I just made 25 bucks in burst!

Yeah I switched to the btfg.space one. Wonder what's involved in setting one up.. there's enough of us getting into this here, we could set up an [H] pool!

Yeah I switched to the btfg.space one. Wonder what's involved in setting one up.. there's enough of us getting into this here, we could set up an [H] pool!

I've been thinking about that, it's not that hard to setup with a small vps wonder how much cloudflare or a similar service is... I'll look into it more

Looks like I'm making about 120 bursts a day over the past few days with 15TB. Have another 36TB showing up tomorrow. Woohoo!
You're getting hardcore now.lol

I was lucky last 2 days.
Got 187 yesterday and today 446 so far.
I'm very surprised at getting this much since the pool was stopped several times, hours some times.

Dual purpose the rigs. I stream vids on multiple VM's that average altogether between $1.50 - $5 per day depending on ads and how much data bandwidth I want to eat up. I have data limits, so have to watch how much I use. That way Burst can run on the spare HDD space and then videos can stream as well. Then on Android devices I run 7 with one app that is extremely passive and earns me around $50/month total. All of my devices also DC so it helps offset that hobby and lets me feel good about helping science. Buying HDD's for BURST doesn't seem like a good ROI IMO but could be wrong. I am only running it because I already have gear running and I have a lot of old HDD's that aren't really doing anything but are powered on regardless. I plan on plotting more of them sometime this weekend as I just got into BURST. We shall see how it goes.

I've been thinking about that, it's not that hard to setup with a small vps wonder how much cloudflare or a similar service is... I'll look into it more
We should make a hard ocp pool....

And I have made about 25-30 every 3 hours since I switched... To bfg, the stats page they have is more responsive but really sucks...

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on this. From what it seems, you need a fast rig to plot, but after that, any old computer can run the drives? Do you see any gain from CPU/RAM/GPU on the mining computer or is it ALL about space and drives?

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on this. From what it seems, you need a fast rig to plot, but after that, any old computer can run the drives? Do you see any gain from CPU/RAM/GPU on the mining computer or is it ALL about space and drives?

That is correct, HOWEVER in my experience you can't use a total poo of a computer to just host / mine with the drives.
This is because of several factors:
The "host machine" needs to run the AiO wallet (which is java based and kind of a resource hog).
The "host machine" needs to have enough supporting interfaces (lots of USB3, SATA6 or whatever your interface of choice is, and it can be a variety of those too).

A dualcore machine with 4GB of ram and integrated graphics would cut it just fine. I run GPU's in my burst rig's just because its more efficient to mine multiple coins from a single rig vs. separate rigs for each cryptocoin. Keep in mind you always run the fastest HDD interface possible because of the increased read times, this will have an affect on how profitable the drives are.

That is correct, HOWEVER in my experience you can't use a total poo of a computer to just host / mine with the drives.
This is because of several factors:
The "host machine" needs to run the AiO wallet (which is java based and kind of a resource hog).
The "host machine" needs to have enough supporting interfaces (lots of USB3, SATA6 or whatever your interface of choice is, and it can be a variety of those too).

A dualcore machine with 4GB of ram and integrated graphics would cut it just fine. I run GPU's in my burst rig's just because its more efficient to mine multiple coins from a single rig vs. separate rigs for each cryptocoin. Keep in mind you always run the fastest HDD interface possible because of the increased read times, this will have an affect on how profitable the drives are.

That was my next question, it seems lots of people running a mass of external USB drives, however after reading it seems read times would effect how much you made as it seems to be a time thing? Which made me wonder, how hard are the drives hit? Would an external keep them cool enough, or are they idle most of the time? How big of an effect does having 15 USB drives going into a single hub (seen a few like that online) have on performance of mining? If it's big does it make sense to have super fast but smaller drives (SSD) or slower HDD but larger? It seems most calculators are based on size, so I am assuming size is the far bigger factor here for ROI.

I have a G3220/8GB I was looking at using. Do these need to be whole drives or can you only use parts of the drive? I have a Plex server with an extra 16 something TB free right now, but it's all pooled drives.

