I killed my Antec :(

james__bean

Weaksauce
So my Antec True Blue 480 decided to kick the bucket on me this morning. I really should have taken notice of the signs that it was going bad. My system actually just shut off on two seperate occasions. I was actually thinking this was some kind of heat issue either with my memory since my ambient temps have been a little high recently. So this morning I decided to ghetto rig an 80mm fan over my memory with zip ties. But when I hooked it up and started priming to check stability I happened upon this.

psu_small.JPG

Just from adding one 80mm fan I managed to drop the 12v line as much as 1v! (It normally operated at 11.6 and it dropped to as low as 10.68 this morning) The PSU died about 2 minutes after I took that screenshot. I was actually planning on buying a new power supply anyways, but I wanted to wait another month or so until I upgraded to an NF4 setup. So this afternoon I ordered a 510 SLI from PC Power and Cooling with an external pot on the 3.3v line. (For my current Lanparty 250GB UT) I actually wanted the 510 Express but they were out so the lady was nice enough to give me an SLI for the same price. (Honestly it only has one extra connector.) But anyways, since I won't be upgrading for a month at least, what do I do about the 24 pin PSU on my current 20 pin setup? Is it possible to just hook it up without the 4 pins or do I need to order the adapter? Is there any way I can damage the PSU or my motherboard by running a 24pin PSU with a 20 pin system? (Adapter or not) I'm running my system off a 380 Antec right now so I don't want to keep using this thing because I think my system is too much for it. I actually turned off all my overclocks and a couple fans and a fan controller just to be save.

if there is room, just hang the extra 4 pins off the connector, use a spot of hot melt glue if the connector won't stay together. if there is not room, use a 24>20 pin adapter or do as Ice Czar did, buy the ATX pin removal tool somewhere, and move the wires over to a 20 pin connector, heatshrink the ends of the unused wires and zip tie them out of the way, you will want those wires someday. :)

Heh, my True Blue 480 went the other day too. My 5v rail is down to like 4.65v average now and 4.35 low. I can still use the computer, but it takes like 3 reboots to get it to post and boot correctly.

Twister said:
Heh, my True Blue 480 went the other day too. My 5v rail is down to like 4.65v average now and 4.35 low. I can still use the computer, but it takes like 3 reboots to get it to post and boot correctly.

And you are still using it because.........

Spectre said:
And you are still using it because.........

Simple... I am waiting on its RMA replacement and once booted it is stable enough to get work done.

Back