I know it's a simple thing to ask, but I haven't gone shopping in a while: USB flash

sharkapult

Limp Gawd
I know it seems a simple thing to ask about, but I haven't really gone USB flash drive shopping in over 3 years, a 2gb Corsair Flash Voyager being the last drive I bought.

I got a couple SanDisk drives, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, and a Kingston 8gb from work...but I can't complain about (nor choose) free drives.

My dad wanted an 8gb drive, so I gave him my Kingston for Christmas, and bumped my Sandisk 8gb to tech tools drive duties.

I'm looking into a 32gb or 64gb (I believe price will dictate I go 32gb) for a replacement drive.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good, FAST drive? I do plan on keeping large files & system images on there (Acronis True Image, ISOs, etc). Maybe even go so far as to keep and run a VirtualBox image on it should I break down and go 64gb.

And an external harddrive isn't an option for these things: I already have a few, I'm looking for something for my keychain.

OCZ and a few others have 32 and 64 GB drives with both eSATA and USB. I would get one of those.

But, doesn't that eSATA one require a USB cable be used if plugging into a USB port? That seems a real limitation to me, given that few PCs have eSATA.

I think the OCZ one does. IIRC there are others that have a regular full male USB plug on one end and eSATA on the other. Dunno which brand though.

But, doesn't that eSATA one require a USB cable be used if plugging into a USB port? That seems a real limitation to me, given that few PCs have eSATA.

There is a spec. for a powered eSATA port but I've never seen one in the wild.

Normal SATA/eSATA doesn't carry power, so those eSATA/USB units would also have to be powered by USB even when connected to eSATA.

I did see one that came with an adaptor slot cover that allowed you to configure eSATA with internal case power.

Back