I’m impressed with the GPU in my Samsung Captivate

Its actually a little stuttery when turning. And the engine sounds cut in and out. This is on the trial.

Its actually a little stuttery when turning. And the engine sounds cut in and out. This is on the trial.

What phone you got? On my SF its buttery smooth throughout

Yeah, mine is not stuttery ever in any 3D game. The game flickers for some reason when the car is pulling up, but before and after that, no stutters, no skips, nothing but flawless killer 3D gaming performance on something that has a larger screen than my iPod touch, and yet weighs less and gets the same amount of battery life. (1st gen iPod touch getting long in the tooth ...)

This phone is amazing. A report on battery life: Been unpluged for over 14 hrs today, on phone texting, etc. In fact for about two hours I just turned the music player on full volume and let it blast some tunes out my pocket. Surfed the internet, did emails and text, and played lots of games on it. It's spent some time in the pocket, too, but it has still had quite a bit of use, including letting some of the kids I work with play games on it (when they earn it).

60% battery remaining. Not kidding. That's insane.

What phone you got? On my SF its buttery smooth throughout
Also, my first Fascinate had a busted screen, but never got too warm.
:p

This phone is amazing. A report on battery life: Been unpluged for over 14 hrs today, on phone texting, etc. In fact for about two hours I just turned the music player on full volume and let it blast some tunes out my pocket. Surfed the internet, did emails and text, and played lots of games on it. It's spent some time in the pocket, too, but it has still had quite a bit of use, including letting some of the kids I work with play games on it (when they earn it).

60% battery remaining. Not kidding. That's insane.
Do you have the extended battery? That's nuts. I did 1/2 that and knocked it down to 30%.

Do your phones get warm? Especially when using 3G on Verizon.

An3DBench: 6597
Quadrant: 2305
Neocore: 55.5

:p

Do you have the extended battery? That's nuts. I did 1/2 that and knocked it down to 30%.

Do your phones get warm? Especially when using 3G on Verizon.

An3DBench: 6597
Quadrant: 2305
Neocore: 55.5

No extended battery. That thing is fat, and not in a good way. My phone doesn't heat up at all, but I've heard a few reports of people that have phones that do heat up a bit.

Like I mentioned, I have AutoKiller set to optimum. I have screen brightness set to auto. I have power saving features enabled in the settings. I also use a long press on the home button about twice a day to run the stock task killer. I kill off any games or big apps that I don't need running in the background anymore. I don't know why AutoKiller doesn't kill the games, but I hate other automatic task killers that I've used in the past.

Somehow that gets me excellent battery life. Realistically, here's what I do in a normal day:

Texts: 50 or so
Emails: 2-8, depending
Games: 2 hours, sometimes more
Music: usually 2-4 hours listening (screen off most of the time, though)
Voice: 1-3 hours
Web browsing: 30 min to 1.5 hours
Tethering: 30-45 min

That's pretty realistic. I use some of the games (some of which are actually quite educational) as either focusing or reward activities with some of the kids I work with. I get lots of phone calls throughout the day. And I also check work email and listen to quite a bit of music. That's a pretty normal day for me on my smartphone.

If you browse the web a lot more heavily, then you're going to drain your battery a lot faster. I realize that I don't browse the web near as much as some people do, and that's going to kill the SuperAMOLED faster than anything because most web pages are white, plus you're using the 3G to surf. A lot of the games have darker colors and backgrounds, and voice and music don't even turn the screen on, so for sure it depends heavily on usage.

Better than NFS?

Let me set the story straight with this and Asphalt 5.
First, IMHO Shift looks better and runs like a dream on the Galaxy S. Just amazing stuff.
Asphalt looks great too BUT and this is very important for Galaxy users, you want to get version 3.1.3 ONLY.
Any version after that has no hardware acceleration and this was done from what I was able to dig up, so that phones with lame GPUs but fast CPUs were able to run the game better.
Anyone that doubts this, make a test...try both 3.1.3 and the newest then let me know. ;)

hopefully in couple yrs we will see some real potential in mobile gaming and i can ditch the psp

hopefully in couple yrs we will see some real potential in mobile gaming
rolleyes.gif
and i can ditch the psp

I guess thats true, heard that nokia is doing some underground developments for advanced gamers. ;)

Not even a little warm?

