I "lost" my cd drives... help

coldgold111

Weaksauce
i recently moved all my stuff from one case to another but now my comp doesnt read either of my hd's except in bios it reads one... when im in xp it has none... what do i do? there both firmly connected and have power..... the ide cable works

Well, it obviously read sone if you cna boot into windows.

If you take and and replace the IDE cable on the other one, you cna see if it takes you to the "add new hardware" wizard thingy...

Are your BIOS flashed to the nost recent edition?

Did you intall the drivers? How big are the hard drives? Did you use the cd's that came with the hard drives to properly format them? My seagate 80gig had to formatted before i installed a new os on it and i had to use the cd, i couldnt just format thru windows....how is the motherboard? New, old, did you accidently bump it? The controller for the drives might be bad, a lot of stuff...listen to see if the hard drives that arent showing are powering up and spinning...

dont have driver... getting those... they didnt come w/ the cd drives i have an 80 gig thats been runnin xp since xp pro came out... its formatted fine need to flash my bios but there pretty much up to date

highly doubt this, but its possible your jumper settings are bad. though they have to be right on the drive that boots into windows, becuase it cant detect if the jumpers are bad, i think.

The last time i had this problem it was IDE cables. It would let me into windows but then icouldnt see any drives!

i can boot but there are no drives but now i have one lol i think it may be ide cable but i had no way of testing it cause my other ide cable fore my hd doesnt reach both drives so i traded w/ my pal and i think it will work (crosses fingers) thanks for the help guys/gals/its

Have you set up the partitions in disk management? Usually if you have a blank drive you have to set it up in windows. Go to control panels, administrative tools, computer management, storage, and then look at disk management. Hopefully that helps!

Back