I just don't see how Diablo III is going to be fun?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
My buddy is super hyped up about Diablo III coming out on the 15th. I've never been into RPG games. The only two RPG's I think that I have ever played was ZELDA 64 and FFVII pn PS1. I figured I may give Diablo III a shot since we could co-op and I really don't have any friends that are PC Gamers since they all play on PS3/360:rolleyes:

Anyways I go to Diablo III's website and start checking out the different classes that you can be and the game looks pretty action packed which I like. I'd pick either the wizard, barbarian, or demon hunter...not sure. So I then go to youtube and watch a video of someone playing the first 20min of the beta and man did it ever look boring. Literally all you do is run around and point and click on enemies to attack. It really looks like there isn't ANY thought or skill involved....just point, click, and watch over and over. Finding and customizing the armor seemed pretty cool, but not sure how long that would be fun. Is that really all you do in this game besides listen to the story? I figured you'd be a little more in control of the action rather then just placing a pointer arrow everywhere.

Game is alot different later. Yes the first levels blow. Anyone who has played d1 or d2 knows this.

Also Zelda isnt an RPG :p

The beta didn't even give us a half-decent taste. I don't know what to think personally. What I do know is that there is NO way day 1 is NOT going to be a clusterfuck. Thus, I'm going to wait and see how it plays out before I decide whether to buy or not.

I was a huge D2 fan.. I will say if its like D2 at all early on there is a lot of grind..

The beta didn't even give us a half-decent taste. I don't know what to think personally. What I do know is that there is NO way day 1 is NOT going to be a clusterfuck. Thus, I'm going to wait and see how it plays out before I decide whether to buy or not.

You mean clusterfuck as in servers down? logins not working ?

We will see -- I'm hoping for good clean quick awesome fun.

Diablo 2 was the ONLY game I was able to enjoy over summer breaks when I was home from college and getting stuck on a 28.8 dial up modem. I'm very excited for Tuesday :)

There was a question on reddit's truegaming subreddit that asked, "What's so great about Diablo?" I quoted the highest ranked answers and I agree with them. You can view the actual thread to get some more opinions and reinforcements of said opinions if you'd like. :)

Diablo is a loot game through and through. That is to say, it's a Skinner box: When the player pushes a button he gets a reward. Sometimes it's a large reward, sometimes it's a small one, and sometimes he doesn't get a one at all, which makes him work even harder.

1. Great-feeling combat. I just really enjoy action-gamey fighting. D3 isn't revolutionary in this department by any means, but I liked what I felt in the beta. I was surprised how much it seemed to be informed by torchlight (longer recovery times, bigger click-boxes on mob), which I also played the crap out of.
2. MMO-like persistence. This is the same thing that keeps me playing minecraft, or dungeon defenders, or even cod. You're constantly "building a castle" - everything you do contributes to your pile of stuff, whether it be perks or stats or stacks of iron. I'd say if you don't know this feel, you need to play a video game developed in the last 6 years.
3. Addictive slot machine bullshit. Yeah, I love it. I've frittered away hundreds of hours grinding in metroidvanias for drops (yes, even harmony of dissonance). I spent a better part of my 2nd year of university as a d2 zombie. I even played that shitty korean mmo vindictus. What can I say? I guess I'm just glad I never got into any serious gambling.

Game is alot different later. Yes the first levels blow. Anyone who has played d1 or d2 knows this.
I disagree, the first few levels are a blast even to me, and the beginning gives a good impression of later on as well, just with a few more spells mixed in. You'll still be slaying hordes of enemies and clicking a bunch. It's just a genre you are either accustomed to or just have to try out to see why it's so appealing.

I got into the D3 beta months ago and asked my wife if she'd like to try it. She stated the camera angle was super awkward and just didn't look that fun. She finally tried it out recently and has pre-ordered it along side me.

If you aren't sure whether or not you want to just dive in on a $60 game, try out Titan Quest, or Torchlight to get an idea of what to expect. Keep in mind multiplayer is a lot more fun than playing by yourself, IMO.

I would argue that Legend of Zelda is an action RPG. Just sayin.

I just wanted to comment on how stupid this thread is. There is a Diablo 3 thread which you can voice your opinion on, but we don't care about your opinion seeing as how you stated you don't even like the genre. This forum would be full of crap if everyone decided to start a thread stating they don't like something for no good reason.

