I just found out pascal supports 4k netflix streaming through the windows app and edge

tybert7

2[H]4U
I am going to test this later on tonight when I get home, but before that, does anyone know whether HDR works as well, or is it just 4k?

And beyond being able to play 4k content, is there a quality difference between the pascal decoding through the app on a pc compared to the internal decoding on tv sets through their apps?

Anyone tested this?

I believe HDR is not supported since NVIDIA currently only does 10-bit color in full screen DX11 programs and applications. It's possible that may change when G-Sync HDR monitors hit the streets.

Can't answer the second question as I don't have Netflix anymore.

There was a thread about this in news with it was discovered about a month ago or so. I've got a Netflix app on my TV but have never used it. The 4k streams look pretty good through the Windows app but I've not compared it with the native TV app.

I tested it last night, and it did not seem to be streaming 4k unless the data was wrong that I was seeing.

If you press

ctrl+shift+alt+s you can manually set the bitrate, and there was nothing higher than the 3k level for most series, interestingly the shanarrah chronicles had an option for the 6k level in terms of bitrate, I assume that corresponds to 3mbps or 6mbps.

ctrl+shift+alt+d gives an overlay of the resolution shown, and it listed 1080p. Not sure if this is supposed to detect the pascal hardware automatically or if you have to set something manually. Also, when I went to look at the info sheet for shows, there was no 4k designation either through the browser on edge, or the netflix windows app.

So something is not right. I am not on the release driver when this was silently launched, I wonder if something broke in newer drivers? This is why I'm curious now if ANYONE else has a tv hooked up as their monitor for pc and has an nvidia card to test this. Netflix is pretty common, and using a 4k tv as a display can't be THAT uncommon can it be?

All monitors connected must support HDCP 2.2 and SLI has to be off.

I swear I clicked this going what the hell does the Pascal (programming language) have to do with Netflix and 4k. LOL...

Back