That was my next question, it seems lots of people running a mass of external USB drives, however after reading it seems read times would effect how much you made as it seems to be a time thing? Which made me wonder, how hard are the drives hit? Would an external keep them cool enough, or are they idle most of the time? How big of an effect does having 15 USB drives going into a single hub (seen a few like that online) have on performance of mining? If it's big does it make sense to have super fast but smaller drives (SSD) or slower HDD but larger? It seems most calculators are based on size, so I am assuming size is the far bigger factor here for ROI.

I have a G3220/8GB I was looking at using. Do these need to be whole drives or can you only use parts of the drive? I have a Plex server with an extra 16 something TB free right now, but it's all pooled drives.

Those specs would be fine to host drives. I haven't experimented with hubs too much because I saw a MASSIVE decrease in read times when using a hub. Due to that problem I run PCIe expansion cards instead. Drive speed matters and most external drives run @ 5400rpm vs. 7200rpm internal, the read times of I get from USB3 is comparable to my internal SATA6 so those are my 2 go-to interfaces. I have 7 x 8TB external drives and they get pretty toasty but I do have air flow passing over them, they are often idle but go through a cycle of reads every block to search for the best deadline. For reference I was running a NON-powered Anker 4 port hub, maybe a powered hub would help..? I haven't tested anything beyond my crappy little hub.

I want to do some testing to see how much better SSD's are, I'm sure they are faster then HDD's but with the current cost/size ratio it's not worth it (lots of posts on this via burst forums).

Those specs would be fine to host drives. I haven't experimented with hubs too much because I saw a MASSIVE decrease in read times when using a hub. Due to that problem I run PCIe expansion cards instead. Drive speed matters and most external drives run @ 5400rpm vs. 7200rpm internal, the read times of I get from USB3 is comparable to my internal SATA6 so those are my 2 go-to interfaces. I have 7 x 8TB external drives and they get pretty toasty but I do have air flow passing over them, they are often idle but go through a cycle of reads every block to search for the best deadline. For reference I was running a NON-powered Anker 4 port hub, maybe a powered hub would help..? I haven't tested anything beyond my crappy little hub.

I want to do some testing to see how much better SSD's are, I'm sure they are faster then HDD's but with the current cost/size ratio it's not worth it (lots of posts on this via burst forums).

So extra speed is not worth it over the much larger size of HDD for ROI. External is about the same as internal, so long as you have full USB 3 speeds? Seems like external USB 3 + cheap computer with a few USB3 PCIe expansion cards is the best option. Limits money you need to spend on case size and USB3 cards are cheaper than SAS/SATA, also makes moving HDDs from plotting computer to mining rig much easier as well.

From what I have read some use SSD to plot then move them to smr cheap spinning drives they prefer pmr drives or SSD for plotting. Most initially used wplotgen and the optimizer to make plots then moved to gpuplotter and now xplotter or splotter (which is xplotter with 2 more lines of code to make it repeat)

As for hubs depends on the hub each hub has a control chip each control chip handles things differently. I know one guy online with a 100tb plot all USB drives uses those big multiport USB 3 hubs mining has made popular.

Now optimized vs not, is a huge difference I went from 46 seconds on a 4tb wd mybook to 12 seconds just from optimizing...

My optimization method is to either plot with xplotter or gpuplotter in direct mode rather than buffered. GPU I have pulled speeds of 14k n/min I theorize that is a limitation to my disk speeds...

As for ram and cpu all of that can affect read speeds but only to a limited degree I would say 4gb and quad core minimum for CPU mining. Most do cpu burst and eth GPU on the same machine. The biggest improvement hardware wise for me was going from USB 2 to 3. I also switched from a A10-7850k to a 845 X4 for the avx2 instruction set which was a 30% gain in read speeds did not see improvement in plotting speed

Last edited:
I am using an old E6700 with 6GB of ram to mine with seems to work ok.
I used the CPU plotter that comes with the AIO wallet to plot, I get 32K nonces/min with my dual Xeon.

One of my drives now has an error, :(

burst-wd-going-bad.jpg

We should make a hard ocp pool....

And I have made about 25-30 every 3 hours since I switched... To bfg, the stats page they have is more responsive but really sucks...

