I just jumped off the cliff.....

XvMMvX

[H]ard|Gawd
Many of you have seen my threads disscussing which video card to get for my new i5 build....I struggled with this decision

I had decided that I would go with a 5770 because I had a PS3 and didn't game very much on PC anymore (not to mention the fact that my PC was 5 years old).....

Well today at lunch i had to run down to Microcenter to pick up a part for the PC....and they had a HIS 5870 in stock for 459.99, asked the guy to double check the price and it was wrong....the price was really 399.99. Well I was thinking it over as I usually do and was about to walk out without it....then I saw a PC setup with SLI 275's with Crysis Warhead setup, before I knew it I had played a good 20 minutes. Playing that game on a rig that ran it properly made me remember why i was into PC gaming back in the day....and why all of you keep doing it. The graphic quality and sound totally immersed me in the game, when a game is optimized for the power that a PC can bring and done correctly it can change the game experience....and I had forgotten that.

Needless to say, I walked out with the 5870....Im Back!

P.S. Not that any of you really care, but I wanted to share.

P.S.S. If any of you live and houston and are trying to get a 5870 they still have two Diamond 5870s in stock at Mircrocenter, but they are over priced at 459.99.

If you overclock that i5 you should have no problem putting that baby (5870) to work. Even though the i5 is a "mainstream" chip, when OC'ed to anywhere near 4.0GHz, it's a beast. In that regard, the 5870 is a much better match than the 5770.

Congrats.

I jumped off right after you. Got an instock notice for the xfx 5870 from the egg today @2:25 and had it bought at 2:27. No to time to think as it was oos by 2:30. My 8800gtx has served me well but it's showing its age.

HAHA.. they got you with that gaming rig display huh? I am in Houston also. I had picked up my 2nd 5870 XFX at Fry's not to long ago. Seemed that microcenter was late to get their order. You got a good card that will smoke the 5770.

P.S. What part of H-town are you from?

If you overclock that i5 you should have no problem putting that baby (5870) to work. Even though the i5 is a "mainstream" chip, when OC'ed to anywhere near 4.0GHz, it's a beast. In that regard, the 5870 is a much better match than the 5770.

Looking forward to it, the original build was an i7 but I fell into the combo deal at frys (i5 750 and Giga-UD3R) for 200$, just to good a deal to pass up.

My 8800gtx has served me well but it's showing its age.

I wish I had an 8800gtx...LOL, how about coming from Athlon 64 3500+ with a (AGP) 7800GS video card....played some games on my lappy with a 9800gts but gaming on a lappy does not work well in general, but its good for on the go.

HAHA.. they got you with that gaming rig display huh? I am in Houston also. I had picked up my 2nd 5870 XFX at Fry's not to long ago. Seemed that microcenter was late to get their order. You got a good card that will smoke the 5770.

P.S. What part of H-town are you from?

I don't understand why that is funny...that gaming rig was more powerful and anything I had laid my hands on, and yes I know it wasn't that great.

P.S. I live in pearland and work in downtown.

It's just funny because they put those rigs out there to show people exactly what they're missing without the high end parts. And it did just that for you. Glad you're back PC gaming with the rest of us.;)

I wish I had an 8800gtx...LOL, how about coming from Athlon 64 3500+ with a (AGP) 7800GS video card....played some games on my lappy with a 9800gts but gaming on a lappy does not work well in general, but its good for on the go.

Ouch.. I was rocking a skt 939 4200x2, the 8800 gtx and an ide hd that was from 03 till the first of this month when the mb popped a few caps and kept locking up. Built myself an i7 860 rig with sata everything and was wowed by how much the cpu unlocked my gpu...till I installed Arma2.

I came from a Athlon 64 3000+ with AGP 7600GT to i7 and a 4670. The 4670 is a placeholder until there is something I want, eitherway it is night and day performance above the 7600 and the 3000+, obviously :D

Looking forward to it, the original build was an i7 but I fell into the combo deal at frys (i5 750 and Giga-UD3R) for 200$, just to good a deal to pass up.

Man, exact same story. I've been putting money aside for an i7 build, but that deal at frys was too good. They originally gave me the wrong motherboard (1136 socket gigabyte, whoops). When I went back in I happened to wander into the video card department as a guy was pulling a lone XFX5870 out of a box and putting it on the shelf. I told him "don't bother, just hand it over" :p

I don't understand why that is funny...that gaming rig was more powerful and anything I had laid my hands on, and yes I know it wasn't that great.

P.S. I live in pearland and work in downtown.

Holy shit, Pearland! I used to live off of Pearland Parkway in Banburry Cross. Was this the Microcenter off near Dixie Farm (that shop might be called something else though). I haven't been to that place since they tried to get me to let them order a cooler a few years back for my old 9600XT at ~50 dollars. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I walked out with the 5870....Im Back!

P.S. Not that any of you really care, but I wanted to share.

We DO care. Almost brought a tear to my eyes.

Kidding aside that is awsome man...

I find it amusing that a lot of people complain about Crysis. Well, I play it with my GTX280SLI rig, and thought it was the most amazing game ever. The beauty of it was insane.

Now that I bought a 5870, I am definately going to play with it all over again.

Welcome back and into the 5000 club.

haha thats why i love pc gaming over consoles anyday. The price for the performance of the computer makes gaming such a better experience. Welcome to the 5870 club :)

Well I flashed my 5850 to a 5870 bios, so I think I should be welcomed in the 5870 club as well :p...

Congrats to the OP, that is an awesome card. I like the 5770CF benches, but nothing beats a really powerful single gpu vid card.

Thanks for sharing, really made me wish I can afford a new system right now :p

I'm still holding up with my 9800GTX, and even then, the experience I get from playing Crysis (again) was amazing. Once you've played games with such level of graphics, you can never go back to having mediocre graphics.

Its just unfortunate that with most games today are developed for multi platform, there's so much raw performance in today's hardware that can be used to enhance the gameplay experience

I'm back baby!!!, ooh wait i never left...

You will love the card if you don't plan on playing aion..., who am i kidding i still love the card it looks pretty sexy tbh and the heat in my room has gone down soo much since Crossfire-X 4890.

Well I flashed my 5850 to a 5870 bios, so I think I should be welcomed in the 5870 club as well :p...

Congrats to the OP, that is an awesome card. I like the 5770CF benches, but nothing beats a really powerful single gpu vid card.

You dont have 1600 SP so no.. your not welcome! :)

LOL I had just the opposite - I was in MC yesterday in Mayfield Heights - one of the associates that knows me told me they had 5870's in stock for 399, I almost bit, then i thought - I have sli 260 gtx and a monitor that does 1920x1080 - ..if I spend 400 bucks will it be any different? lol. Nope so I bought an Intel 8300 to build my mom a new pc out of my spare parts <.<.

LOL I had just the opposite - I was in MC yesterday in Mayfield Heights - one of the associates that knows me told me they had 5870's in stock for 399, I almost bit, then i thought - I have sli 260 gtx and a monitor that does 1920x1080 - ..if I spend 400 bucks will it be any different? lol. Nope so I bought an Intel 8300 to build my mom a new pc out of my spare parts <.<.

Yeah, at that resolution with your current setup I dont think you would notice much of a speed increase. Your a good guy to do that for your moms!

WB. The 5870 is an awesome card. And it overclocks something fierce. :D
Say hello to max settings, max AA to everything.
Love the eye candy with this card!

Back