When using 3G for browsing or phone? Nope. Doesn't heat up a perceptible amount at all. The only times I can really get this thing warm is when it's plugged into the charger and sharing the 3G via WiFi tethering at the same time. And even then it doesn't get hot enough to worry me. I've never noticed it get hot while making 3G calls or browsing the web - even watching youtube videos.

Hmmm...including store demos, I've used 11 fascinates and every single one felt warm to me. I'm going to chalk this one up to perception. ;)

Hmmm...including store demos, I've used 11 fascinates and every single one felt warm to me. I'm going to chalk this one up to perception. ;)

Yeah, must be. I'm using wireless tether on the road right now and playing Pandora radio off of it on my car stereo (don't worry, wife is driving!). Not warm at all. No warmer than my wife's cell phone that's just sitting there not being used for anything. Spent all day working on my sister's phone yesterday, and it never really got what I would consider "warm" either. The only time my fascinate and my sister's fascinate got a little warm is when plugged in and charging. And I would assume that's the battery.

I guess we must have a different definition. I'm sure it doesn't get any warmer than the Droid X or my Eris did.

Hey guys check out an app called TempMonitor [lite]. Im sure there's other out there but this one gives cpu temp [a lot of battery apps gives battery temp]. Its in the Market. For me my SF's cpu idles in the 70'sºF and if I really max her out for extended periods will climb into the 90'sºF but thats it.
Nice to know both cpu and battery temps to know just who the culprit is

HTC Sprint Hero, 27.0 FPS on NeoCore after a few days normal use, 26.2 after a fresh reboot o_O

What the crap?! I'm idling @ 90F right now! Bah! Is there an apparently to tell me what speeds my CPU has been running at over a given point in time?

Just got off the phone w/ VZW, they had my bill @ $750 instead of $295. Hah! Rhonda took care of everything and asked how I liked my phone. I said it was awesome, but it runs a little hot. She said the same thing you guys did...huh? Apparently hers doesn't even get warm. When I told her I could kill the battery in 3 hours, she sent me a new phone, haha. Guess it'll be here on Tuesday.

So what temps do you guys get? The phone's been sitting idle for 10 minutes, 29C battery, 92F cpu...grrrrrrrrrr. It's almost like something is spiking the CPU. But resetting it does nothing, so I'm @ a loss for what's going on. Maybe the CPU's not downclocking/volting @ all.

Last edited:
good info in here. my EVO only scored like 4700 points in the an3d bench.

froyo

I think I recall Anand saying the Galaxy S gpu is better than the Evo, so I'm not shocked.

What the crap?! I'm idling @ 90F right now! Bah! Is there an apparently to tell me what speeds my CPU has been running at over a given point in time?

Just got off the phone w/ VZW, they had my bill @ $750 instead of $295. Hah! Rhonda took care of everything and asked how I liked my phone. I said it was awesome, but it runs a little hot. She said the same thing you guys did...huh? Apparently hers doesn't even get warm. When I told her I could kill the battery in 3 hours, she sent me a new phone, haha. Guess it'll be here on Tuesday.

So what temps do you guys get? The phone's been sitting idle for 10 minutes, 29C battery, 92F cpu...grrrrrrrrrr. It's almost like something is spiking the CPU. But resetting it does nothing, so I'm @ a loss for what's going on. Maybe the CPU's not downclocking/volting @ all.

Wow. Those temps don't seem right at all. Seems a bit warm. Especially if you can kill the battery in 3 hours. I had wifi tethering going on my Fascinate while my son (then little brother, then brother-in-law) was playing angry birds with the sound on. Even after almost four hours of that intense use, I still had 30 something percent left.

fill 11.15/11.43 mp/sec
HOC 29.36fps
Multi lights 61.85fps
high poly count 24.74fps
keyframe 62.22fps
gamelevel 41.56fps

droid2

(without running taskkiller or anything of the sort, 89mb free)

Hmmm, warmer than mine for sure. I've actually seen mine down as cold as 71-73ºF.
Here's the lowest screenie I've taken:
snap20100927_234141-1.jpg

Ok dumb question.. so how do I connect my captivate to my computer? Windows 7 just tells me driver install failed.