That Burst.BTFG pool has a horrible interface. I tried to switch over a few minutes ago....It is taking forever but I'm sure that is from Pool.burst.us being unstable. Might as well give BTFG a go for a few days. I'm all in on having an [H]pool

I was just going to sell off 20 old 3TB & 5TB hard drives. This thread has me re-thinking. What's the best cpu and gpu to go with them? I haven't been into mining in a couple years. Mining with hard drives, haha that's a new one. How much per month would 80TB and a top cpu and gpu get me? Does difficulty rapidly increase making this moot?

I was just going to sell off 20 old 3TB & 5TB hard drives. This thread has me re-thinking. What's the best cpu and gpu to go with them? I haven't been into mining in a couple years. Mining with hard drives, haha that's a new one. How much per month would 80TB and a top cpu and gpu get me? Does difficulty rapidly increase making this moot?

Probably be less than this as the calculators seem to over-estimate,
Burst Per Day 788 Burst
Burst Per Week 5514 Burst
Burst Per Month 23633 Burst = $ 436.72

http://burstcoin.biz/calculator

I made 713 burst in 11 days, most of those days were with 4TB, then 8TB, and now 12TB of plots.
All of it came from the pool.
http://burstcoin.biz/address/15974249486527080137

In 30 days I made over 3000 burst about 60 at this rate I should have the money I spent back in 5 months if this coin stays where it is and yes the difficulty has been climbing but does not affect the gradual gains only the spikes... Also you don't need top tier equipment just lots of storage space there are miners who worked it out and got a raspberry pi to mine with the USB loaded with drives... it just takes a while to read as the io is not great on that platform...

PS: I would say minimum to mine effectively anything that can play Skyrim at more than 15 fps and has load times measured in seconds rather than minutes... So older core 2 or and e series apu would work single core chips might work too if they are 64 bit. I have a hp netbook I started experimenting with it mined fine plotted ok and was running an atom processor.

There is a pool aimed at phones and miners less than 1tb in size. And of my devices my Moto x did rather quick plotting but I attribute that to the Samsung evo sd card more than the might of the SD 808... The burst wallet on my phone has a miner and plotter built into it it builds as many 1gb plots as you want on your phone then mines them... Thought about plugging my gs3 in and letting it go on a 32gb card but I ended up sticking that in an old disused USB hub and tossing it on the PC as well...

Last edited:
Woot, also made $25 (okay, $24.47 at current conversion) today! Forged a block this morning, 1388 Burst reward.

Sadly, shortly after, a storm came through and brownout killed plotting on 4 of my 6TB drives that I started last night :( The power adapters for those are now running off of a spare UPS I had laying around. Oops.

Also, my i5-4690k (@4.2) was reading an unoptimized 6TB plot file in 23-24 seconds. My Pentium G4400 (dual-core Skylake 3.3, with no AVX/AVX2) reads the same plot file in 35-36 seconds. Not sure if it is a raw speed thing or an AVX2 thing. The Pentiums don't get AVX/AVX2 instructions :(

Also, my i5-4690k (@4.2) was reading an unoptimized 6TB plot file in 23-24 seconds. My Pentium G4400 (dual-core Skylake 3.3, with no AVX/AVX2) reads the same plot file in 35-36 seconds. Not sure if it is a raw speed thing or an AVX2 thing. The Pentiums don't get AVX/AVX2 instructions

Interesting... reads as in for mining? not plotting? This changes things abit as far as "recommendations" for a mining vs. plotting rig... wonder if it has anything to do with optimized v unoptimized plots.

Interesting... reads as in for mining? not plotting? This changes things abit as far as "recommendations" for a mining vs. plotting rig... wonder if it has anything to do with optimized v unoptimized plots.

Mining. Used to be 23-24 seconds around 60MB/s on this machine. Now its 35-36 seconds at just under 40MB/s.

Same unoptimized plot file on the same external drive. Different machine, but they are both using Intel chipset USB 3.0 connectors, so that shouldn't have made a difference one bit. Both machines are running Windows 10.

I'm plotting 4 more 6TB external drives right now, this time optimized. I can run the same test between the machines in a few days.

Mining. Used to be 23-24 seconds around 60MB/s on this machine. Now its 35-36 seconds at just under 40MB/s.

Same unoptimized plot file on the same external drive. Different machine, but they are both using Intel chipset USB 3.0 connectors, so that shouldn't have made a difference one bit. Both machines are running Windows 10.

