I love my Blackberry Storm!

.141 seems to have increased the overall responsiveness yet again, especially the dial pad.

Its toss up right now between a Storm and a 8900. Which one do I get guys?

Both are unlocked on ATT... No WIFI on Storm, no hard keyboard either, but it is more media centric...

Would the storm be worth it on EDGE period?

If you are [H], and feel comfortable upgrading the o/s, go with the Storm. It's a great device but the stock o/s blows.

hm, my new every 2 is on the 17th of may. right now i have a samsung uch-740, which has been rebranded as the "alias". i saw pictures of the alias2, and the new grey-only alias. its been a great phone for standard calling and texting.

thinking about upgrading to one of these god damn things. $30 a month for a data plan? pssh. so far ive seen the htc has some variants. touch/pro/fuze? and then theres the omnia and some other variants of 'smart' phones.

im just trying to figure out if one of these things is worth it. i currently get 25% off my bill every month because of the company i work for. my buddy just got the storm, my girl has an iphone, and my other buddy just got a G1. i hate the iphone, the G1 looks more my style, but i want to stick to verizon. so i guess that means HTC or Storm.

i dunno wtf to do. i guess ill just go and dick around with the phones at the local store. maybe ill be sucked into the data phone crap.

arg.

My life would fall apart if I went back to one of those regular phones. That's all I'm saying. Having an easy to use sync-able calendar on my side 24/7 makes missing appts a thing of the past. That in itself's worth the $30/month. Pandora on the road, podtrapper, rss feeds, gps, email, maps, opera...all just a bonus.

the gps/maps are what sticks out the most to me. i have in-dash aftermarket gps in my car, so im good when im there. but being able to look up anything while i was walkin around anywhere seems highly convenient. the pandora thing would be cool if i could plug it into my car stereo, which i think i probably could with a stereo jack.

the only thing that worries me about this phone and others like it, is that if i actually started using it all the time for browing the web and watching videos and playing music and bla bla bla, id have to charge the thing all the god damn time or just leave it plugged in constantly. while this wouldnt be such a big deal to me, but the abuse of the battery seems like it may be a problem for battery life.

am i just being too battery cautious here, or is this a rational concern?

No that is a real concern IMO, I have a storm and the battery life sucks compared to the other Blackberrys. Although the screen is twice the size so its to be expected, but you wont last a full day without a charge doing everything the phone is capable of frequently.

No that is a real concern IMO, I have a storm and the battery life sucks compared to the other Blackberrys. Although the screen is twice the size so its to be expected, but you wont last a full day without a charge doing everything the phone is capable of frequently.

I think that is another major matter dependent on what firmware you are running. since I ditched .75 for .113 battery life has increased dramatically

I charge it every night, but there have been a few days where the battery died on me during the day.

So how about the leaked pics of the new storm 2? No clicky screen? will this be a winner?

I think that is another major matter dependent on what firmware you are running. since I ditched .75 for .113 battery life has increased dramatically

Im running .141, and still no where near my old Curve..

I actually like the click screen, i always mess up when typing on phones like the iPhone.

.148 has been leaked for the 9530. QuickLaunch acting up seems to be the main issue, otherwise the regular speed improvements, plus a few other fixes. I'm still on .132 for the time being.

.148 has been leaked for the 9530. QuickLaunch acting up seems to be the main issue, otherwise the regular speed improvements, plus a few other fixes. I'm still on .132 for the time being.

.148 FIXES THE VOLUME BUG IN MEDIA PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the best damn thing about it, right there..........

EDIT: It's in Verizon's "friendly user" testing phase right now according to "patches" over on Crackberry. It might just end up passing, but you never know.

Ok...so...last night I:

1. backed up 3rd party apps
2. backed up databases
3. wiped the phone using jlcmd
4. used crackmem
5. installed .148
6. restored 3rd party apps
7. restored databases

The phone has been hell all day long. From reboots while taking pictures, to freezes while entering google searches, I terrorized this poor device. I'm debating about starting from scratch, scratch or just waiting for the official from VZW and playing nice w/ it.

Any one else experience this or have recommendations?

Ok, this has potential.

Bolt Browser

Verdict: Best mobile browsing experience on the Storm by far!

I just pasted an email thread notification into bolt and it popped me right down to the new post! No more zooming with opera for me. :) Bolt actually makes the whole page usable and readable for extended browsing sessions.

Last edited:
Ive been using .148 without any real issues, did the same thing, full wipe just didnt reload all the databases. Only did contacts and calendar.

The speakerphone seems less loud than previous versions. I may give lyrdical's 5.0/.148? hybrid a shot seeing as soulesschild approves it. What are the advantages?

I ran into a guy today that still had .75 on his storm! Oh the horror!

People still own a storm?! Ohh the horror! Thank the lord that palm pre is right around the corner!!

Aha. Yup, some of us kept the faith and hope to be rewarded long after this .148 releases. IMO, its still in need of some OS tweaks and the memory leaks need to stop...unless that's due to 3rd party apps, hehe.

However I'm a very critical dude and I dig the storm, so that's saying something. Its display is gorgeous and I love listening to Pandora in the background while I browse with Bolt or check my RSS feeds in Viigo...mmm...push email. :)

It might not be for everyone, but its a damn fine phone after some minor surgery. And updating it 2x a month keeps it fresh. Let's hope those updates keep on rollin in after Storm 2 hips in the scene!

(Typed from Bolt on my Blackberry Storm)

I ran into a guy today that still had .75 on his storm! Oh the horror!
I had .75 for the longest time, and switched over to the Bell .122 official. I really don't see much difference. A keyboard in portrait mode.. yay.

