I microwaved a R9 390X gaming and now my pc won't run after 3rd time

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
1 Microwaved graphics card for few minutes, because it has the overheating issues.
2 Plastic around pins were melted and some plugs around interface sockets, the metal part, had some burning coming out.
3 Removed the graphics card, installed it, failed to show anything on the display at all.
4 3rd time PC won't even turn on as in power. The ethernet LED was lit.
4 Tried that again with unplugging cables and having one RAM only in the PC and only the main SSD
5 Now the PC won't turn on at all, ethernet LED is not turning on.
6 tried couple of tricks from the internet to turn it on like have a screw driver on both power switch pins but nothing happens.
7 HELP !!!
 

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,713
When they say "bake it", they mean in a real-deal oven, with heating elements or gas burners. A microwave will literally fry any and everything metal or touching metal.

Sorry, your GPU is toast...
 

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,713
Oh, your PC is probably toast too. :/

There were certainly shorted traces in the GPU after frying it. Putting that in your PC almost certainly destroyed your CPU, and probably the motherboard, too...
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
Troll, or thought if an oven is good, a microwave is better?

Can we get pictures?
Not exactly, simply a microwave under 200 watts. My intention was to get the heat on the gpu itself. And don't worry, it's all fine. The graphics card has only two molten plastic around the pins. I removed them to connect the pins with power cables. That's all.
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
When they say "bake it", they mean in a real-deal oven, with heating elements or gas burners. A microwave will literally fry any and everything metal or touching metal.

Sorry, your GPU is toast...
What I notices is that it creates fire around it. That means it sort of melts or soften the metals under its waves.
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
Oh, your PC is probably toast too. :/

There were certainly shorted traces in the GPU after frying it. Putting that in your PC almost certainly destroyed your CPU, and probably the motherboard, too...
You are literally saying the graphics card got burnt all over. That didn't happen. And I think the graphics card is fine but got the burnings only on the interface sockets and the pins plugs.
 

jmilcher

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
5,284
You need a minimum of 75 minutes in the microwave for it to work.

And for good measure try to get your storage drives, ram and motherboard in there. The closer the better. The PSU is optional but can also help fix your problem.
 
Last edited:

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,713
You are literally saying the graphics card got burnt all over. That didn't happen. And I think the graphics card is fine but got the burnings only on the interface sockets and the pins plugs.
You don't need to see damage for it to be present in electronics. Microwaves, which microwave ovens produce, would have induced massive currents in the board's traces and components. They were fried from the inside, literally.
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
Yeah...fire = bad around electronics.

Magic Smoke = Good, though.
The PCB itself got nothing. Only heat, as if being used. This is R9 390X gaming MSI. Okay? The only thing that had some burning is the interface sockets metal part and the plastic.
 

auntjemima

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 1, 2014
Messages
8,505
The PCB itself got nothing. Only heat, as if being used. This is R9 390X gaming MSI. Okay? The only thing that had some burning is the interface sockets metal part and the plastic.
I think it's probably fine. I would try and heat it again to straighten up the plastic. Then try resetting your CMOS by removing the battery. Then unplug the power supply for a little bit.
 

GameLifter

Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2014
Messages
672
This reminds me of when I was a teen and had a Nokia N-Gage and my friend ran it in a microwave as a joke for a few seconds while I was in the bathroom. That's all it took to fry it. Still have it in a box somewhere.
 

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,713
Well, good luck. Just don't come crying if you fry another PC because you didn't listen. You can fix the connectors, but the components (except maybe some passive ones) are all shot. Someone with a solder rework station and diagnostic equipment might be able to save it, if the GPU chip isn't fried too.
 

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2019
Messages
169
Well, good luck. Just don't come crying if you fry another PC because you didn't listen. You can fix the connectors, but the components (except maybe some passive ones) are all shot. Someone with a solder rework station and diagnostic equipment might be able to save it, if the GPU chip isn't fried too.
I mentioned it only got burns around the interface sockets and the pins plastic cover. XD
 

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,713
Oh, your PC is probably toast too. :/

There were certainly shorted traces in the GPU after frying it. Putting that in your PC almost certainly destroyed your CPU, and probably the motherboard, too...

You are literally saying the graphics card got burnt all over. That didn't happen. And I think the graphics card is fine but got the burnings only on the interface sockets and the pins plugs.

You don't need to see damage for it to be present in electronics. Microwaves, which microwave ovens produce, would have induced massive currents in the board's traces and components. They were fried from the inside, literally.
The fact that the pins got hot enough to melt the plastic and ignight the gases tells all you need to know. There was much more electricity passing through the board and pins than it was designed for. It's dead.
 

Mister E

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 14, 2004
Messages
2,634
You shifted your GPU’s quantum signature by exposing it to microwave radiation. It won’t work in your PC anymore cause it’s out of phase. You gotta nuke the rest of the PC to get the gamma signatures to match. Shove everything in there. CPU, the ram, the motherboard. All of it. Set for thirty minutes.

Oh and if you’d like all your components to be the same color in the end, put a can of spray paint in there as well. Presto.
 
Joined
Apr 9, 2021
Messages
733
Metal in microwave = high-voltage arcs. High-voltage arcs + computer parts = kaputsky. Utterly destroyed graphics card installed in motherboard = shorted out motherboard.
 

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Joined
Feb 9, 2002
Messages
58,947
Oh, your PC is probably toast too. :/

There were certainly shorted traces in the GPU after frying it. Putting that in your PC almost certainly destroyed your CPU, and probably the motherboard, too...

Actually, that's far from certain. The motherboard could have been messed up from that, but the CPU almost certainly survived as they are much more durable than people give them credit for.
 

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
6,713
Actually, that's far from certain. The motherboard could have been messed up from that, but the CPU almost certainly survived as they are much more durable than people give them credit for.
Depends on the voltage levels we're talking about, I guess. I wouldn't bet on it, but I suppose it could have survived.
 

cjcox

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
2,024
Where's Miracle Max when you need him?

Screenshot_20210419_175303.png
 
Top