I'm plotting 4 more 6TB external drives right now, this time optimized. I can run the same test between the machines in a few days.
It is disk activity if your doing something on a shared bus everything on the bus slows same for if you're mining and plotting at the same time... Now as for optimization if you are plotting with the built in plotter those are optimized if you are using the GPU plotter and doing it in direct mode those are optimized.

Gpuplotter took 17 hours to direct plot my 4tb but when it was done 14 seconds is my read times adverage of my array 280mb/s

Probably be less than this as the calculators seem to over-estimate,
Burst Per Day 788 Burst
Burst Per Week 5514 Burst
Burst Per Month 23633 Burst = $ 436.72

http://burstcoin.biz/calculator

I made 713 burst in 11 days, most of those days were with 4TB, then 8TB, and now 12TB of plots.
All of it came from the pool.
http://burstcoin.biz/address/15974249486527080137
they try to account for luck and you winning a block it is closer to accurate with the bfg pool I am making 25-30 burst every 3 hours so 5 transactions a day that is about the 140 burst a day the calculator told me...

Last edited:
It is disk activity if your doing something on a shared bus everything on the bus slows same for if you're mining and plotting at the same time... Now as for optimization if you are plotting with the built in plotter those are optimized if you are using the GPU plotter and doing it in direct mode those are optimized.

Gpuplotter took 17 hours to direct plot my 4tb but when it was done 14 seconds is my read times adverage of my array 280mb/s

Re-reading my last post looks more like I'm complaining about a speed loss on my current machine; that's not what I meant by those two sentences.

On the i5-4690k @ 4.2 (AVX2) with 16GB of RAM on Windows 10, 6TB unoptimized plot file on external USB 3.0 drive was read in 23-24sec @ 60MB/s.
On the G4400 @ 3.3 (no AVX) with 8GB of RAM on Windows 10, the same exact file/drive is read in 35-36sec @ 39.xMB/s.

No issues of controller bandwidth contention or disk activity on either machine.

Have an idea for another test. I'll report back in a bit.

Easy way to see how much of an impact AVX and AVX2 instructions have on reading speed: testing the same AVX2-enabled processor with the 3 different miners available. Version 1.170603 was used for this.

i5-4690k machine currently has 3x 3TB drives with single 3TB optimized plots on them, all connected via SATA3. One of the drives is consistently faster than the other two, so that is the one end of my ranges below, and the two slower drives are the other side of the range.

No-AVX miner reads them in:
9-11 sec @ 63-75MB/s

AVX miner reads them in:
6.5-8 sec @ 89-107MB/s

AVX2 miner reads them in:
5-7 sec @ 102-135MB/s

Difference between the no-AVX miner and the AVX2 speeds looks to about match the results I saw moving the 6TB unoptimized drive from the AVX2 machine to the no-AVX machine. Doesn't look like clockspeed is the issue. Maybe once these 4x6TB drives finish plotting, I can clock the i5 down to 3.3 and see if there are any differences at that point. Looks like AVX2 instructions bring a pretty solid improvement to this.

do you have a GPU in either of those machines?
I am using the GPU miner with a 5770, reads are really fast among the 4 drives I have, 2x 2TB WD greens, 2x 7200rpm 4TB drives (black and toshiba). It shows upwards of 300MB/s and I am guessing that is combined reads as none of my drives can read that fast alone.
burst-read-gpu.jpg

They both do, but they both also GPU-mine.

Yeah, those are cumulative read speeds. Using the AVX2 miner, my read speeds across the 3 3TB drives for the last block was an average of 339MB/s.

This it the numbers on i5 4690K by USB3(4 x 4tb in an enclosure w/Blago's CPU miner(avx2).
Is it close to normal?

I found It is much slower, and the result is all over 20mb to 70mb/s with on Nuc i5.
The drives are 5400 seagate.

Attachments

• Blago's miner.PNG
    Blago's miner.PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 57
my rig is now reshelled holy shit was that an ordeal... i just wish my fans were here... and asrock needs to do better qc my south bridge had the protective tape that you are supposed to remove before heatsink install... i thought about cleaning the blue gel off and using arctic alumina but i figured the heatsink is not much of a heatsink it would not matter and the factory blue goo was better than the plastic film that was there before.

