I just retired my Emachines M6810...

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, it was a good laptop. It still works just fine, but it is just too dang heavy. Have I really aged this much since Jan 2004? ;) I replaced it with a Gateway MT3423 14.1"

Old Laptop:
Emachines M6810
AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+ (1MB cache)
512 MB DDR333 (added 1GB stick to make it 1.25 GB)
60GB 4200 RPM (upgraded to 80 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.3)
Mobility Radeon 9600 64MB
15.4" Widescreen, matte
DVD/CDRW Combo drive
Windows XP Home (Upgraded to Pro)
Price New in Jan 2004: $1299.99 (Best Buy)

New Laptop:
Gateway MT3423
AMD Turion 64X2 TL-56 (2x1800 512k)
2GB DDR2 667
Crummy Integrated Nvidia 6100, but I NEVER played games on my Emachine lappy
160 Seagate Momentus 5400.3 (this sucker came with a perpendicular drive!)
14.1" Ultrabright Glossy w/ glare reduction
8x LG DVD-RW/RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
And here's a big for me: front audio connectors! (m6810 had back and it sucked)
Prince New in August 2007: $649.99 (Circuit City)

Holy crap, it's twice the computer for half the price! May my M6810 rest in peace...with my fiancee.

I bought the M6805 the week it came out. Awe the memories this brings back. I sold mine to my buddy about a year ago, and he just retired it about a month ago. Screen flicker was really bad, battery couldn't hold a charge, and it was showing its age. Those laptops were some nice machines for the price in their hay day, RIP. :(

I have the Gasteway version of the M6811 when they rebadged (7422) and it is still in perfect working order. Added memory and a 7200 rpm HDD picked performance a bit amd had none of the normal problems associated with that version. I still have 2 'antique' Toshiba Satellites and my new EverEx and have them up and running. 2 stay on my desk with my main boxes.....life is good :cool:

I bought the M6805 the week it came out. Awe the memories this brings back. I sold mine to my buddy about a year ago, and he just retired it about a month ago. Screen flicker was really bad, battery couldn't hold a charge, and it was showing its age. Those laptops were some nice machines for the price in their hay day, RIP. :(

I had screen flicker REALLY bad on my m6810. Fixed it myself with hot glue and a lot of patience. The problem was the power inverter for the backlight was in a really bad spot (design flaw) and it came loose. I just hot glued it back together and to the chasis and it fixed it. It's been like that for 18 months.

I have the Gasteway version of the M6811 when they rebadged (7422) and it is still in perfect working order. Added memory and a 7200 rpm HDD picked performance a bit amd had none of the normal problems associated with that version. I still have 2 'antique' Toshiba Satellites and my new EverEx and have them up and running. 2 stay on my desk with my main boxes.....life is good :cool:

Well, I guess I lied a bit in my orig post. I bought the m6805 when it was new too. Cracked hinge and best buy gave me a m6810 for free (before it was a huge problem). The m6810 cracked it's hinge, but best buy made me send it in for warranty work. That was 2 years ago and no crack since!

Been considering the Everex SA2053T. I'm not looking for a powerhouse. Just something to play videos, use for office work, and very very minor gaming. I need it to be super mobile, as I do a bit of travelling.

My old Dell Inspiron 5000e should have been replaced quite a while ago. 600 mhz P3, 512 megs memory, and 8 meg ATI Rage Mobility. It of course, can't play any new or even semi-recent games. I remember testing out Warcraft III on it. I turned up every setting and the laptop just simply turned off. Like you pulled the battery and ac adapter off the laptop.

I don't expect anything great for gaming on a 12.1" notebook with integrated graphics (GMA950). As long as it plays CS:S on the lowest resolution with the lowest quality settings and 30 fps, I'll be happy. If not, oh well. Price you pay for an ultraportable and for $700, who cares.

Newegg has a great deal on it too. $699.99 for an Evertec 12.1" notebook with a T2080, 1 gig mem, 100 gig hdd, and dual layer burner.

My m6811 is still a champ. I have a slight screen flicker; but if I move the screen back and forth slightly on its hinge, it goes away. I know that it will eventually get worse, but for now it's still a killer rig.

I originally bought a m6805 on 25 Jan 04. It worked great, but the hinges cracked after about 2 months of use. When the m6811 came out, I took the m6805 back to Best Buy for work to 'fix' the hinges. They did not have anymore m6805s so the manager offered to replace it with a m6811 (I had to pay ~$200 US to make up the difference in price).

I have since added a 1 GB stick of ram (1.25 GB total) and replaced the drive with an 80 GB 7200 RPM one. With the exception of wanting more ram, it is still very speedy, responsive, and does everything that I want. It plays Star Wars KOTOR 2, all the Age of Empires (1, 2, 3, plus expansions), BF2, Warcraft 3, WoW, MoH series, CoD series, etc. just fine.

I want to buy a new laptop, but I just can't justify it yet when my m6811 is still doing such a good job. This is the most long-lived laptop that I have ever had... It's 3 years old and not nearly obsolete. I'm still on WinXP Pro because I don't want to deal with the hastle of Vista just yet (I didn't upgrade to XP until SP 1 came out either).

Anymore m68xx machines still being used?

I'm still using my M6810, but I need a replacement soon. I have the screen flicker as well as these strange lines that run vertically down the screen. They go away if I twist the screen, but i don't really think that is a good solution. Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar laptop in the M6810 price range? I need something that can do CAD, Finite Element, and games. Hopefully not too heavy. The laptop still works well though, although I think it needs more RAM (anyone know what kind I should get for it, I am looking for a 1GB or 2GB stick or something like that). Oh and the DC power plug failed recently and the store I took it to to repair it was a complete pile and installed the wrong one after I waited 2 weeks. They half assley soldered a new plug onto my power cord and electrical taped it. I guess these guys never heard of strain reliving or solder wicking.

Those were great laptops. I had a M5310, but I wished I had an M6800 series laptop.

I too owned a 6811 and trully loved it. I pretty much played WOW on it once it came out when i moved back to my parents for a few months why i waited for my apartment to be remodeled. Was fun times sitting on the couch with my headphones on playing away and ignoring my ex.... ahhh those were the days!!

i have and still use my m6809...want to get rid of it also and get a new one..=]

how much are you looking for it?? I have a buddy who needs a cheap laptop.

Back