I made a mistake going X99/2011-v3...

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So my i7-5820k is no slouch, but when I built this rig I came in at the tail-end of Socket 2011-v3. I heard it was the best, I knew new CPUs were coming, but I couldn't wait at the time b/c I had a HTC Vive that just released and I had no PC to run it. I also thought X99 would be more future-proof. Anyway, just thinking if I ever wanted to upgrade my CPU I can't. Not that I can't, but rather it just makes no sense economically. I don't think i'll upgrade anything until next year, but I still can't help but be dismayed at what I am seeing even now.

A i7-8700K is $349.99 and the only CPU I could see upgrading to keeping this motherboard is the i7-6800K for $419. Anything other than that I might as well upgrade the motherboard.

Anyway, I suppose this is more of a gripe than anything but I wonder if anyone else out there regrets going x99 when they did. Btw, when are we supposed to be seeing the 9th Gen i7s?

I went x99 in July of last year. I have no regrets.

I popped in a I7-6850k from microcenter for $350. Overclocked as easy as pie to 4.2Ghz.

Quad channel RAM, 40 PCI-E lanes, USB 3.1, Thunderbolt, NVME ports.

What could you possibly be missing over the new shiny 8700k?

We can move to a Xeon in the future if we want - up to 22 cores. Some of these Xeons will cost peanuts on ebay in a couple years when they get decommissioned from the datacenters in mass.

Either of these lines should be compatible with your X99 board:
https://ark.intel.com/products/series/78583/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-v3-Family
or
https://ark.intel.com/products/series/91287/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-v4-Family

What exactly do you think your going to get out of a 8700K that you don't see with your 5820K? The benchmark differences between the two are absolutely nothing if you game at anything over 1080P because you aren't CPU limited.

I wouldn't even buy a 8700 anyway. I'd buy the new Ryzen chip coming out this month if I was going to buy a new CPU right now. 8700 is a failed SKU IMO. It brings nothing new to the table from the 5 series that you already have, except increased cost.

There will always be something new - and you literally won't see any difference in performance as compared to the 8700 - ever ---- in these chips usable life cycle. (outside of gaming in 1080p, or shaving off some sort of insignificant time in some sort of very specific CPU intensive operation)

Last edited:
I'd look for a deal on the 5960X and be done with it and enjoy your platform. I got one recently for $400. As someone who had a Ryzen 1700 and then a 7820X, they weren't noticeably better or worse than my 5960X.

I went x99 in July of last year. I have no regrets.

I popped in a I7-6850k from microcenter for $350. Overclocked as easy as pie to 4.2Ghz.

Quad channel RAM, 40 PCI-E lanes, USB 3.1, Thunderbolt, NVME ports.

What could you possibly be missing over the new shiny 8700k?

We can move to a Xeon in the future if we want - up to 18 cores. Some of these Xeons will cost peanuts on ebay in a couple years when the get decommissioned from the datacenters in mass.
https://ark.intel.com/products/series/78583/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-v3-Family

What exactly do you think your going to get out of a 8700K that you don't see with your 5820K? The benchmark differences between the two are absolutely nothing if you game at anything over 1080P because you aren't CPU limited.

I wouldn't even buy a 8700 anyway. I'd buy the new Ryzen chip coming out this month if I was going to buy a new CPU right now. 8700 is a failed SKU IMO. It brings nothing new to the table from the 5 series that you already have, except increased cost.

There will always be something new - and you literally won't see any difference in performance as compared to the 8700 - ever ---- in the chips usable life cycle. (outside of gaming in 1080p, or shaving off some sort of insignificant time in some sort of CPU intensive operation)

I'm no Intel fan at this point, but 6 Coffee Lake Cores OC'd to 4.8 to 5.0 GHz can get some work done. I would purchase a 2700X Ryzen first, but I'd say the 8700K is no slouch, especially in single core and low thread count stuff.

Here's a 7 year old stock I7 2600K with a current 1080Ti (4 core - 8 thread - turbo 3.8Ghz)
VS
A brand new top of the line stock I7 8700K with that same 1080Ti (6 core - 12 thread - turbo 4.7Ghz)

Your 5820k by comparison would be almost identical to the 8700k in 1440 gaming. I know there is more to computing than gaming, but if you get excited about 3 more seconds shaved off your 1 minute zip file benchmark test -- then sell your 5820k and seek out the 8700. If you are all about compute, then maybe start watching ebay for those Xeon processors I linked above.