Last edited:
This it the numbers on i5 4690K by USB3(4 x 4tb in an enclosure w/Blago's CPU miner(avx2).
Is it close to normal?

I found It is much slower, and the result is all over 20mb to 70mb/s with on Nuc i5.
The drives are 5400 seagate.

When you say "4 x 4tb in an enclosure" do you mean one enclosure with all drives over one connection or four separate enclosures on separate cables?

Great thread guys. Lots of good advice, although some seems contradictory as far as hardware is concerned.
Anyone willing to provide a prioritized list of hardware? I am meaning the must have highest impact, to the nice if you have it but not essential.
I am completely lost on internal vs. external drives. People often seem to flip on this issue, often inside a single post lol!
GPU? What is fine, what is desired, and what is overkill? Cores, AVX2, RAM.........
Help please.

Great thread guys. Lots of good advice, although some seems contradictory as far as hardware is concerned.
Anyone willing to provide a prioritized list of hardware? I am meaning the must have highest impact, to the nice if you have it but not essential.
I am completely lost on internal vs. external drives. People often seem to flip on this issue, often inside a single post lol!
GPU? What is fine, what is desired, and what is overkill? Cores, AVX2, RAM.........
Help please.

Mining doesn't seem to require too much power, I am doing fine with an E6700 and HD5770 using the GPU miner. GPU miner seems to read the drives much faster than the CPU miner on my machine since the E6700 doesn't support AVX.
Plotting on the other hand requires as much power as you can supply, my dual xeon 16 core machine plots at 32K nonces/min and takes around 10 hours to plot using wplotgenerator in Asynchronous mode with 30 threads and 64GB of ram set for the program, and 16 hours with xplotter using the default settings in the AIO wallet, to plot a 4TB drive.
You can plot multiple drives at the same time with the GPU plotter from what I read, so if you have a decent card, you can do multiple drives, but I think they won't be optimized, so you have optimize them afterwards. that is what I gathered from the reading I have done so far.
I am still not sure what the actual "mining" is. To me it comes across as a scavenger hunt for finding the block they are looking for with the lowest deadline.

Mining doesn't seem to require too much power, I am doing fine with an E6700 and HD5770 using the GPU miner. GPU miner seems to read the drives much faster than the CPU miner on my machine since the E6700 doesn't support AVX.
Plotting on the other hand requires as much power as you can supply, my dual xeon 16 core machine plots at 32K nonces/min and takes around 10 hours to plot using wplotgenerator in Asynchronous mode with 30 threads and 64GB of ram set for the program, and 16 hours with xplotter using the default settings in the AIO wallet, to plot a 4TB drive.
You can plot multiple drives at the same time with the GPU plotter from what I read, so if you have a decent card, you can do multiple drives, but I think they won't be optimized, so you have optimize them afterwards. that is what I gathered from the reading I have done so far.
I am still not sure what the actual "mining" is. To me it comes across as a scavenger hunt for finding the block they are looking for with the lowest deadline.
Thanks Zepher for your input.
So the actual "mining" rig can be quite minimal as long as it has a GPU? And as minimal as an ancient 5770?
But plotting is best served by a beast of a PC? because it speeds up the initial or ongoing process? How much time is saved. Initially and ongoing? Or is a one time thing then you can switch PC's?
Sorry for all the ???? but that seems to be the nature of the game atm :)

Everyone is encouraged to chime in, as this thread has stated so many things, often contradictory. Let us hash it out. No pun intended.

Last edited:
Help please.
Ill try and ill split it up a bit into 2 categories mining and plotting.

For mining

min spec

-Any cpu made in the past 3 generations i suspect even single cores from the 939 and core 2 days would work.
-onboard gpu is acceptable.
personal recommendation for budget builds
-AMD Athlon x4 845
-minimum 4gb ram
-any gpu from the amd 7000 series r9 or rx series
the nvidia 10 series has decent perf but amd is better
Ideal recommendation
-Any intel haswell or newer with avx2 pick one with low wattage to save some money
-ram 8gb it does affect plotting and overall system perf but not mining
-gpu r9 any rx any or even those mining cards should be fine

For plotting
The ideal

-Multicore xeon e5 v3 or newer quad or greater
-any ryzen 5 or 7
-any ht enabled i7 or I-9 quad or greater core cpu
-any of ram theory is for plotting if you have enough ram to plot the whole file it will go in one go and be optimized.
-gpu while your main monitor is on onboard GPU multiple rx580 with 8gb or more ram.

