I just tried BF3 with Nvidia's Adaptive Vsync

TroyX

[H]ard|Gawd
BLOWN AWAY after installing the latest Gtx560Ti Drivers:eek::eek::eek:

I dont see any reason for me to get a 120hz monitor now.

all props to nvidia.

What does adaptive vsync have to do with not getting a 120Hz monitor?

Probably because the 120Hz are less likely to show tearing when Vsync is off? At least that's what I've heard, but I know I've seen a ton of tearing on my 60Hz monitors even when the FPS is way below 60 so I can't confirm that.

Probably because the 120Hz are less likely to show tearing when Vsync is off? At least that's what I've heard, but I know I've seen a ton of tearing on my 60Hz monitors even when the FPS is way below 60 so I can't confirm that.

Thats not true. Youll see tearing at all fps rates with vsync off. Doesnt matter if youre above, equal to, or below the refresh rate.

There is no reason a 120hz monitor wouldve helped the OP avoid framerate drops to 30fps if they ever dip below 60fps.

BLOWN AWAY after installing the latest Gtx560Ti Drivers:eek::eek::eek:

I dont see any reason for me to get a 120hz monitor now.

all props to nvidia.

Tearing isn't the only reason to upgrade to a 120hz. I just got my 120hz Samsung last week and very surprised how smooth everything about 80fps is. There's no way i can go back.

There's nothing about 80fps vs 60fps that your eyes are going to notice, however if the framerates drop occasionally from 80 to 40 vs 60 to 30, you might notice a difference there since anything below 30fps is noticeably choppy. You may just have a better monitor than you had before which is more appealing to your eyes, but just because a monitor has 120hz capability doesn't really mean that much as long as you can maintain your framerate above 60fps as much as possible, including minimum framerate.

There's nothing about 80fps vs 60fps that your eyes are going to notice, however if the framerates drop occasionally from 80 to 40 vs 60 to 30, you might notice a difference there since anything below 30fps is noticeably choppy. You may just have a better monitor than you had before which is more appealing to your eyes, but just because a monitor has 120hz capability doesn't really mean that much as long as you can maintain your framerate above 60fps as much as possible, including minimum framerate.

Let's not get into that "what you may or may not notice" regarding frame rate as the thread always turns into what you can/can't see...

How about: 80-to-40 is better vs 60-to-30fps.

Let's not get into that "what you may or may not notice" regarding frame rate as the thread always turns into what you can/can't see...

How about: 80-to-40 is better vs 60-to-30fps.

I already stated that.

Don't 120hz monitors suck for framerates below 60fps?

Anything Single Player below 45 fps irritates me (think Metro 2033), and anything online FPS below 90 doesn't feel exactly right/smooth...the feeling is similar to drinking more than half a pot of strong coffee in 10-15 minutes :p

45+ fps SP framelocked and 100+fps online MP is where it's @ from my experiences with a 120Hz monitor. ;)

Tearing isn't the only reason to upgrade to a 120hz. I just got my 120hz Samsung last week and very surprised how smooth everything about 80fps is. There's no way i can go back.
Yeah I'm even playing games at 30-50 FPS and the smoothness is absolutely incredible! At 120FPS it's F'n nuts!

Yeah colors suck and viewing angles suck... its a tn. But the smoothness and high frame rate capability (counting on a beefy GPU) rocks!

Double the frame rate and you theoretically double the number of tear lines per second. That said, tear lines are visible for half as long as the frame rate doubles, so it's probably a wash.

Don't 120hz monitors suck for framerates below 60fps?
No.

are 120hz monitors still tn panels?
Yes.

I have an msi laptop with the nvidia 570m card, do the drivers support the 500 series cards yet?

Huh ? :confused:
You're asking about the drivers from which you can select the AdaptiveVSync options in the NVControlPanel ? If so, the answer is yes.

Back