I love my Noctua NHU12P-SE2, Intel i7 Haswell-E 5930K

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi,
I don't like the liquid coolers, I had too many problems with broken pumps, I don't want to hear liquid coolers any more.

I don't like huge coolers like NHD14, they are way too huge, they hide the beauty of the hardware.

I love my Noctua NHU12P-SE2 because it is small and let me admire my hardware without hiding it, it is incredibly silent and it gives good performance.

Do you think that this CPU cooler in push pull will be enough for the hot
Haswell-E 5930K Six Cores CPU?

this type of question are completely useless and impossible to answer without even with the processor in the market... but yes it will probably be fine..

this type of question are completely useless and impossible to answer without even with the processor in the market... but yes it will probably be fine..

Is this CPU cooler enough for a 3960x?
If yes, it will be OK for The 5930k, more or less.

What about with an OC at 4.3GHz?
Is there Simeone with a 4960x at circa 4.3GHz with this cooker?

4.3ghz really isn't a lot of heat if it's set up correctly.

A lot of chips can do 4.3ghz with the stock intel cooler.

The cooler you have can probably handle up to 4.5-4.6ghz OC pretty handily.

4.3ghz really isn't a lot of heat if it's set up correctly.

The cooler you have can probably handle up to 4.5-4.6ghz OC pretty handily.

This is strange since with an ambient temperature of 30° mynsandy bridge 2600 at 1.160v 4.2GHz goes up to 70°.
I don't think that I can handle 4.5 with this cooler or haswell-e is colder than my sandy bridge 95w?

It will likely limit your overclocking but 4,3 might be doable (depending on how much voltage is needed)

It will likely limit your overclocking but 4,3 might be doable (depending on how much voltage is needed)

hope you are right.
it seems that the only alternative to exagerate huge heatsink is water coolers.

never trusted this cooler too much, not for leakage but for the pump failure.

If you want extreme OCing then I would suggest the DH14, H100i, or the H105. Assuming they fit the mobo and case. I would try the NHU12P-SE2 first though just to see how high of a OC you can get with it. That would be my advice. Such as it is. :D

If you want extreme OCing then I would suggest the DH14, H100i, or the H105. Assuming they fit the mobo and case. I would try the NHU12P-SE2 first though just to see how high of a OC you can get with it. That would be my advice. Such as it is. :D

Having used similar coolers, they wont provide more than a few degrees difference over what OP already has. The cooler he has is actually decent to begin with.

The TJMAX of these processors is 100-105c, and you can run them right up to that TJMAX without damage (per intel's chief engineer), as long as you aren't pumping insane volts too. Things run hotter these days guys, 70c is nothing.

Due to this higher TJMAX in modern processors, extra cooling from a better premade cooler might lower temperatures slightly, but possibly not to the point of enabling significantly more overclocking headroom.

Speaking from disappointed experience here.

On my older, soldered i7 970 system, switching from a tower cooler to a H100 yielded no extra OC headroom - still stuck at 4.2.

On my 3770k system, switching from a tower cooler to a H100, then H100 in push pull yielded no extra OC headroom - stuck at 4.5 until I upgraded to a custom water loop. Now running lower temps than 4.5 @ 4.8. :)

So yes, while a better cooler will lower temps, the temp difference might not be enough to afford extra OC headroom over the long term.

That is true. There is the performance vs value way of doing things. Some enthusiasts throw out cost because they want best performance even if its just a few C difference. It comes down to personal preference of what the user wants. That's why I suggested to the OP to use his present hsf first to see if it meets his needs. If not then I offered some higher end choices to consider.

My case does not have enough room to fit an h100, in its current configuration at least.
Do you think that h80i could be a good upgrade over my noctua nhu12p-se2?

The fans on the h80i are loud btw. I'd just re-use your current cooler, if you're uncomfortable then look at other options. Should be good for at least 4.1-4.4.

intel does not have "stock cooler with extreme chips" so you are probably talking about mainstream 115X chips..

This is strange since with an ambient temperature of 30° mynsandy bridge 2600 at 1.160v 4.2GHz goes up to 70°.
I don't think that I can handle 4.5 with this cooler or haswell-e is colder than my sandy bridge 95w?

something its probably wrong with your chip or bad mounted cooler.. first that chip can't do truly 4.2ghz only 3.9ghz under the load of 4 cores, or 4.0ghz if you increase the BCLK to 103mhz it will only do 4.2 ghz under single thread load and if it go to 70C its probably bad mounted the cooler or the thermal paste.. im using exactly that chip at 42x103mhz 1.208v with -0.070offset and gaming never pass from 55C and under prime it barely touch 64 the hottest core and that its with a hyper212+ in push/pull.. at stock speed (and i have lot of post with images) it never go above 56C under p95 in 22C room temp.. and overclocked never go above 50C when i used a h100i with that chip... Picture.. even the h70 i've used before the h100i was faulty it peaked at 66C under prime..