I just wanted to comment on how stupid this thread is. There is a Diablo 3 thread which you can voice your opinion on, but we don't care about your opinion seeing as how you stated you don't even like the genre. This forum would be full of crap if everyone decided to start a thread stating they don't like something for no good reason.

I think he's asking what's the hype with the Diablo series in general. I don't think he's badmouthing Diablo 3, calm down. He just doesn't see why it's so popular as it looks boring to him, and is a reasonable thing to ask.

I think he's asking what's the hype with the Diablo series in general. I don't think he's badmouthing Diablo 3, calm down. He just doesn't see why it's so popular as it looks boring to him, and is a reasonable thing to ask.

Calm down? I'm not upset. My comment was unnecessary, but so was this thread. :)

This is a funny time in gaming history. Those who haven't got a clue about the Diablo series meet those who do, and say to them "wtf? how is this game fun?", they have no idea how many mephisto runs we did, and how much we strived to get the greatest, most versatile helm ever: Shako.

This is a funny time in gaming history. Those who haven't got a clue about the Diablo series meet those who do, and say to them "wtf? how is this game fun?", they have no idea how many mephisto runs we did, and how much we strived to get the greatest, most versatile helm ever: Shako.

yuo give soj? kekekeke

This exactly. I'm actually interested in buying the game. The trailers look great, the classes look cool, but the beta gameplay video really kinda killed it for me. It's been a long time since I've spend $50 on a game and I want to know what all the hype is about first. I never played Diablo or Diablo 2. It just seems like ur not in control of the action much...just point, click, and watch

if you loved d2 for pve get d3
if you loved it for pvp d3 isn't game for you

Heh, yup. I've been meeting people at work who are interested in Diablo 3 but haven't played any Diablo-series games. I tell them it's a lot like Torchlight or Titan Quest and they stare at me with blank expressions. I feel so lucky having played Diablo and clones.

This exactly. I'm actually interested in buying the game. The trailers look great, the classes look cool, but the beta gameplay video really kinda killed it for me. It's been a long time since I've spend $50 on a game and I want to know what all the hype is about first. I never played Diablo or Diablo 2. It just seems like ur not in control of the action much...just point, click, and watch
You are very much in control of the action and it gets intense at times, it's definitely not boring combat. Like I mentioned previously, you could try out Torchlight or Titan Quest for under $15 each on Steam, or wait and ask your buddy to try it out. You'll probably be hooked within the first hour. :)

if you loved d2 for pve get d3
if you loved it for pvp d3 isn't game for you

The only RPGs he's played are "ZELDA 64 and FFVII pn PS1" as he noted in the original post. Needless to say, he hasn't played Diablo 2.

The starter edition will be out in ~30 days and you can play what was available in beta to see if you are interested. Unless you can get a guest pass from someone buying a boxed copy.

People shouldn't assume things till they try them. And if 60$ is to much to try something you're iffy about.. Well then don't get it :p

It really looks like there isn't ANY thought or skill involved....just point, click, and watch over and over. Finding and customizing the armor seemed pretty cool, but not sure how long that would be fun. Is that really all you do in this game besides listen to the story? I figured you'd be a little more in control of the action rather then just placing a pointer arrow everywhere.

I know, right? Seems all games these days are just clicking mouse buttons and pressing keys on the keyboard.

People shouldn't assume things till they try them. And if 60$ is to much to try something you're iffy about.. Well then don't get it :p

Really? :rolleyes:

It was a simple fucking question. The game looked boring to him and he wanted to know more about it. He then decided to ask us about it because he was interested in it. It's human nature to assume things without trying them. Have you been to a movie theatre and saw previews for a movie and said "that looks stupid"? Same thing. Then your friends see it and tell you how awesome the movie was. You then decide or not if you want to see it.

The amount of shitty posts in this thread is staggering.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion to this game, but fuck... does everyone need to start a thread about it? If it's not for you stfu. If you're a raging D3 lunatic...stfu. Buy it or don't. Play it or not. These threads are just filled with non constructive opinions. Forums are to inform/help, but when it comes to personal preference, no one knows your personality better then you. If your on the fence about it, please DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Save everyone from the inevitable thread saying you're unhappy with your purchase.

Look at all these D3 fanboys get all up in arms when someone says their game looks boring.

On the basis all of the following are subjective, here is what is going to make Diablo fun for me:

The Lore - The Diablo universe has a rich back story and it's going to be wonderful seeing how far they take it with the new game. Diablo 2 had some great story elements told through the cinematics and I can tell they are going to really expand on that with the new title. The technical brilliance of the cinematics is worth the price of admission alone IMO.

