I Just Broke my Radeon 9700 :( I think

PiNPOiNT

n00b
I was attempting to upgrade the heatsink on my radeon 9700 and everything was going super well, got the old one off, took off the shim and was scraping the old crappy thermal grease off the chip, when my exacto knife slipped, and knocked off one of those little tiny resistor looking things that are sparatically placed around the core of the GPU. My heart just sank, i just killed my card i thought. However, currently im typing this msg on my computer with the card back in and everything is working (so far), Does anyone know what those little resistors are for? Obviously they were added for a point, perhaps they are temperature monitor points? and missing one wont really matter? Im going to do some more testing to see if the card will still run all my games etc. but any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Sorry no help here but that must have scared the living hell out of you. Lol...good luck. Kind of reminds me of when I was removing my heatsink on my Cpu(brand new computer in my sig) and the screw driver slipped and I thought i punched a hole in my motherboard. PHEW! I hit the powersupply. :D

Originally posted by vbp6us
Sorry no help here but that must have scared the living hell out of you. Lol...good luck. Kind of reminds me of when I was removing my heatsink on my Cpu(brand new computer in my sig) and the screw driver slipped and I thought i punched a hole in my motherboard. PHEW! I hit the powersupply. :D

haha, lucky! :)

I can't really help..all I can say is run some tests..if your card dies while gaming..well..at least you got some extra life out of it?

most of them are bypass capacitors. You will prolly only have a slight drop in OC'ing ability with one missing...there are ALOT of them.

well i dunno what happened, but now the card is giving me all kinds of funky ascii text when i boot, so i think the card has bit the dust :(

it did me well, it was nearly 2 years old, probably one of the oldest pieces of hardware i've ever had,

i was waiting till the new line of cards came out then get one of those, but i guess ill go with the 9800 XT for now

we should start a club. Did that exact same thing back in the day to my 9700...and it artifacted all the time afterwards :(

Originally posted by Whatsisname
i remember 9700 was the latest and greatest seemingly exactly 1 year. I find that strangly surprising.

All the "big" reviews are from aug/sept of 2002 it seems. Came out for like $399 i think, still going for over $200

BTW whatsisname- I'm Golden Gopher Alum-

Originally posted by Whatsisname
i remember 9700 was the latest and greatest seemingly exactly 1 year. I find that strangly surprising.

:D it's 2004 ... the previews came middle of 2002 and released third quarter .... seems like a long time ago .... :D

this is the main reason why i don't overlclock to extremes nor do i take off the stock fans/heatsinks thats a no no in my book.

this is the main reason why i don't overlclock to extremes nor do i take off the stock fans/heatsinks thats a no no in my book.

Don't do the Crime if You can't do the Time.......Same Goes here....If you are'nt willing have toasted hardware, then don't mess with it. But Life's about Risks you never know till you take 'em, and if you don't take em you're just along for the Ride!!!

I've read SO many posts about people destroying their video cards just from removing the heat sink !!!!

I mean how difficult can it be !!!

I did it but it was simple - I got a Hercules 9800 Pro.

I must admit I was nervous coz if I messed up, I'd be playing with a GeForce 2 for a while :D

wow, i'm really sorry man, you could try to be cheap and RMA it :p but idk if you'll get anywhere...i'm sorry...

Dude I was the Same way...and Volt modding....oh man That was about 9.95 on the Pucker Factor. But I was willing to take the Chance for the additional performance. And if it smoked well Back to the FX5200u, or Death.....Nah i'de probably sold one of my handguns, man that would have hurt.

Back