I Made JayZ Mad Today

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 31, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Started with a reader on Twitter asking about the new EK Threadripper water block.

End up here about an hour ago.

Here is a link to the most recent NDA that EK sent me in order to review its new TR water block. I have never seen anything like this from a tech company...ever. Needless to say, I did not sign it. We will buy ours when we can.

2. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

3. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

jayz a dickhole

viscountalpha likes this.
  4. THUMPer

THUMPer I Sit in Stink

I love this. I eat this shit up.

SickBeast, hazexban and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  5. dvsman

dvsman [H]ard|Gawd

70,000 Euro? WTF :-P

Armenius, cageymaru and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  6. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Limp Gawd

The moral high ground is strong with this one.

7. pentiumiiislota

pentiumiiislota [H]Lite

Idk why but i always thought jayz was a douche who looked like a turtle

8. antok86

antok86 [H]ardness Supreme

i dont like it when mom and dad fight =(

9. Krixon

Krixon Limp Gawd

Do you have any evidence that Jay signed this NDA? It seems like a pretty recent move by EK

10. Kyle_Bennett

Dunno. Never said he did. He answers the question, I did thanks for answering, and he still did not like it... All day long. Lulz.

11. gwarren007

gwarren007 [H]ardForum Junkie

That is the Whitest JayZ I have ever seen.

BHenry, atp1916, Nobu and 8 others like this.
  12. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

This is how I feel! Jay, through his videos, taught and encouraged me to get into high end hardware and watercooling.

...he can be a dickhole, it's kinda his thing, but still. Just because the dude didn't do a review of a niche waterblock for a niche processor, he's suddenly conspiring with EK? C'mon.

13. Kyle_Bennett

But he did do a 10 minute video showing it off, which is fine. Here's the rub. Not one single site that got the samples for the TR block reviewed it. Not one. Isn't that a bit odd? Paul's hardware tried to but failed.

I think EK knew what they had all along and still pushed it out to their customers, and none of their smampled reviewers said a word about it.

Edit: Had to get off my phone....

JayZ was the easy target on this after he got TWO samples from EK, showed those off in a 10 minute video about those blocks an nothing else. (On Twitter today, he sort of "forgot" about that video and claimed it had only been used in a build.)

So being that he is all about high end water cooling, and he was putting one of these in his personal box, don't you think he would have reviewed it and published that?

Had he been the only one to skip the review, it would have never occured to me, but when everyone did, that looks a bit odd.

We all know how HORRIBLE that block was, so much that EK issued and apology. Now since I was the only site that ever tested it (we bought ours), do you think EK just issued that on their own, or ever would have if we had not brought it to light?

Now, fast forward to last month, and EK reaches out and asks if I want to test their NEW TR block, and sends me over that NDA above. There are 10 year clauses in there, and monetary payouts up to 70K EUR if it is violated, and it seems there are a lot of ways to violate that.

That got me thinking when I was asked about it this morning, is this how EK is keeping all its reviewers "in line" if they are in fact doing that?

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  14. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

Damn.. this is the first time I agree with JayzTwoCents, as Kyle gets older it just get more dramatic with everything... First overreacted GPP Drama, then childish attitude on Twitter for literally no reason?, lol.. definitively this gona make lot of those needed clicks to keep the website alive but definitively in a very wrong way.

I think all of this drama could has been avoided with couple of DirectMessages to clarify on each party and done... but the ego and airs of grandeur are just too much here lately, no wonder why the forum it's dying.

15. Kyle_Bennett

First and foremost, I never thought he would reply to that, at least not in public. It was a tweet reply that would have never been seen. Then he immediately launches into calling me names, stupid, asshole... I never sunk to that level. I honestly believe EK had a coverup going on and there were people impliciet in it after seeing that NDA they sent me. That is the most controlling NDA I have ever seen. NVIDIA, Intel, and AMD have never sent a legal document with those kinds of terms in it. He said he had not seen it, I said OK, and he continued to push it to the top of HIS twitter with multiple posts. For someone to level the "clickbait" title at HardOCP, all he had to do was ignore it. Then there never would have been one moment of drama. All my answers to him were calm and level headed. I think he wanted to frame himself as the victim with his fan base is all. And that is fine. Hell, even his fan base came out and said they use him for entertainment and not education. Fair deal. I thought he was supposed to be the water cooling god....that does not even test the parts he puts in his OWN system? OK. If you buy that, good on you.

16. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

God I hate twitter, tho no matter what his response is to you Kyle, it makes no sense to receive a product and not review it. Your critical review and the lack of any others makes that NDA they sent you very likely been signed by the other reviewers and why we heard nothing else about that block that EK basically abandoned. EK should have recalled those blocks and gave people their updated block in exchange. A coupon to buy the better block was really weak.

17. VanGoghComplex

Man, that NDA is a doozy. I read it all, but the only thing I got from it was "don't copy or sell the designs of our products." I didn't see "don't review our products" in there... but my legalese is VERY rusty. Can someone point it out?

18. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

I hate this kind of shit, ya know, having to pick sides on something. I enjoy Jayz vids and such, but I trust the info more from [H].

nEo717 and ricson like this.
  19. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

I've seen some pretty strict NDA's for one thing or another over the years and that's easily the most restrictive one I've seen so far.

nEo717 likes this.
  20. LurkerLito

LurkerLito [H]ard|Gawd

It doesn't say don't review our products in there, it says HOCP can't publish anything without EK's permission regarding the sample they sent for review.

The very first item, translates to "All the information from EK is confidential even stuff you experience." The second part translates to "EK owns all that information including your experience with the product and technical data you obtained using it." The third part translates to "HOCP can't do anything at all with that information without EK's written permission."