Source: Hardware Canucks

upload_2018-4-2_16-14-10.png

upload_2018-4-2_16-14-36.png

upload_2018-4-2_16-15-0.png

upload_2018-4-2_16-15-22.png

upload_2018-4-2_16-15-41.png

upload_2018-4-2_16-16-2.png

upload_2018-4-2_16-16-19.png

upload_2018-4-2_16-16-38.png

Last edited:
Hell, sometimes I WISH I had built an X99 based rig instead of going with the mainstream Z370.... multi-core Xeons get stupid cheap really quick.

Here's a 7 year old stock I7 2600K with a current 1080Ti (4 core - 8 thread - turbo 3.8Ghz)
VS
A brand new top of the line stock I7 8700K with that same 1080Ti (6 core - 12 thread - turbo 4.7Ghz)

Your 5820k by comparison would be almost identical to the 8700k in 1440 gaming. I know there is more to computing than gaming, but if you get excited about 3 more seconds shaved off your 1 minute zip file benchmark test -- then sell your 5820k and seek out the 8700. If you are all about compute, then maybe start watching ebay for those Xeon processors I linked above.

Source: Hardware Canucks

View attachment 64022

View attachment 64023

View attachment 64024

View attachment 64025
View attachment 64028

View attachment 64029

View attachment 64030

View attachment 64031

I don't like these tests that are wholly GPU bound when comparing CPU's...

I feel you man. I bought in on the 6800k and actually wish I bought the 5820k instead. The 6800k was actually a regression in overclocking from Haswell.

I've been eyeballing used 5960x chips, but I agree it just doesn't make sense upgrading. However, if multithreaded operations are ever absolutely needed in the future... You have a lot of options if you wait long enough. You can get 12 core Xeons for pretty cheap. I imagine even the 5960x chips will eventually be found in the $200s when Intel releases the mainstream with 8 or more cores

I bought used 5960X + ASUS RVE for something like ~450 $ (ebay) 6 months ago and do not regret that decision one bit. It overclocks to 4.6 Ghz @1.31 V and I love that all X99 processors use solder under their lid and not some snot (like 8700K). Dont worry, be happy.

I bought used 5960X + ASUS RVE for something like ~450 $ (ebay) 6 months ago and do not regret that decision one bit. It overclocks to 4.6 Ghz @1.31 V and I love that all X99 processors use solder under their lid and not some snot (like 8700K). Dont worry, be happy.

I feel you man. I bought in on the 6800k and actually wish I bought the 5820k instead. The 6800k was actually a regression in overclocking from Haswell.

I've been eyeballing used 5960x chips, but I agree it just doesn't make sense upgrading. However, if multithreaded operations are ever absolutely needed in the future... You have a lot of options if you wait long enough. You can get 12 core Xeons for pretty cheap. I imagine even the 5960x chips will eventually be found in the $200s when Intel releases the mainstream with 8 or more cores

May be a stupid question but are Xeons good for gaming and video editing? Like what is the difference between Xeons and regular CPUs for gaming?

May be a stupid question but are Xeons good for gaming and video editing? Like what is the difference between Xeons and regular CPUs for gaming?

Nothing other than you can't overclock them. But you can get more cores for a cheaper price as the Xeons come off lease in servers.

To put in perspective, I picked up a Xeon X5660 for my X58 Sabertooth for $19 shipped on ebay. Originally, it was a $1220 processor.

No regrets here. I love my little beast of a box. Works great as a Plex server for my whole family and also for gaming. I'll probably just upgrade to the next generation GPU and be perfectly happy with it.

To me it lines up perfectly with the new processors with more cores opening the market for games to optimize on more than 2-4 cores. In my eyes the release of the Ryzen chips and the 8700k just made my processor a better value.

All with the nice addition of being soldered and not toothpaste TIM where I have to delid to keep temps under control. Big air all the way!

Nothing other than you can't overclock them. But you can get more cores for a cheaper price as the Xeons come off lease in servers.

To put in perspective, I picked up a Xeon X5660 for my X58 Sabertooth for $19 shipped on ebay. Originally, it was a $1220 processor.

There are some Xeon CPUs you can overclock.
https://hardforum.com/threads/unlocking-max-turbo-bins-of-xeons-on-x99-1.1927809/

And basically any of the engineering samples can be overclocked according to that thread (but you'll want QS or better so that you get turbo boost)

I would have gone x99 if I didn't get an attractive price on a new 7820x and a pre-owned Gaming 3.