The fans on the h80i are loud btw. I'd just re-use your current cooler, if you're uncomfortable then look at other options. Should be good for at least 4.1-4.4.

thats correct i'll probably use the fans of the Noctua cooler with the h80i.. =).. and will be perfect with a 5930K due to the higher dissipation area surface vs the 115X chips..

When I stress the CPU I generally use headphones because I'm working or I'm playing.
In the other case with the CPU in idle with fans under 1000rpm, h80i should not be that noisy. IMHO.

intel does not have "stock cooler with extreme chips" so you are probably talking about mainstream 115X chips..

something its probably wrong with your chip or bad mounted cooler.. first that chip can't do truly 4.2ghz only 3.9ghz under the load of 4 cores, or 4.0ghz if you increase the BCLK to 103mhz it will only do 4.2 ghz under single thread load and if it go to 70C its probably bad mounted the cooler or the thermal paste.. im using exactly that chip at 42x103mhz 1.208v with -0.070offset and gaming never pass from 55C and under prime it barely touch 64 the hottest core and that its with a hyper212+ in push/pull.. at stock speed (and i have lot of post with images) it never go above 56C under p95 in 22C room temp.. and overclocked never go above 50C when i used a h100i with that chip... Picture.. even the h70 i've used before the h100i was faulty it peaked at 66C under prime..

thats correct i'll probably use the fans of the Noctua cooler with the h80i.. =).. and will be perfect with a 5930K due to the higher dissipation area surface vs the 115X chips..

That's strange since I have three different computer with the same identical hardware all reaching 70°.
Probably you don't use the right tool to measure temps :D

In any case your 55° at 22° room temperature is not too distant from mine 70° at 30° room temperature.

Regarding the noctua fans, making some maths, the nf-p12 fans aren't better than the one used on h80i at the same noise level.
So using the noctua nf-p12 on the h80i is a no sense, in case someone wants reduced noise, he can simply use the h80i built in fans at 1200rpm.

the NF-P12 are indeed better than the SP120L used in the h80i.. they are the same fans used in the h100i and i changed the h100i fans for SP120 (which still perform better performance/noise vs the SP120L at any RPM, even with the SP120 maxed at 2200RPM and the SP120L at 2600RPM). things went even better in push/pull.. then i bought 4x NF-F12 and 4x NF-P12.. and both was a good improvement in performance/noise vs the SP120.. in fact i changed all my case fans due to the that test, changed all my SP120 Quiet from the case intake fans to NF-P12 and the radiator fans to push/pull NF-F12.. if you buy a h80i test it you will be pleased with the performance of the NF-P12.

the NF-P12 are indeed better than the SP120L used in the h80i.. they are the same fans used in the h100i and i changed the h100i fans for SP120 (which still perform better performance/noise vs the SP120L at any RPM, even with the SP120 maxed at 2200RPM and the SP120L at 2600RPM). things went even better in push/pull.. then i bought 4x NF-F12 and 4x NF-P12.. and both was a good improvement in performance/noise vs the SP120.. in fact i changed all my case fans due to the that test, changed all my SP120 Quiet from the case intake fans to NF-P12 and the radiator fans to push/pull NF-F12.. if you buy a h80i test it you will be pleased with the performance of the NF-P12.

Math says that you are wrong on every sentence.
Sp120 has more CFM and more static pressure than SP120L when maxed out.
SP120 has double more than double The static pressure of the nf-p12 and way more cfm too.

IMHO is better to use sp120 at 1000rpm when in balanced mode and push the 77cfm at 4 static pressure when in full load.

again, go, buy the h80i and test yourself.. first. CFM are nothing for radiators without static pressure, if you compare:

SP120 Quiet edition at 1450RPM - 1.29mm/H2O - 37.85CFM(cubic feet/minute to m³/h =63.20m³/h)
Noctua NF-P12 at 1300RPM - 1.68mm/H2O - 92.2m³/h
Noctua NF-F12 at 1500RPM - 2.61mm/H2O - 93.4m³/h
SP120 Perf. Edition at 2350RPM - 3.1mm/H2O - 106.4m³/h

are you sure about the math supporting your theory? are you sure the SP120L which its provided with the H80i are better at 1000RPM than a Noctua NF-P12 or the even better NF-F12?.. btw the h80i in balanced mode can go up all the way to 1800RPM.. =). and the loud at that RPM trust me its very very noticeable.. anything above 1500RPM will be noticeable if you are in a quiet room. specially if you have a quiet card and case and anything above 2000RPM its the hell of LOUD, even if you use headphones in quiet scenes or dialogues gaming you will hear the fans if you are near the case..

