I may be screwed, lost the virtual keyboard on my new Mto G7

pek

prairie dog
Get it back without doing a factory reset? Somehow, on my new Moto G7, I lost the keyboard to input things like names and passwords, any input. Instead, a popup at the bottom for google voice input and it is greyed out, so no voice input as a last resort, either. So no logging into google (which I assume is needed to be able to get things off of the playstore) to get a keyboard app. No virtual keyboard came with the Moto, which is really annoying. I haven't deleted any apps, yet, the virtual keypad was there a few weeks ago, I just noticed that it was gone when I tried to edit a contact and no keypad, just the voice thing all greyed out (can't 'touch' anything in it).

Am I screwed and have to do a complete reset?

You should still be able to go into the settings under input/keyboard or something and select a keyboard to use. I don't think you can uninstall the stock keyboard the phone comes with, so you should be able to select or switch to it from there.

Settings > System > Languages & Input > [Keyboard & inputs] Virtual keyboard > Manage keyboards

Settings > System > Languages & Input > [Keyboard & inputs] Virtual keyboard > Manage keyboards

Tried this, 2 entries under "manage keyboards"; I have Lastpass (for password input I suppose) and "google voice typing", it's 'on' and the entry is greyed out, no way to add another keyboard or turn off voice keyboard. But, thanks anyway.

Now to dig out my otg cable. It's here, somewhere. I'd like it better if I knew what I did to make it disappear.

:) Oops, I mistakenly deleted the post you replied to which read:
You can use an OTG cable to connect an external keyboard to your phone and log into your Google Account.

yeah, found my otg cable, but it's for my old phone, and it's usb-mini. Got to order an otg with usb-2, now.

yeah, found my otg cable, but it's for my old phone, and it's usb-mini. Got to order an otg with usb-2, now.

If you want to get going sooner you can also log into your Google Account without a keyboard by copying and pasting the log in information.
If you are using Google Messages, setup Messages for Web on your phone and computer, then using your computer transmit the login information to yourself via a text message.

2.png 3.png

If your email address is [email protected] and your password is password12345 text only that, with no additional words or characters, as you will not be able to do any editing on your phone. For security purposes, after completion use your computer to change your Google Account password.

Last edited:
Didn't get the otg cable, but, I had a non-logitech bluetooth (ironically a Fire HD 10 bluetooth keyboard) (hate logitech's proprietary bluetooth (or my phone just didn't have a native driver). Google wanted a verification, which I was able to copy/paste with the keyboard (never used the keyboard shortcuts on a non-keyboard phone). Got logged into google, then my other apps that need passwords started working. Did get the google keyboard from google play, finally, but nice to know my other physical keyboard will work.

Now to figure out how to make my phone usable without google's fingers knuckle-deep into my phone.

Back