I just lost respect for Tuniq....

luihed

Limp Gawd
My buddy was lapping his Tuniq and guess what.......

tuniq.JPG

I think he is talking about the right side, where it dips in a whole lot

The shinier part was touching the sandpaper while the darker spot was not....... it means the base wasnt flat... not even close

I just installed a Tuniq in my new build today, and I was surprised how well the base looked. You could tell it was machined, but it was pretty smooth.

or maybe your buddy's hand wasn't flat. . . . .

lol it wasnt..... but the mirror he was using sure was...... :D

I talked to him tonight ( been 3 days since pic) and he said his idle temp went down 4c and 8c lower in Orthos:eek: .... Thats what he said and maybe a lil exagerated, but that base was pretty bad....

I didnt start this thread to bash Tuniq cos I still think its one of the best, I just want to alert peeps cos it looked perfectly flat before but its obviously not......

User Error.. I'm sure machined copper is so much more likely to be uneven versus your friends hand..

User Error.. I'm sure machined copper is so much more likely to be uneven versus your friends hand..

i dont think people are understanding this. you dont lap a block by sanding it by hand with a piece of sandpaper. you put the sandpaper on something perfectly flat, like a mirror or plate of glass, and then run the block over the top of it so it is as flat as what your sanding it on. and obviously that machined copper is much more uneven then plate glass.

Why would people even try to lap a block by hand, you always use a mirror or some glass to be perfectly flat. The block was definatly not flat, that looks pretty bad really, top left side had a huge dip it looks like.

It doesn't make a bit of difference if you lap on a piece of glass if you apply more pressure on one side while moving the heatsink around. I've seen lots of people make the mistake.

Ihe said his idle temp went down 4c and 8c lower in Orthos:eek: .... Thats what he said and maybe a lil exagerated,.....

Maybe, maybe not. After doing that to my Tuniq (as well as the conroe IHS which was really bad), I went down 10C orthos load using TAT. Having both the Tuniq and IHS conspiring to lift the cooler off the center of the IHS=bad. Here's some photos of mine...you can see the outline of the IHS on the Tuniq base to see how that would be not working so well.

heatsink4.jpg

heatsink5.jpg

It doesn't make a bit of difference if you lap on a piece of glass if you apply more pressure on one side while moving the heatsink around. I've seen lots of people make the mistake.
Look at the picture I was thinking the same thing

A material need to bend a little for that to happen.... on a piece of copper this thick, I doubt my buddy is that strong..... maybe superman....

A material need to bend a little for that to happen.... on a piece of copper this thick, I doubt my buddy is that strong..... maybe superman....

LOL, well tell him to keep on lappin' Shouldn't take too long to get the thing flat... gonna give his arm a workout for sure.

wax on... wax off...

Thermalright FTW!!!

Hell yes! Ha ha! Thermalright is my favorite! They come practically lapped!

I don't think one problem like that is reason to lose respect for a reputable company. Even if the HS is flawed and not lapper error, you have to remember every company has products that don't come off the line perfect.

Tuniq is a good company and people haven't gotten amazing results from them.

Back