Last edited:
again, go, buy the h80i and test yourself.. first. CFM are nothing for radiators without static pressure, if you compare:

SP120 Quiet edition at 1450RPM - 1.29mm/H2O - 37.85CFM(cubic feet/minute to m³/h =63.20m³/h)
Noctua NF-P12 at 1300RPM - 1.68mm/H2O - 92.2m³/h
Noctua NF-F12 at 1500RPM - 2.61mm/H2O - 93.4m³/h
SP120 Perf. Edition at 2350RPM - 3.1mm/H2O - 106.4m³/h

are you sure about the math supporting your theory? are you sure the SP120L which its provided with the H80i are better at 1000RPM than a Noctua NF-P12 or the even better NF-F12?.. btw the h80i in balanced mode can go up all the way to 1800RPM.. =). and the loud at that RPM trust me its very very noticeable.. anything above 1500RPM will be noticeable if you are in a quiet room. specially if you have a quiet card and case and anything above 2000RPM its the hell of LOUD, even if you use headphones in quiet scenes or dialogues gaming you will hear the fans if you are near the case..

Ad I told you I care about noise on idle/light usage, on full load I would like to get performance and the sp120 throws out 77cfm with 4mm/h2o.

well, nothing i can say to you to understand the reality, you are so obstinate to understand, but well, its your call.. i was just trying to help in my experience (and in the experience of a lot of people). if you like to use a jet engine as machine its your decision, but trust me at 1500RPM push/pull you will get better cooling performance than the SP120Performance at full blast and it will be way quieter than the SP120.. you can test it by yourself later.. i will not waste my time answering this thread with stubborn people..

well, nothing i can say to you to understand the reality, you are so obstinate to understand, but well, its your call.. i was just trying to help in my experience (and in the experience of a lot of people). if you like to use a jet engine as machine its your decision, but trust me at 1500RPM push/pull you will get better cooling performance than the SP120Performance at full blast and it will be way quieter than the SP120.. you can test it by yourself later.. i will not waste my time answering this thread with stubborn people..

Math says that 4mm/h2o at 77 cfm is more than noctua can do.
So what's your point?

maths are never traduced to real world cooling performance specially talking about radiators performance.. i can name you a lot of uber mathematically specs fans and are fail in the real world specially in terms of performance/noise... are you willing to say that the SP120 are better than Gentle Typhoon AP15s which are 1850RPM 2.0mm/H2O 58CFM?? are you sure you can say that??.. did you know how much CFM are the first stock H80/H100 Fans and how much static pressure they have? at 2500RPM 92CFM-7.7mm/H20.. and are they better than actually SP120L? NOPE.. man actually you first have to test a fan before just say how they can work just because they look good in paper..

maths are never traduced to real world cooling performance specially talking about radiators performance.. i can name you a lot of uber mathematically specs fans and are fail in the real world specially in terms of performance/noise... are you willing to say that the SP120 are better than Gentle Typhoon AP15s which are 1850RPM 2.0mm/H2O 58CFM?? are you sure you can say that??.. did you know how much CFM are the first stock H80/H100 Fans and how much static pressure they have? at 2500RPM 92CFM-7.7mm/H20.. and are they better than actually SP120L? NOPE.. man actually you first have to test a fan before just say how they can work just because they look good in paper..

OK, I will try and see but I don't know how a 100mph car can be faster than a 150mph car.
I will try but I know the result already

OK, I will try and see but I don't know how a 100mph car can be faster than a 150mph car.
I will try but I know the result already

It's not like there's some unbiased 3rd party group that rates fan performance and tells the companies what to put on their boxes. The fan producers themselves make the tests, all with slightly different methodologies. Generally, "on the box" fan statistics are only useful for comparing fans made by the same manufacturer. Comparing fans of different manufacturers requires actual reviews and research.

Here's a good place to start:

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/04/24/fan-testing-round-11/

More information about the benefits of push/pull:

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/06/08/hesmelaughs-radiator-sandwich-testing/

Back