I know its an old game but F.e.a.r won't run on my 1060 laptop.

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
However it runs fine on my windows 10 1803 Ryzen x360 R2500u vega8 laptop HUH?. Usually i don't have issues with Nvidia but for AMD to run game but Nvidia won't? all I get is a black screen with a big hourglass..it just hangs on launch. I tried compatibility xp and 7 nothing appears to work and I have to force power off to get machine back. No clue. full specs are 24gb ram 3gb gtx 1060 I7700 500 nvme with micron 2tb storage ssd windows 10 1803.....all latest drivers....

Check the event viewer and see what happened when you try to start the game. It could give us an easier way to track down the issue, like if there is a specific .dll causing the crash. Usually setting compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 3) fixes it. Could additionally try disabling fullscreen optimizations.

I would say that if you installed the drivers directly from NVIDIA, try the ones from your laptop's manfacturer instead.

I want to say I've experienced some odd behavior with FEAR on modern machines, but I can't remember having to do anything particular to get it running. Try to launch it in windowed mode if possible.

I want to say I've experienced some odd behavior with FEAR on modern machines, but I can't remember having to do anything particular to get it running. Try to launch it in windowed mode if possible.
FWIW I've only ever had issues with the Extraction Point expansion since it was never updated to the most current version of the base game.

Fixed it!! first you have to install this : https://steamcommunity.com/app/388080/ install Border less gaming app.

then you create a Fear Shortcut to start it in windowed mode us +windowed -1 in target line after the last quote marks.

fire up the border less gaming app select fear and there you are, works perfectly...

only took me five hours to figure this out

That's odd. Last time I tried to play it, I just launched it and it worked. I can't remember if I had to tweak anything for proper resolutions though. Now I want to try it again. I love this game.

Does your laptop have Optimus? If so, it might be autoselecting the iGPU instead of the dGPU.

VR laptops don't have optimus straight Nvidia graphics.....Intel graphics are disabled by manufacturer optimus is is incompatible with VR .

I wish they would update this game. It's still got the bug where it runs at 30 fps if you use a Logitech mouse or keyboard. This game is a classic and one of the great shooters of all time. It deserves to run properly on all machines. To think it'll be a crime if there'll be a generation of gamers that don't get to play this because it won't work on modern rigs.

I wish they would update this game. It's still got the bug where it runs at 30 fps if you use a Logitech mouse or keyboard. This game is a classic and one of the great shooters of all time. It deserves to run properly on all machines. To think it'll be a crime if there'll be a generation of gamers that don't get to play this because it won't work on modern rigs.
Say what? I've used Logitech mice for 20 years and never ran into that issue with this game. I even always use the Logitech Gaming Software. Last time I played F.E.A.R. was with a G700S and the game was running locked at 144 FPS the entire time.

As far as I'm aware it's an old issue with Windows if you hot plug a lot of different USB devices, not being specific to Logitech input devices.

Say what? I've used Logitech mice for 20 years and never ran into that issue with this game. I even always use the Logitech Gaming Software. Last time I played F.E.A.R. was with a G700S and the game was running locked at 144 FPS the entire time.

As far as I'm aware it's an old issue with Windows if you hot plug a lot of different USB devices, not being specific to Logitech input devices.

No it's still there. I just played it a couple weeks ago and had to patch it again (I'd reinstalled it recently) because of my Logitech keyboard.

Its not that big a deal to patch it tho but hate you have to.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/21090/discussions/0/343785380897389173

Back