I can play games on it fine.

I can also pull builds down and A/B running Kubernetes vs VMware 6.5 connected to AWS or Azure.

GPU accelerated workloads are a thing I'd rather size locally during model thrash.

Ymmv

Yes - typically better for video editing and productivity - because most often they have more cores and CPU cache. As to gaming --- right now clock speed is king - and the GPU matters significantly more than the CPU.
Xeons are server/professional CPUs, while your I7 5820 is an Enthusiast CPU.

Xeons typically have more:
PCI-E lanes
CPU Cache
ECC memory support
Intial Cost (HOWEVER - that is temporary - until the datacenters replace them with the newest server chips and liquidate the old machines --- second Hand Xeons will begin to sell in mass for true bargain prices on eBay about 3-4 years after they are released)

Note: Xeons do NOT include onboard video.

I got an Asus Rampage V Extreme and 6850k last year for $450 at MC and am very happy with it. It doesn't quite outperform the SR2 in MT tasks, but its upgrade path and the price at the time is why I bought into the platform.

I bought this combo for the board ($150 after ASUS rebate) and will stick a Xeon in it some day when it makes sense.

Then maybe upgrade to something if I feel the need.

Flashback to the x58.

I just built a new PC and wanted to go ITX after having an X99. For what I do, I didn't have a need for multiple PCI slots, quad channel and CPU lanes.
SLI/CF is dead so I desired a more compact rig. The i7 8700K for me resembles the performance I had on X99 and faster single core performance.
Also, because of GPU prices spiking or just being inbetween cards, having onbaord video is a huge benefit to me which X99 and AMD(high-end) lacks.

IMO, for gaming I would go ITX/mATX. And for rendering and computing, E-ATX with Xeons.

Lastly, I got the 8700K for $280 during the big eBay sale.

Last edited:
SLI/CF was always as good as dead, it only sucked development money and caused people to spend tons of money for solution that added tons of input lag. Thankfully VR headsets made GPU manufacturers to notice the issue.

As for LGA2xxx+ only time Intel nailed it was LGA1366 which came before mainstream LGA1156 witch which they kinda forced new adopters of Core i7 architecture to get it and a lot of people did. If they did that with each new CPU architecture we would see much more home users of all these premium platforms and instead these come much later. Thankfully they didn't and released Sandy Bridge and next CPU designs on mainstream platforms first which is good for us consumers.

Was it worth to get i7-5820k? It is still good processor. Probably was not necessary as even 2500K/2600K is sufficient today for almost everything in home. Still very good and I would personally wait for 8c Ice Lake if not longer to upgrade.

X99 goes to 22 cores, depends on your use cases.

If all you cared about was single-threaded and not I/O, memory bandwidth or massive-MT performance then you should have parked on whatever 115x socket intel felt like letting us peasants have access to that year. Either way it had zero relevant upgrade paths the moment you bought it. (see: everything since sandy bridge)

Or you can be me and own practically every platform, not cheap but still a cheaper hobby than cars, boats or women. (order is correct)

Recently, probably. Like how long ago? 2 something years ago, definately not. It's not as good as the 8700k but for gaming not so much, Esp. if u get a good oc on 5820k. some difference ofc it is a faster cpu. At this rate im rather replacing my 1080ti when i can get next gen Ti. And wait for better 8 cores sometime later, like icelake + You can still get a 6900k tho, while im not sure what kind of gains u will see in gaming with it.. but not realistic in norway to get this cpu, still sell for close to old prices retail and ppl sell them for half of that used even. u can get a 8700k /w mb for same price asy. and there are not many of these cpu's on used market in norway, i cant find even one on the usual site. Im still not anywhere near maxing out my cpu in gaming, think around 60% on bf1 is most iv'e seen on all threads/cores.

I don't really see how you can't be competitive with new offerings.

I just got my 2066 rig with the 7900X running at 5ghz and I have not seen any gaming performance differences over my 5830k that was running at 4.5.

I just got my 2066 rig with the 7900X running at 5ghz and I have not seen any gaming performance differences over my 5830k that was running at 4.5.
Differences are surely there
The problem is that in order to spot them you must train your senses and become Jedi ;)

If all you cared about was single-threaded and not I/O, memory bandwidth or massive-MT performance then you should have parked on whatever 115x socket intel felt like letting us peasants have access to that year. Either way it had zero relevant upgrade paths the moment you bought it. (see: everything since sandy bridge)
That is simply not true (n)

You could upgrade Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge and Hashwell to Broadwell (y)
Especially upgrade to Broadwell could give you very nice performance boost https://pclab.pl/art65154-37.html

Most interesting thing about Broadwell is that is Hashwell + 128MB L4 cache.
They could basically do similar move with any architecture and get similar performance boost.