After six months of usage I can safely say I don't like my Storm. It's simply a weak piece of hardware. I can't understand how the main screen, which is mostly just white on black, can be so slow that they have to resort to reducing the color depth even further and introducing ugly color banding just to get it fast enough to be tolerable. App World is total molasses, a victim of overzealous software coders writing for hardware well beyond what the Storm can do.

Every time I have to wade through a painful multi-page end-user license agreement, I die a little inside.

..and I will continue to die a little inside for the next 18 months of my contract ; ;

I had .75 for the longest time, and switched over to the Bell .122 official. I really don't see much difference. A keyboard in portrait mode.. yay.

After six months of usage I can safely say I don't like my Storm. It's simply a weak piece of hardware. I can't understand how the main screen, which is mostly just white on black, can be so slow that they have to resort to reducing the color depth even further and introducing ugly color banding just to get it fast enough to be tolerable. App World is total molasses, a victim of overzealous software coders writing for hardware well beyond what the Storm can do.

Every time I have to wade through a painful multi-page end-user license agreement, I die a little inside.

..and I will continue to die a little inside for the next 18 months of my contract ; ;

im assuming you dont like the storm?

I think the initial rush of "first smartphone woowoo!" wore off and I realized I had a pretty weak smartphone.

I think the initial rush of "first smartphone woowoo!" wore off and I realized I had a pretty weak smartphone.

I don't see how the Storm is a "weak" smartphone? I love my phone. Pandora + Slacker, some great games, decent web browsing, great for typing emails and work related stuff

This isn't really the thread to go into details. The device is simply underpowered, and it shows in many ways.

I put on .148 yesterday, and got caught up with the "wiped everything and lost stock apps" thing several people on Crackberry were reporting. I was able to get my contacts back from an old backup, and spent this morning putting back the apps I really need. About the only difference so far is for some reason Facebook is now integrating with my contacts, which is not a totally bad thing. I don't know if it's push or if I have to request updates periodically. It doesn't seem to grab much though.

I'm beginning to really notice the "dust under screen" issue.

I just have read thru most of the thread and im still not convinced on buying the storm. Im looking for an all in one device and the Omnia seems better for that. Wifi is a big + for me since the data plan are pricey as hell.

Im still undecided... wish i was ;)

Ok, helicopter is the ultimate "taking a shit" game. :eek: Air Traffic Control's pretty awesome too, but takes a bit more concentration. It's definitely a "sitting on the couch" game.

The new slacker apps switches songs MUCH faster than Pandora or the old version now. It also seems to produce more bass when output to my car stereo through an FM tuner.

And I'm spent. Will be the proud owner of a Pre or G1 tomorrow. Having finally had a chance to use a smartphone for good amount of time has led me to believe a hardware slide out QWERTY's required in order to truly get the most out of it.

As much as the Storm offers, the OS and RIDICULOUSLY tiny app memory footprint have left it lacking. Also, my Storm has started to gather dust INSIDE of the screen that take the form of sparkly little dots...very distracting while watching a movie.

Perhaps if the keyboard did not LAG all day long and frustrate the crap out of me, I could tolerate this. But after speaking w/ a VZW rep and sup yesterday and having a generally crummy experience, I've decided to leave Verizon too. I'm in PHX and it's got good coverage on most networks so there's no reason to put up w/ their BS and $ gouging anymore.

Peace!

Updated the storm in my hands to 148 and its still slow...

Meh. 9630 from VZ feels like a much better device.

I too disliked my storm. Bought it as an upgrade from a simple z6tv and after just 4months i've switched back. The whole device just feels sluggish. Never quick when you need it to be, even during simple tasks. Hopefully the next gen is a little better.

I am now the very happy owner of a pre! The speed and ease with which I can do things now absolutely floors me. This page loaded in 3 seconds via wifi. I haven't made a single typing mistake on this post yet! The device feels much better in my hand as well. For $100 bucks I finally have a portable net browser experience that feels like the real thing.

The BB and its archaic OS simply do not offer anywhere near the level of usability as Palms darling.

128320993454987500dudewaitw.jpg

You telling me that you dropped the storm for the pre?? Wow and you are the OP too. Well im happy for you. I have always wanted the storm, and the only thing that was holding me back was its provider. I wouldnt dare switching from sprint. I hope you enjoy the pre and my upgrade period is in 2 days, and im debating between the pre or the tour, leaning toward the pre though. Also i hope you enjoy sprint also.

Haha! Awesome pic. I gave the Storm a VERY fair shot. I did all the tricks, but no konami code would bring me wifi or a capable browser. It had to go.

I went into VZW today and had a very honest conversation with the manager. Long story short, I will be receiving a Tour for my Storm. Ill have a tough decision ahead of me then for sure. But thank you for your comment, I can rest easier knowing Sprint can be a worthy carrier. I think it's time for another thread, don't you?

Last edited:
Haha! Awesome pic. I gave the Storm a VERY fair shot. I did all the tricks, but no konami code would bring me wifi or a capable browser. It had to go.

I went into VZW today and had a very honest conversation with the manager. Long story short, I will be receiving a Tour for my Storm. Ill have a tough decision ahead of me then for sure. But thank you for your comment, I can rest easier knowing Sprint can be a worthy carrier. I think it's time for another thread, don't you?

Think I'll be doing the same. I'm going in tomorrow to return this storm and see what other options VZW has and if not I'll be dropping VZW for perhaps AT&T. I really have tried to like the storm but it has so many quirks it just isn't fun dealing with them anymore.

Don't really want to switch to an Iphone, but as far as my multimedia needs go I don't see another phone doing a better job. Oh well...We'll see how my conversation goes tomorrow.

Back