Drives:
Ideal
10tb pmr drives wd reds or Seagate equivalent
Budget
Whatever gives you the best TB/$ I found refurb hgst Enterprise 3tb for 55-65 for around 20$/TB another good one is 4tb external for 79-120 and 8tb for 179 again external.

Explanation:
For mining very little is actually needed as all it does is reads the file lightly an optimized plot should not stress very weak anything but for larger plot pools you may want a few more cores as read speed is very important as the first to deliver the lowest deadline gets the prize.
They have dropped 32bit processes from the mining as they were too slow and did not work well. A GPU might be highly useful to mine on I am told it works much faster than CPU mining but only is recommended for larger plots anything under 50tb will not stress anything.

For plotting ram and method matter the bigger faster and more cores you throw at this the faster the drive will be filled furthermore write speed seak and read speed all matter write speed limits the plotting speed.
A GPU can be used for both mining and plotting for plotting they can be very fast and write to multiple drives in parallel this is how you get the reports of a 280x doing 90k nounces per min this is one of few reasons to have a GPU in the box...

Some have the CPU mining burst and the gpus mining eth or another coin all in the same box.

So the actual "mining" rig can be quite minimal as long as it has a GPU? And as minimal as an ancient 5770?
But plotting is best served by a beast of a PC? because it speeds up the initial or ongoing process? How much time is saved. Initially and ongoing? Or is a one time thing then you can switch PC's?

Everyone is encouraged to chime in, as this thread has stated so many things, often contradictory. Let us hash it out. No pun intended.
Plotting is ideally a 1 time thing and once plotted can be moved to mining machine as for how much time can be saved weeks... Not joking... A slow PC trying to plot a 4-8tb file can take a week or longer... Imagine plotting a petabyte the wrong machine would take months to plot that much.
To plot a 4tb wd my book 3.0
Unoptimized GPU 8 hours
Optimizer took 8 hours to optimize it
GPU in direct mode to make an optimized plot took 17 hours
To plot my 3tb hgst Enterprise internal
GPU took 8 hours
My laptop
1tb USB 2.0 GPU took 5 hours

I have not run tests now that I have tripled my ram but supposedly it will help... I hope to never need to replot any of those drives...

I'll sum up what I know about drive choices too
Faster seek times are best 7200rpm drives recommend
Write techniques smr vs pmr pmr is faster and better but you should not go for pmr over smr for the speed gains are not worth the $/TB.
SSD vs big plots the gains are not enough to offset the $/TB of spinning disc.
External USB are fine there are lots who have 100+TB array of USB drives

Last edited:

you don't need a GPU in the mining rig, I just happened to have one and it reads my plots faster than my old CPU. I get reads of almost 400MB/s with the GPU and up to 150MB/s with the CPU, since my CPU is so slow and doesn't have AVX or AVX2 support.

1. How fast can the high end gpus direct plot an individual hdd? (like a 1080ti)

2. For mining, especially many TB like 50-100+TB.. how fast is reading for a new cpu with AVX2 vs a new high end gpu?

3. How does how much RAM you have and its speed affect plotting?

1. How fast can the high end gpus direct plot an individual hdd? (like a 1080ti)

2. For mining, especially many TB like 50-100+TB.. how fast is reading for a new cpu with AVX2 vs a new high end gpu?

3. How does how much RAM you have and its speed affect plotting?
Well, I don't the numbers since I only used CPU for plotting and mining.
However, GPU is faster than any CPU with AVX2 for plotting and mining.
I don't think you need ram more than 16g max, unless you mine, plot and use the computer same time.

You don't need a top of line GPU.
Remember GPU makes a big difference in plotting, but plotting is just a prep process.
It is good to use if you have one already, but don't spend too much on hardware except drives.
It is already much tougher to mine, and it envollves a lot of luck to find a block.
Top of the line hardware just have better odds and better result over the long haul.

Back