The Loot - Really, who does this better than the Diablo series? It's going to be massive, it's going to be addictive and it is going to be rewarding. Arguably, this is the star of the show and no doubt it is going to be fantastic in D3.

The Gameplay - I feel the new skillsets have a lot to offer and really give excellent opportunity to mix your play style up. Not an easy feat for what is considered to simply be a "clickfest". The pacing and action have obviously been kicked up a few notches also. I feel Blizzard have come up with a nice balance of skills to offset the inherent repetitive nature of the genre. There is most definitely a strategic element to the game, it's not just a matter of click-kill-click-kill.

Re-playability - 5 Classes, Random dungeons, Random spawning events.. It's the kind of game that just keeps on giving and you're bound to find new things you haven't seen in previous playthroughs.

Multiplayer - I actually didn't play MP in Diablo 2 that much and admittedly was more of a casual player. I actually foresee myself getting much more involved with online play with D3. Questing with a team is always fun and the added rewards and difficulty really give you incentive to do so.

So, those are a few things that are going to make D3 "fun" for me.. I'm sure I will discover plenty more as I play in just a couple more days :D

Last edited:
I hate watching other people play games. Thats why "competitive gaming" to me isn't really a spectator sport. Boring as hell to sit there watching someone else do crap I could just close the window and do (plus those "let's play" things annoy me because everyone is godamned terrible at everything or take years to do basic things).

But playing is totally different. So you know. It's like taking a classroom based tank driving course vs driving a tank.

So I then go to youtube and watch a video of someone playing the first 20min of the beta and man did it ever look boring. Literally all you do is run around and point and click on enemies to attack. It really looks like there isn't ANY thought or skill involved....just point, click, and watch over and over.

Well at first it can look like that. I had severe reservations with this game and never played the prior because of this attitude. However you need to consider two things:

• Co-op with friends playing a different class. Combinations; game play and strategy wise increases exponentially.
  • Don't judge this game from lvl 13 beta game play footage. The complexity later on will explode. Blizzards devs call Normal a tutorial.

...there will be lots of clicking, it's a mouse thing. More importantly there will be long term and short term (on the fly insta') critical decisions to be made, that far exceeds the point on enemy to attack paradigm.

Diablo 3 hype is because of a lot of old gamers that played the ton of Diablo 2 and are nostalgic to the point that they are fiending for Diablo 3 to be released

You mean clusterfuck as in servers down? logins not working ?

We will see -- I'm hoping for good clean quick awesome fun.

Diablo 2 was the ONLY game I was able to enjoy over summer breaks when I was home from college and getting stuck on a 28.8 dial up modem. I'm very excited for Tuesday :)

I'm just very uneasy about a release this huge relying on access to Blizzard's servers. It's going to be like an MMO launch and we all know how those turn out.

The problem is that it's hard to explain why Diablo games are addictive.

I actually had the same thought process with Diablo 2. I played the demo (it had den of evil + blood raven and only one class - Barbarian). Basically, it had the first ~30 minutes of the game and I played that thing over and over for hours. Then I bought the game.

Bottom line: I wouldn't judge by youtube videos. Just try it out with the starter edition if you don't want to plunk down $60 right now. No one's going to miss you and you're not going to miss it on release day if you're not already antsy about it.

I'm just very uneasy about a release this huge relying on access to Blizzard's servers. It's going to be like an MMO launch and we all know how those turn out.

Aside from server queues, the last few major MMO releases have been perfectly fine. SWTOR, Rift and Cataclysm did not have any major issues, and the server queues were generally restricted to a select few servers.

Starcraft 2's release was perfectly fine, and it has the closest infrastructure (B.net 2.0) to what Diablo 3 will have.

This video may explain it:

http://youtu.be/geuAc8F7Gt0

If not, well, it's just about having fun hacking and slashing your way through undead, demons and other nasties with your buds.

To me, the best gaming experience is a co-op experience and Diablo will be a fantastic co-op experience.

It does look boring. Tried the beta and wasn't terribly impressed.

I do like co-op, though. Playing a mediocre game like Diablo 3 will still be fun with my friends. Wish they'd picked a cheaper game for us all to play, though!

Lots of stupid comments here - I'll try to post a helpful response to the original question.

