I just made the jump...

I went ahead and dove into an iMac. It all started last summer when I went to visit a friend in Chicago, and used his mac book(I think the smaller one, the 13", of which theres nothing wrong...). Some of the things that it did made me start rethinking owning a mac. From there I have another friend who uses a Mac Mini and she absolutely loves it, so of course I had to try it out. Ive been eyeballing them for a while now and decided to just do it.

So I bought a used white 17" iMac with the 2GHz Core 2 Duo. I bought used only because I didnt want to buy a new one and then decide that it wasnt for me. So far its done everything I wanted to, and everything I did on my PC. Only thing I dont like is that there is no audio out.

No audio out? There's a headphone minijack on the back that does both analog and optical out.

Its got the headphone jack, yeah, but I guess Im just not used to thinking of that as the audio out as it were. But I do have to use a USB headset, ya?

I'd like to know why you don't think you can use headphones on the heaphone jack too.

Allow me to clear this up. I knew there was a headphone jack, I just dont think of a headphone jack as an audio out(you know, to hook speakers up to). And the question about the USB headset was in regards to using a mic.

I'm pretty sure the Core2 Duo models had a line in that you would be able to plug a regular mic into.

Headphone/Speaker/Audio Out is the same thing. Maybe you're thinking of Line Out. I have an HP computer at work that has a headphone label under the front port and a speaker label under the back port. They're both connected to the same pins on the motherboard.

The only difference between a headphone jack and a "line-out" is that there is usually some extra amplification added to headphone jacks (to drive headphones better).

Unless you're a hardcore audiophile (which would mean you'd want an external soundcard anyway) there should be no difference between the two.

Regarding headsets. Normal PC headsets have 2 3.5mm plugs. One goes into the headphone jack, one into the mic jack. I don't have a macbook, but a quick check on apple.com shows that at least the current generation machines have a built-in mic and a general line-in port.

Back