Differences are surely there
The problem is that in order to spot them you must train your senses and become Jedi ;)

That is simply not true (n)

You could upgrade Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge and Hashwell to Broadwell (y)
Especially upgrade to Broadwell could give you very nice performance boost https://pclab.pl/art65154-37.html

Most interesting thing about Broadwell is that is Hashwell + 128MB L4 cache.
They could basically do similar move with any architecture and get similar performance boost.
I've never seen a reasonably priced Broadwell to upgrade from my 4770k....just sayin...

I've never seen a reasonably priced Broadwell to upgrade from my 4770k....just sayin...
Broadwell is much more expensive than usual i7 because of 128MB L4 cache and much much better iGPU.

See this: https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/broadwell_niszczyciel_test_core_i5_5675c_i_core_i7_5775c?page=0,22
4.2GHz Broadwell can score a few wins against 5GHz Kaby Lake

If I had LGA1150 platform I would not dismiss Broadwell so easily and would monitor auctions for cheap Core i7-5775 as it might be reasonable and cheap upgrade path without all the headache associated with replacing motherboard.

I've been looking for
Broadwell is much more expensive than usual i7 because of 128MB L4 cache and much much better iGPU.

See this: https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/broadwell_niszczyciel_test_core_i5_5675c_i_core_i7_5775c?page=0,22
4.2GHz Broadwell can score a few wins against 5GHz Kaby Lake

If I had LGA1150 platform I would not dismiss Broadwell so easily and would monitor auctions for cheap Core i7-5775 as it might be reasonable and cheap upgrade path without all the headache associated with replacing motherboard.
I've been looking for ages for a cheap i7-5775c with absolutely no luck...

1.92V?!? You better buy a couple of them if you find them on sale as backups.

When I had my 7820x, I ran it at 1.25V tops.

That's gotta be a bug in CPUZ. No way he could run that voltage and still have a living chip.

Eh, a 5ghz isn't a suicide clock really. I just get some occasional thermal throttling. I really want to delid.

Attachments

• epeen.PNG
    epeen.PNG
    847.3 KB · Views: 0
I had a X99 Sabertooth with a 5930k a few years ago. I kind of wish I would have just hung on to that setup as it would still be great today. Since then I've gone with a 6700k, 7700k, Ryzen 1700, X5660, 1600x, 7820x, back to 1700, and now a 8400 (with some others in between, but you get the idea).

I've thought a few times I should have just kept the 5930k and avoided all the hassle.

I had a X99 Sabertooth with a 5930k a few years ago. I kind of wish I would have just hung on to that setup as it would still be great today. Since then I've gone with a 6700k, 7700k, Ryzen 1700, X5660, 1600x, 7820x, back to 1700, and now a 8400 (with some others in between, but you get the idea).

I've thought a few times I should have just kept the 5930k and avoided all the hassle.
wowsers --- you scrapping out PCs to switch that many times?

wowsers --- you scrapping out PCs to switch that many times?

I just like playing with new things ;). But I kind of wonder if I'm going to feel the same way about ditching my 7820x. I should have just kept it.

3440x1440

If you are using that beasty 7820x primarily for gaming at nearly 4K resolution, sadly there has been little reason to upgrade since the I7-2600k.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/05/26/definitive_amd_ryzen_7_realworld_gaming_guide/13

Kyle Thoughts:

4K Gaming

The Ryzen 7 was slower than our new Intel 7700K across the board today at 4K gaming resolution, however at no time was there an instance where it made our gaming experience any different than the 7700K. In our real-world gameplay we are talking about average framerate differences of less than 5%. In most cases the Ryzen 7 was right in line with the 2600K at 4.5GHz, and still these framerates are all jammed up very close together. Gaming at the high end of the resolution spectrum has been GPU-limited for as long as I recall, and it seems to be the same today. If you are gaming at 4K, I would suggest that you would never be able to differentiate the gaming experience on a Ryzen system at 4GHz, the 7700K at 5GHz, and the 2600K at 4.5GHz in a blind "taste test."

Back