For myself, and I believe many others, the Diablos are a fun casual game that you can pick up for any amount of time, regardless of your mood. Let me explain that a little more: you ever had a really stressful or tiring day and try to come home and "relax" with a competitive game? FPS, RTS, even some long and drawn out RPGs? It doesn't work right? You don't relax, you suck, it creates even more stress, and what's the point?

Diablo isn't like that. It's simplicity by design. It's certainly most like an RPG, but without the complications and the super long storyline. It literally is a click fest - and that's what people like myself like about it. You fire it up, you bash some monsters, "oh goody - new loot!" Simple enjoyment, nothing more. It's either your thing, or it's not. But a lot of people have found a spot in their gaming libraries for just this type of game. It's also pretty fun to play with friends - leads to a lot of random BS on vent because noone is 100% consumed with focusing on the action. The nerds version of watching a football game on Sunday with some buds and drinking a few beers? :p

The suggestions of trying torchlight or titan quest are good - but take those with a grain of salt. While exactly the same in many regards - none have ever captured the "fun factor" like the diablo series has (at least for me). Those games all got boring for me - usually fairly quickly, and for the exact reasons you originally questioned - "what's the point, it's just click click click" But somehow, some way, it took a VERY long time before I got bored with Diablo and Diablo 2. So... who knows. You're just gonna have to try it out and see for yourself if it's your thing. Maybe you just hang onto your 60 bucks, and try it out for a few hours at a friends house before you jump in?

Why is this thread open? How many Diablo 3 discussions do we need? It's not like there is a dearth of information on this game at this point. Watch some videos, read about it, and go to blizzard's website.

Why is this thread open? How many Diablo 3 discussions do we need? It's not like there is a dearth of information on this game at this point. Watch some videos, read about it, and go to blizzard's website.

Because we're having a discussion about it. Think of this thread not necessarily about Diablo 3, but about the Diablo series and clones like it, and what about them brings us joy.

So Decko87, what makes you enjoy the Diablo series? It looks too simple to the uninformed player, so what's the magic?
(hint hint nudge nudge, I'm helping you turn your shit post into something constructive)

It was a simple fucking question. The game looked boring to him and he wanted to know more about it. He then decided to ask us about it because he was interested in it. It's human nature to assume things without trying them. Have you been to a movie theatre and saw previews for a movie and said "that looks stupid"? Same thing. Then your friends see it and tell you how awesome the movie was. You then decide or not if you want to see it.

A simple question that has been answered more then enough times. Thank you for being an enabler.

There is more than enough game-play footage to get an idea if the game is right for the individual. Even if that still keeps someone from dropping $60 for this game, how about waiting a few weeks to get official reviews?

I hope you find how ironic this part of your post is.

Because yours was better? :rolleyes: You're just another webjockey with an opinion. You should keep it in line before criticizing others. Realize yours is no better than mine in the eyes of the behonder.

My buddy is super hyped up about Diablo III coming out on the 15th. I've never been into RPG games. The only two RPG's I think that I have ever played was ZELDA 64 and FFVII pn PS1. I figured I may give Diablo III a shot since we could co-op and I really don't have any friends that are PC Gamers since they all play on PS3/360:rolleyes:

Anyways I go to Diablo III's website and start checking out the different classes that you can be and the game looks pretty action packed which I like. I'd pick either the wizard, barbarian, or demon hunter...not sure. So I then go to youtube and watch a video of someone playing the first 20min of the beta and man did it ever look boring. Literally all you do is run around and point and click on enemies to attack. It really looks like there isn't ANY thought or skill involved....just point, click, and watch over and over. Finding and customizing the armor seemed pretty cool, but not sure how long that would be fun. Is that really all you do in this game besides listen to the story? I figured you'd be a little more in control of the action rather then just placing a pointer arrow everywhere.

Not sure if you are trolling but watching ANY GAME on youtube while somebody else plays is boring especially if you have nerdy neckbeard commentary from Yogcast. Do yourself a favor and find a friend who bought the game and play a character to at least level 13 or so then complain.

Yup and you added another shitty post and here is mine.

I never listen to reviews nor do I take anyone's opinion into consideration for my purchase of a product. I decide if I like a game or movie after I play it or watch it. There is no better reviewer for yourself.. then yourself.

and I expressed my opinion on d3 already. If you read all the post instead of cherry picking. He can take it or leave it.

Also its human nature to be curious about things. It's not human nature for people to make up your mind for you.

Back