So in other words, EK owns HOCP if they sign that NDA regarding anything HOCP receives from EK as a "review sample". HOCP has to get EK's permission to publish it and I am pretty sure EK won't let HOCP do that without getting an advanced copy.

As usual the standard disclaimer : IANAL I am just giving you my interpretation of what I read. ;)

Nobu, cyclone3d, noko and 3 others like this.
  21. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I like Jay2Cents, really laid back and he doesn't try to hide a lot of his mistakes.

BUT, I don't go there to catch any cool nuggets of information. There are none. He is what I would consider upper middle PC class. I dunno, I hate to use elevator music to describe him but that was the first thing to come to mind. Steady background noise. I think even Jay2Cents would agree that his audience is mostly beginners or 2nd time PC builders.

I really hate Linus Tech Tips. His mannerisms really really creep me out. I would have to bite my lip around him and try and ignore him as much as possible.

I tend to get excited over modders, hackers, coders and balls to the wall overclockers. I've been around many L2N overclock parties and that is pretty impressive stuff. I wish there was a youtube channel with people doing design, CNC, modding and just doing off the cuff crazy shit.

Tactlesss, Emission, ricson and 2 others like this.
  22. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

"You may have heard of Kyle" "You probably haven't". Fuck you too Jayz.

I'm a bit surprised that anyone is taking Jayz 'side'. Kyle merely pointed out what occurred, "coincidence? dunno". Jayz reaction to this 'speculation' is highly suspect. Also, EK sent the NDA to Kyle to sign for review samples, why must we assume that this is suddenly new when no one released reviews for EK's awful TR block? Jayz also claims he has "no NDA on file", If he is subject to an NDA, wouldn't he have to say that?

23. Mav451

Mav451 [H]ardness Supreme

Elevator music might be the kindest euphemism I've seen lmao.

viscountalpha likes this.
  24. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Funny thing is, I've never heard of this Jayz person.

TypeO, -Axiom-, atp1916 and 8 others like this.
  25. profiled

profiled n00bie

never heard of this hard forum :bored:

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  26. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz My Cannon Balls Sunk My Fail Ship

27. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

Same here, I was trying to figure out when Jay Z got into WC.

28. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

If you've been in hardware industry or enthusiast space for any longer than a few years and not heard of [H],
    You are a newfag and need to lurk moar.

29. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Limp Gawd

I just wish this could have been a real conversation from both sides

30. mda

mda [H]ard|Gawd

Can't get over the comment where someone said that since it was a "glamor build", the parts performance aren't important. Might as well make the best looking Pentium or i3 build you can...

I'm not [H]ard by the standard of some of the people here but I've almost never chosen the parts in my computer because of how it looks...

Though the metal heatsink/cooler of those GTX FE cards looked very nice at the time .. (but I was more interested on how the GTX780 blew the 680 away)

psychoman, noko, N4CR and 1 other person like this.
  31. firas

firas 2[H]4U

never heard of jayz guy but i'm sure modern day kids love him

elite.mafia and Armenius like this.
  32. Geoffrey Rene Moiens

Geoffrey Rene Moiens n00bie

He has the balls to call [H] a dying website? [H]ardOCP gonna last way longer then any f.. youtube populist. Unsubbed.

cyclone3d, MMitch, spine and 7 others like this.
  33. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

Kinda surprised how triggered Jayz got from a comment by some old guy who owns a dying website.

Maybe hit a little close to home?

34. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

That's how I read it. The review may as well just be taking it out of the box, attaching it to the processor, and touching the surface with your finger to determine how well it's cooling. My reading of it says that Kyle wouldn't even be able to measure the thing, like he did when comparing the surface area of the TR IHS to the block.
    I never heard of him, either, until a year or 2 ago when he stirred up more drama. My understanding is he used to post here? I took a look at a few of his videos to find out who he was and confirmed he was a douche all the time and didn't know what he was talking about half the time. Seems like another one of those people who just reads the spec sheets and their young viewers think they're a genius.

Mav451 and Geoffrey Rene Moiens like this.
  35. arnemetis

arnemetis [H]ard|Gawd

To hell with this guy. Keep fighting the good fight for us Kyle. Hope this turns out like GPP, I can't understand people that defend companies hiding bad products or services.

36. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

HardOCP is dying....
    They pissed off Nvidia and are dying....
    They pissed off AMD and they're dying....
    They pissed off EVGA and they're dying.....
    They pissed off Infinium Labs and they're dying....

elnb.gif

aldamon, trick_m0nkey, Meeho and 22 others like this.
  37. Chas

Chas [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah, there's definitely some SANDY pussy there.

Zuul and Armenius like this.
  38. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Also found it hilarious that the NDA uses "irregardless."

ricson and CaptNumbNutz like this.
  39. Kyle_Bennett

My favorite takeaway from the entire thing was this comment.

I said: "Your readers look up to you for valued opinion, not advertisement."

JayZ fan: "No we don't. We look up to him because he's entertaining. Yes, he gives a lot of good information, and we appreciate that, but he's not a just-the-facts channel. Go find another hill to die on."

40. VanGoghComplex

It just seems uncharacteristic for him. He openly talks about honoring review embargoes, avoiding NDAs, and other industry jigs in many of his other videos, and he frequently airs his mistakes (at least in terms of screwing up hardware) as object lessons for his viewers. I believe him when he says he didn't sign an NDA for EK.

It's been a while since I watched the Symbiote build videos, but I don't recall him ever billing those videos as a review of the EK Threadripper waterblock; they were just about his build, which happened to feature a lot of other parts that he also didn't do exhaustive reviews on.

Yeah, his reaction to Kyle's prodding has been a little shitty, but Kyle's prodding was on shaky ground to begin with, from the perspective of a guy who's been watching Jay for a few years now.