I like the way Asus' phone department thinks.

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
Consumers: Man, I wish they made a phone that had like 4gb of ram.
Asus: Ok.
Consumers: How about making it a flagship?
Asus: Ok.
Consumers: Huh.. how about for like $300?
Asus: Sure thing.

https://www.asus.com/us/Phones/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/

Now..
Consumers: Hey Asus, my phone battery sucks. Can you put in like a 4000mah battery?
Asus: No.
Consumers: Awwwww..
Asus: How about a 5000mah battery? It's so big you can charge your old cellphone from it.
Consumers: You guys should really go teach the hardware RMA department how not to suck.

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_announces_zenfone_max_with_5000_mah_battery-news-13416.php

Those both seem crazy in the best ways. I'm still not a fan of the trend towards huge screens, but damn.

In my opinion this is the best phone on the market, i can't believe how cheap it is. I can't wait to get it and put win10 on it.

Gizmodo Zenfone 2 Review
7/16/15

"Ready for the catch? Asus has stuffed it to the gills with a ridiculous, insane, jaw-dropping amount of software bloat.
I know, it’s a little passe to complain about pre-installed software and Android skins. But trust me, things are bad:
How bad? Well, on first boot, the Zenfone had 67 installed apps. If I spread them all out on homescreens (a thing you should not do if you value your soul or spare time), there’s four entire screens of pre-installed software on this pocket computer. Including apps that spam you with prompts to speed up your phone!
Okay, a few of the apps are admittedly useful, like Google’s suite of services; others, like the Asus™ Share Link and Asus™ Party Link and Asus™ PC Link, to be expected but still annoying; the handful of random third-party apps (hi, Omlet Chat) are just weird.
Things don’t stop at gratuitous apps, either. The Zen UI badly duct-taped onto Android Lollipop is flat-out ugly. It’s Google’s Material Design, but with none of the taste or the minimalism, just the garish colors. You can get rid of the worst part of Zen by installing your own app launcher, which basically replaces the home screen, but you’re always going to be stuck with the awful notifications and Settings.
Once you get past the software (alcohol helps), you might notice that Asus has hit almost all the key elements of a good phone head-on. The screen is 1080p, which in practice means a resolution good enough that you’re never going to see a single damn pixel. Where it counts, the screen is great, if not mind-blowing: colors are bright where the OnePlus is washed out. The only real let-down is the brightness — it’s a little dimmer than the average, which makes using the phone under direct sunlight occasionally frustrating".

I think its cheap because Asus has no brand recognition in mobile phones. I dont think they have the ability to sell it through carriers. So that means they dont go through the certification process which cost money and its not guaranteed to work well with the carrier you want to use it with, if you are using it on T-Mobile it wont have Wifi calling etc. But damn did they try to really raise the bar like Oneplus.

I think they price their phones so well is because they are more interested in getting some brand awareness for their phone. They are a relatively newcomer to the Smartphone market and they need something to stand out, especially amidst an ocean of other android phones.

My mother has the Zenphone 2 (4GB/32GB version), while I have the Padfone S (or Padfone X in US), I am quite impressed at the phone, especially at the tablet screen dock (it fits my needs and use perfectly), and I probably will get the upgraded Padfone S when it EoL's.

The Zenphone max has gone all out on battery life it seems, doubling battery while cutting the specs down to save battery, makes sense (the 720p screen is actually what I had hoped Padfone S would use instead, 1080p on that screen is quite heavy on the battery, and I cannot see the difference between the two at the same 5").

Yeah, the RMA/CS process is why I don't consider Asus products anymore. I think their hardware is pretty good overall, but you better hope it doesn't break, or you'll be paying $25+ shipping both ways while waiting 3-5 weeks for your shit to come back. I went through this 3 times with one of their Transformer tabs and they refused to pay shipping all 3 times. It's hard to argue with an Indian guy that hardly understands what you're pissed about in the first place too.

My friend, who I hang out with all the time, has the ZenFone 2, so I get to see it pretty often. I would actually want to get it if I wasn't already waiting to see the new Nexus 5 (2015) and Nexus 6 (2015).

@T4rd
Yeah, my ASUS ROG MI7 mobo had to get through RMA, and it was ridiculous dealing with ASUS. First time it was okay, because I just winded up returning it to Amazon. The second time I wasn't in the return window, so I wasn't so lucky. I had a problem with my motherboard only seeing one RAM slot. The first recommendation from them is telling me to buy new processor and RAM, and I was like that is an unreasonable demand because the computer works with one RAM. And then I sent it in, and they tell me it was a bent pin in the socket... So I give them over $200 for them to fix and ship back to me... Ridiculous.

A 5000mAh battery and a 720 display? Jesus christmas am I going to need to charge it more than once a week?!

Needs a compact version with similar specs.

That's the only thing that has me shying away. I don't like the trend of 5"+ phones. I'd like something smaller that has nice medium to medium / high end specs. I'm leaning towards the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact now. Price is a bit more, but it is significantly smaller.

When is someone going to make a premium quality phone that's 5" or less. The original Moto X was the *perfect* form factor.

I am interested in hearing how these phones stack up against the current flagships. Real word personal testimony not a stinkin' review please. Like many of you I would be all over a smaller version with similar specs.

I think its cheap because Asus has no brand recognition in mobile phones. I dont think they have the ability to sell it through carriers. So that means they dont go through the certification process which cost money and its not guaranteed to work well with the carrier you want to use it with, if you are using it on T-Mobile it wont have Wifi calling etc. But damn did they try to really raise the bar like Oneplus.

Actually I think they do have brand recognition in that area, just not in this country.

Normally I wouldn't care about Xiaomi and it might never reach the U.S.. But apparently they'll have a Mi 4c: 5" 1080p, Snapdragon 808, 2GB RAM, 3,080 mAH battery phone for $204. Whoa.

I think they price their phones so well is because they are more interested in getting some brand awareness for their phone. They are a relatively newcomer to the Smartphone market and they need something to stand out, especially amidst an ocean of other android phones.

My mother has the Zenphone 2 (4GB/32GB version), while I have the Padfone S (or Padfone X in US), I am quite impressed at the phone, especially at the tablet screen dock (it fits my needs and use perfectly), and I probably will get the upgraded Padfone S when it EoL's.

The Zenphone max has gone all out on battery life it seems, doubling battery while cutting the specs down to save battery, makes sense (the 720p screen is actually what I had hoped Padfone S would use instead, 1080p on that screen is quite heavy on the battery, and I cannot see the difference between the two at the same 5").

How did you use the Padfone S in USA? I couldn't find one with AT&T GSM band...
I have a New PadFone Infinity, and I have to say it's the best Android phone in term of build quality, but no lollipop / LTE support..... :(

Normally I wouldn't care about Xiaomi and it might never reach the U.S.. But apparently they'll have a Mi 4c: 5" 1080p, Snapdragon 808, 2GB RAM, 3,080 mAH battery phone for $204. Whoa.

If you don't care how long you will ever get your hands onto the phone and some horrible performance, then sure.... Also, their backdoor system if you don't mind.....

I have the zenfone 2, 4gig ram 64 gig storage model. I would rather have a major flagship phone but for the sub 300$ it is fast and doesn't slow down. I wish I could uninstall some of the apps but, it is faster and snappier (some due to settings) than anyone I work with and it gets noticed for being quick.

I hate carrier locked phones and like to support the new world of phones as hand computers that happen to make phone calls.

Phone is not perfect but, I like it.

Back