I Like Windows 10 But I'm Going Back To Windows 8.1

But that's me. You clearly have some system that works for you.

It's a silly argument. Who the hell looks through hundreds of things just to pick one easily forgotten thing with any regularity? Digital game libraries have their own organization system to help mitigate this issues. There's just so many ways to deal with this that I don't get the argument.

Trying to find a game among 300 icons is equally nuts. And if you're using the start menu, you either have to click through a bunch of sub folders (games-><pub> -> <game title -> exe

If I know what to click on, I can type it faster than I can type. I'm mean honestly, there's never a time where I go, "Hmm I want to play that game that I don't know the name of, but can remember exactly where the icon is."

But that's me. You clearly have some system that works for you.

Nope, I categorize my games into sub folders of a Game folder and it is quite efficient to find the game I want. A lot quicker than trying to remember the name of the game I want to play. Also, I sometimes like to browse my game folders to see if any fancy my interest. This type to start your progs/games/apps is only useful for people that have hardly anything installed, like non-gamers.

err.. No...

I've had the opportunity to run clean installs one after the other on the same hardware, (installed Win7, immediately upgraded to Win10, then wiped and clean installed win 10) and I agree. Windows 10 feels a little snappier.

Not sure if it is an illusion based on window animations or if it is real, but Windows 10 definitely FEELS snappier to me.

Maybe it uses hardware acceleration in the GUI better than 7 did, or something like that, but the feel is unmistakable.

Win10 boot time will also be faster, primarily because of the new boot features introduced in Windows 8. I don't personally benefit from these though, as I use "powercfg -h off" on all my machines, to stop wasting SSD space on a large hiberfil.sys (it adds up when you have a lot of RAM)

Nope, I categorize my games into sub folders of a Game folder and it is quite efficient to find the game I want. A lot quicker than trying to remember the name of the game I want to play. Also, I sometimes like to browse my game folders to see if any fancy my interest. This type to start your progs/games/apps is only useful for people that have hardly anything installed, like non-gamers.

No, actually, it's perfect for people with tons of shit installed. It's why it's so efficient when using Control Panel. I don't know what I want, but I search for what I think I want and it comes up.

In your case, I could search for Action Games and that folder would come up (and possibly all the games within that folder, though I can't be sure, because I quit using folders 6 years ago, when I realized I could just search for what I want).

Zarathustra[H];1041785036 said:
I've had the opportunity to run clean installs one after the other on the same hardware, (installed Win7, immediately upgraded to Win10, then wiped and clean installed win 10) and I agree. Windows 10 feels a little snappier.

Not sure if it is an illusion based on window animations or if it is real, but Windows 10 definitely FEELS snappier to me.

Not sure about 7, but I know 8's ui (when you go to the start screen) feels slower than 7, thanks to the animation. The good news is if you just hit <win> and then start typing, it goes in the search box before the animation has stopped. So if 10 feels faster than 7, I suspect it's faster, or they've eliminated all animation for minimizing/maximizing windows.

Windows 10 literally boots in 2 seconds off of an SSD.

Windows 7? Christ. :confused: The f*** is happening for so long?

Metro is still ugly. I really don't understand why they decided to go with the AOL kids theme when Aero was gorgeous.

this. i couldn't handle the flats in 8.1 until i put the aeroglass mod back in.

the thing i find funny is they kept saying how outdated aero looked, but it consistently looks much more modern than the return to win 3.1 style.

was the move to solid and flat design some kinda hipster thing? it feels like it.

I am staying with Windows 10 on all my computers. If I need something that does not work with it, I have a Windows 7 and Windows XP virtual machines for that purpose at work.

I'd rather get rid of the post time than worry about windows taking 2 or 10 seconds to load.
But I just did a clean install of windows7 and the boot time was ridicilously fast. Until I installed every program and application that I use, when it went back to the same as it was before.

Untill either Microsoft or Stardocks makes some cool skins for Windows 10 I'm staying clear of it.

In your case, I could search for Action Games and that folder would come up (and possibly all the games within that folder, though I can't be sure, because I quit using folders 6 years ago, when I realized I could just search for what I want).

I just tested it on 8.1 and it comes up with action center and no action games folder so you are wrong. How many progs/apps/games you have installed? If it is less than 20 don't bother responding.

Yup, it's a great idea to measure the responsiveness of everything a computer does based on how quickly it boots up. Obviously anyone who's the slightest bit informed about how a computer works agree that this is the most sensible and reasonable single way to determine if performance is vastly better or not.

I'd rather get rid of the post time than worry about windows taking 2 or 10 seconds to load.
But I just did a clean install of windows7 and the boot time was ridicilously fast. Until I installed every program and application that I use, when it went back to the same as it was before.

THIS! Post is so freaking long.

was the move to solid and flat design some kinda hipster thing? it feels like it.

If you notice, every thing is going that route. Flat/boring is the current trend in branding/advertising across most markets. Tech has taken a much further, though. Just look at iOS9, Android, Windows - all are going flat. I don't bother looking at any Macs so I can't tell you if OS X is going that way. Almost makes me miss the Luna UI as tacky as it was.

I just tested it on 8.1 and it comes up with action center and no action games folder so you are wrong. How many progs/apps/games you have installed? If it is less than 20 don't bother responding.

Do you index those folders? If not, then that's your problem. And honestly if you're scrolling through folders/exe to find some game you might want to play, then efficiency is not your goal. At that point, you're essentially using your remote and seeing what's on each channel

Back