I made the switch to the other side

Frozen8950

Limp Gawd
I bought a computer last year when D3 and HL2 were supposed to come out and at the time the 9800 pro 128 was the top of the line and i got that because it was good. Since then ive kind of become a fanboy of ATI but after doing a lot of research this past week ive decided to go with the Geforce 6800 GT. Ive ordered it from chumbo and im just waiting, and hopefully i have it by christmas :)

yea, i made the switch from nvidia to ati, and although i am very pleased with the performance of the ati, i miss the nvidia drivers :(

Im makeing the switch effortlessly. I've used ATI all my life, since the 8500 days. Now since Nvidia has a much better product - IMO - this time around ill be buying them. Brand loyalty only screws one person and thats the consumer themselves.

I've always been a Nvidia fan, but wanted to switch to ATI when the 9800 started kicking ?Nvidia's ass. Well, I was busy saving to upgrade to ATI, when along came the FX5900XT at a considerable saving compared to similar ATI products. I bought one, and I've never looked back.

Now, judging by comments I've read in forums, it seems that a lot of people are slowly converting back to Nvidia from ATI. Interesting.

I agree with Dojo \ Warlord above, brand loyalty only screws the end user. Money talks.

Are you also running Intel and using windows? If so you can complete the evil trinity. :eek:

I am :eek:

Tomorrow I'll be re-assimilated as well when my GT gets here. Though I've been using my 9500Pro on a nforce2 board all along, so I sorta never left.

My last nv card was a geforce2, so it's been awhile.

My first card was a TNT2... Quake 2 never looked so sexy.

Then I bought the 9800pro as my next upgrade (sad huh?).

Now I am back with nvidia, and my 6800GT OC kicks **** ass! I could never have been happier.

I came pretty close to switching to ati, but stayed with nvidia when it was time to upgrade. I seem to only upgrade every 3 generations :p

voodoo3 -> geforce 3 -> BFG 6800GT OC

Glad i skipped over all of that ATIness.

Dojo | Warlord said:
GF3 to 6800 GT

LOL, I admire your patience
lol i went from geforce 2 gts 32mb to bfg 6800 GT, granted i had a laptop with ati mobile 9000 but still it ate at me for so long :( heh

Karmakaze said:
Tomorrow I'll be re-assimilated as well when my GT gets here. Though I've been using my 9500Pro on a nforce2 board all along, so I sorta never left.

My last nv card was a geforce2, so it's been awhile.

Ditto, man, just minus the 6800 GT :(

congrats man. you're gonna like the GT.

it really is one hulleva card for the money.

Maybe, but I've never had problems with any of my evil trinity components. I can't even bitch about Windows no more - XP is pretty good. But then again, I've never tried anything else, so I guess that doesn't really count. :D (a little Linux/Unix experience, but not much)

Anyway, I have tried AMD and ATI. Hell, I'm typing this on my ATI empowered laptop. ATI is cool. My decision between ATI and Nvidia is ALWAYS made by money, not personal preference. I'm not too fond of AMD, though, but that's not saying it's a bad thing. I've just had more successes with Intel. I have to admit that they are a lot cheaper than Intel.

Dojo | Warlord said:
Im makeing the switch effortlessly. I've used ATI all my life, since the 8500 days. Now since Nvidia has a much better product - IMO - this time around ill be buying them. Brand loyalty only screws one person and thats the consumer themselves.

yeah - I can't understand people who go with one company no matter what. Pick the best card - period.

I got an ATI card cause at the time, it was better. However, I run primaraly Linux based machines and the ATI drivers are terrible. My GeForce 4200 was better then ATI in Linux. So, I bought a GF 5900 Ultra off E-Bay and have been very happy. It runs top notch in Linux and Windows. Way fastert than the ATI 9800 128 I had.

I'm going to wait on the next gen GeForce cards till the price drops a bit. Heck, by then a new cart might be out... Will the Video cards ever reach a plateu? Kinds remids me of how CPU's are always changeing. It would be nice to have ONE product to drool over for a few years. Like when the Riva 128 and the 3dfx cards were out. I have those for along time...

You got it. FanATIcs or Nvidiots. I've heard guys trying to justify the one or the other in ways that will make you wonder whether to laugh or cry.

I confused as to where all this ATI fanboy-ism came from. They had a single generation where they were on top. That's not a history. That's a fluke. I had a Mach 64. I remember the "old" ATI. I recall waiting for Windows 95 drivers which were complete junk and didn't support DirectX properly. I recall people pissing an moanining that their early Radeons wouldn't work right. Now all of a sudden, ATI is the new Jesus. I have to wonder if all many of the self-proclaimed "experts" have only purchased one or two video cards in their lifetime.

Yeah I agree pick the best card, but im still rejoicing that nvidia once again is the best card. I mean, I will always buy the best components that are available for the money, however I still like nvidia more than ati, so cheers to them for coming out strong for Doom 3. :D

Back