maybe.

Don't put that GPU in anything else you want to live.

Edit: oh, except this:
Magic Smoke = Good, though.

That was 100% a lie.
 

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,684
I am surprised the microwave didn't blow up. A dumbass polock put a closed can of beans in the break room microwave and fucker blew up.
That's because he put a pipe-bomb in the microwave, the dumbass... :/
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
20210420_025133.jpg
20210420_025114.jpg
20210420_025002.jpg
20210420_024737.jpg
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
These are in what terms pictures...

Noticed them I don't know if they are possible to cause any faults.
 

pendragon1

Fully [H]
Joined
Oct 7, 2000
Messages
32,709
1618880415635.png

if thats a burn mark on the right its a dead gpu, looks like a little birdy...
solder spot looks like it was shorting out, whatever is on the other side could be dead.

1618880445835.png

1618880566102.png

may have killed the slot and/or board and/or psu...

ps: did you leave the heatsink on too? lol...
 

RazorWind

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 11, 2001
Messages
4,105
So, you blew at least one smd component off the board, and...

The pads on those SMDs look like they were vaporized?
The copper on that tab got so hot that it delaminated from the board. The real alarming thing here is that there's a missing bit of copper, which is likely inside the poor motherboard's PCI-E slot.

That part of the PCI-E connector is the part that handles the input power from the slot. The two damaged contacts are for the 3.3V.
 

pendragon1

Fully [H]
Joined
Oct 7, 2000
Messages
32,709
So, you blew at least one smd component off the board, and...

The pads on those SMDs look like they were vaporized?
those?

1618880992147.png


good eye
edit: those supposed to look like that, they all seem to...
edit2: actually im confused now as my 280x looks like that.
 
Last edited:
Top