I love my ancient stereo, but hate the hiss.

Loser_guy

Limp Gawd
The current stereo I'm using on my pc is this gawdy thing I bought ~12 years ago (my first decently expensive purchase when I was 12):
x257MXGT700-f.jpeg

I absolutely love the sound of it. It has nice bass and a good sound stage, at least compared to some other similarly styled systems. Unfortunately it hisses like crazy. The volume of the hissing is constant until you turn the volume knob off then it goes away, and Idk if it matter but headphones don't hiss when plugged in directly.

I doubt there is anyway, but is it possible to fix it?

and if not, how would I go about selecting a receiver and amp? I think the total output was 330w but will I need two amps - one for the tweeters and one for the subs? and what kind of specs outside of wattage are important to look into?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Some combination of the components in your JVC MX-GT700 stereo aging, EMI interference, and the sound card you're running it off of in your PC.
What are you using for a sound card? If it's not well isolated/shielded it can pick up all sorts of EMI from the motherboard.
How is it connected to the stereo? If the audio cable is not shielded, crossing power, display, and other wires can cause interference.

Get 2x JBL LSR308's and some shielded XLR cables, worked for me when my 14 year old Klispch's kicked it. You got a decade out of that stereo, time to upgrade.

Time to get new gear. What is your budget?

Honestly kind of low, if I do do this I'll probably stick with these speakers and just upgrade to a standalone receiver/amp since I don't need a cd player or tape deck lol.

Some combination of the components in your JVC MX-GT700 stereo aging, EMI interference, and the sound card you're running it off of in your PC.
What are you using for a sound card? If it's not well isolated/shielded it can pick up all sorts of EMI from the motherboard.
How is it connected to the stereo? If the audio cable is not shielded, crossing power, display, and other wires can cause interference.

Get 2x JBL LSR308's and some shielded XLR cables, worked for me when my 14 year old Klispch's kicked it. You got a decade out of that stereo, time to upgrade.

Using onboard sound on my MSI 990fx GD80v2, but it hisses regardless of what's plugged into it - even with nothing at all.

Right now those speakers are out of what I'd like to spend, I may be happening upon a part-time welding job (while working on my ME degree) so that may change. And I know what these speakers are capable of so I'd like to stick with them while ditching the head unit.

EDIT: would it be feasible to take a receiver such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/PVA3U-Hi-Fi-A...d=1410490018&sr=1-4&keywords=60+watt+receiver
and use it to power the tweeters (naturally my speakers have a set of wires for the sub and a separate set for tweeters) then use an amp like this
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Ch.../B00K0MZR88/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_clickstream_2_dp
to power the subs?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The current stereo I'm using on my pc is this gawdy thing I bought ~12 years ago (my first decently expensive purchase when I was 12):
x257MXGT700-f.jpeg

I absolutely love the sound of it. It has nice bass and a good sound stage, at least compared to some other similarly styled systems. Unfortunately it hisses like crazy. The volume of the hissing is constant until you turn the volume knob off then it goes away, and Idk if it matter but headphones don't hiss when plugged in directly.

I doubt there is anyway, but is it possible to fix it?

and if not, how would I go about selecting a receiver and amp? I think the total output was 330w but will I need two amps - one for the tweeters and one for the subs? and what kind of specs outside of wattage are important to look into?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Dried up capacitors make the amp hiss. You can have them professionally replaced for the price of a new stereo combo like that.

If you're really nostalgic about your setup you can have it fixed, otherwise it would be far smarter to go to visit a real hi-fi shop and check the actual good sounding products.

Get a TPA3116 amp on the cheap. Should work fine with those speakers.

used / vintage depending on location / luck

just posted this in another thread... anyways I am waist deep in speakers scores around here...

these are a few of my speakers

most I paid for any of these was $50 for the NHT SuperZero's (well worth it) :: Mini Advents $7 :: Minimus 77 $10 :: Monitor Audio Silver S1 $11 (LOL... crazy low price) and little baby Optimus Pro-X5 $10

Also in pic my little SMSL t-amp $60 shipped with quality 4Amp liteon power supply

Back