In case anyone missed it, there is Froyo now for the Captivate and it is pretty stable ...loving flash right now!

Nope, it says not available for mobile phones...retarded....thank God I dont give a crap about Huluu.

Getting a Fascinate later this week...exciting! :cool:

Can't wait for Froyo and/or CM 6.1.

I have Froyo (Cognition 2.2BETA) on my Captivate, Rooted and Lagfixed and it is pretty good so far. One thing is wrong though, even with Froyo it is still only showing 300mb of ram. Where in the fuck is the other 200MB?

Some are suggesting that video and system might be using the rest of the memory..considering how good 3d performance is on the Captivate I wouldn't be surprised it uses a lot of the ram but who knows...maybe its just because it is still beta

My score's only 1969, but it's an HTC Magic with 2.2 so I'm not that disappointed ;)

Please dont tell me you are quoting Quadrant scores cause that is as useless as testing 3dmark 2000 to compare a GTX 480 to a HD5870.

If that was directed at me, I'm referring to the program in the OP...

I'm a GPU guy, and I'm impressed with my GPU in my Samsung Captivate phone.

It is a PowerVR SGX540

http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/sgx_series5XT.asp

It's a Shader Driven Tile Based Deferred Rendering Architecture !

Capable of 90 Million Triangles/sec

4 Texture Units, 2048 Max Texture Size, 8 Max Lights

Currently OGL ES-CM 1.1 (until I get Froyo update for this phone) GPU is capable of OGL 2.0, greater than Shader Model 3 level graphics!

Using An3DBench from Android Market Place, my fillrate performance is:

Single Texture Fillrate – 9.52 MP/sec
Multi Texture Fillrate – 9.47 MP/sec

Other scores are:

High Object Count – 31.44 FPS
Multiple Lights – 55.57 FPS
High Polygon Count – 46.77 FPS
Keyframe Animation – 55.72 FPS
Game Level – 55.64 FPS

Total Score: 6630

If you have an Android phone, program is called “An3DBench” it is free. Also another program that will tell you all about your GPU in the System Information is “Quadrant” that one will show you all the OGL extensions your phone supports. So run it, and post your results here too.

Just tried it out on my Droid and was quite surprised at its sporadic results. It got higher scores in both Texture Fillrate tests and keyfram animation, but significantly lower everywhere else. I wonder why?

Single Texture Fillrate – 11.06 MP/sec
Multi Texture Fillrate – 10.29 MP/sec

Other scores are:

High Object Count – 29.74 FPS
Multiple Lights – 40.49 FPS
High Polygon Count – 15.25 FPS
Keyframe Animation – 60.41 FPS
Game Level – 23.71 FPS

Total Score: 4735

It still plays all games I throw at it with no stuttering or slowdown with a decent frame rate, so I'm happy with it.

Well, it's still stuttering ever so slightly when panning across scenes, but this did not bother me too much. I think I was too blown away by the quality of a 3500 Mbps 720p Xvid file playing back natively. :eek:

An3DBench isn't a very good test for Galaxy S phones. They are limited to 56 fps so we'll never know how much faster they could run several of those test.

A while back I did a whole slew of tests on my phone, enjoy. Now I'll have something to compare to when Froyo (Android 2.2) becomes available for my phone.

Code:
Samsung Captivate on AT&T (Galaxy S) Android 2.1 - JH7 Firmware

Browser
Acid 3 - 93/100
HTML5 Test - 151 and No Bonus Points

Speedtest (3G)
Download - 180.1 KB/sec
Upload - 36.2 KB/sec

Quadrant

OxBenchmark
Linpack - Mflops/s - 6.62  |  Norm Res - 1.71  |  Precision - 2.22
Draw Canvas - 54