I just bought this card

WabeWalker

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127429

Supposedly, this card is overclocked.

Does this mean that the card is overclocked in hardware? In other words, is there any way (idiot that I am) that I could mistakenly un-overclock the overclock via software?

Also, does anybody know anything about this card - because I was unable to locate a review specific to this particular 275. All I know is that this card is obviously not a reference based design. The two fans are interesting.

There's really no going back anyhow, since the card is on its way, and I don't ever return stuff.

So when the say it's overclocked, what are we talking about here? 2 to 3 frames per second more?

Lol 666MHz.

Well this 275 was selling for the same price as the other 275 cards - except this one was bundled with COD 5, which I wanted, and don't have - it also has the non-reference based design. These are the two reasons I opted for this card.

It wasn't because of the so-called 'overclock' that I bought the card.

So LOL right back at you.

Well this 275 was selling for the same price as the other 275 cards - except this one was bundled with COD 5, which I wanted, and don't have - it also has the non-reference based design. These are the two reasons I opted for this card.

Then quit worrying about the extra 2-3 frames per second. You got a free game with your purchase. Be happy.

I was just asking a frickin' question! Christ, everyone's so damned touchy around here.

Lol 666MHz.

You miss the humor...

So Lucifer is inside my card, is he - well, that's just great. Peachy fine. As if I don't have enough problems already.

I bought that card and posted a short review here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414960
You can underclock it via RivaTuner if you wanted, but as long as you don't click the button to keep those settings at startup, everytime you restart the computer it will go back to default speeds (the default overclocked speed). Nice card, it's silent even with the overclock with a few rare exceptions in games (and even then it's very quiet, much quieter than my 8800 GTS was).

I bought that card and posted a short review here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414960
You can underclock it via RivaTuner if you wanted, but as long as you don't click the button to keep those settings at startup, everytime you restart the computer it will go back to default speeds (the default overclocked speed). Nice card, it's silent even with the overclock with a few rare exceptions in games (and even then it's very quiet, much quieter than my 8800 GTS was).

Oh thank god - about the noise level, I mean.

I saw that the 4890 and the 275 were running neck and neck at 1680*1050 so what decided it for me was the noise level, the free bundled game, and the non-reference cooler. This is good news.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127429

Supposedly, this card is overclocked.

Does this mean that the card is overclocked in hardware? In other words, is there any way (idiot that I am) that I could mistakenly un-overclock the overclock via software?

Also, does anybody know anything about this card - because I was unable to locate a review specific to this particular 275. All I know is that this card is obviously not a reference based design. The two fans are interesting.

There's really no going back anyhow, since the card is on its way, and I don't ever return stuff.

other then having overpaid for the card by a hundred dollars (if you paid that price that is) then no, you will have a fast card

Bipolar, how were you able to do this. I've never overclocked before?

Highest stable (with about 25 mhz of headroom) I've been able to get is
Core 750 (18.5% higher then a stock GTX 275)
Shaders 1595 (14% higher then a stock GTX 275)
Memory 1220 (8% higher then a stock GTX 275 -- the poor overclock of the memory disappointed me a bit). Ran through 3d Mark a couple times with the overclocked speeds and the temps never went above 71C and the fans never became noisy. Pretty impressed with how quiet it is and the decent overclocks of the core and shaders. It was only $5 more than a reference card at ZipZoomFly and I figured that was worth it for the low noise level.

other then having overpaid for the card by a hundred dollars (if you paid that price that is) then no, you will have a fast card

Those are Canadian prices - our dollar isn't doing too well at the moment.

You'd probably get 0-4% more performance compared to a non-overclocked GTX275, probably nothing you'd notice.

Bipolar, how were you able to do this. I've never overclocked before?

Use Rivatuner. This is a basic guide, the version is different and there are three sliders on the overclocking page instead of 2 as shown
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/99500-how-overclocking-my-nvidia-video-card.html
The three you'd have would be Core, Shaders, and Memory. Also, I ran into some problems with my overclocked speeds earlier tonight, so I backed them all off 20 mhz and it's working fine. But, start small with overclocking -- bump each slider up by 20 mhz or so and game for an hour to make sure it's stable. If so, bump it up another 20 mhz, repeat as necessary.

Use Rivatuner. This is a basic guide, the version is different and there are three sliders on the overclocking page instead of 2 as shown
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/99500-how-overclocking-my-nvidia-video-card.html
The three you'd have would be Core, Shaders, and Memory. Also, I ran into some problems with my overclocked speeds earlier tonight, so I backed them all off 20 mhz and it's working fine. But, start small with overclocking -- bump each slider up by 20 mhz or so and game for an hour to make sure it's stable. If so, bump it up another 20 mhz, repeat as necessary.

Thanks.

Core, Shaders, and Memory, eh?

What are your present settings right now, Bipolar? I realize that everybody's overclock should be different, but at least it would give me a general idea as to what I might want to aim for.

Why would you want to un-overclock it?

I wouldn't want to - that was the point.

I'm the type of guy who will step in the bucket of paint, or walk out of the house with the oven still on - I was wondering if it would be possible to accidentally un-overclock the overclock because it's the daft type of thing that I might end up doing.

Thanks.

Core, Shaders, and Memory, eh?

What are your present settings right now, Bipolar? I realize that everybody's overclock should be different, but at least it would give me a general idea as to what I might want to aim for.

I let it run at its default speeds when it boots into Windows. When I game, I overclock to
Core 730
Shaders 1575
Memory 1200

I let it run at its default speeds when it boots into Windows. When I game, I overclock to
Core 730
Shaders 1575
Memory 1200

Thanks.

Also, how does the fan-setting function - do you just leave it alone?

I ordered from NewEgg, and chose ground shipping. The cost of air mail to Canada (my card shipped from California) is just too expensive.

The card left Baldwin Park at one o'clock in the morning on Wednesday. Then it went to Los Angeles, to Sacramento, to Roseburg, Oregon, to Portland, Oregon, to Redmond, Washington, and then, by Friday morning, across the border and into Canada where it now sits, close to my home, in Richmond, B.C.

In other words UPS received the card at its facility on Friday morning, just before five o'clock, and they didn't deliver it to me. I suspect they didn't deliver the card because the 'estimated arrival date' was for Monday, and they didn't want to deliver something early.

Not liking UPS at all right now. This might be the last time I'll ever opt for UPS ground.

Then again, I'm an impatient bastard. But this has absolutely ruined my weekend! I want my new card!

It probably didnt get sorted till after the UPS drivers routes started. Why would UPS try to stall their own shipments?

I mean....UPS hates you.

edit

UPS hates canadians... JK :p

I've just finished installing my MSI GTX 275. (Core i7 920, 3 gigabytes ram, VISTA 64 - all of my gaming is done at 1680*1050) This card, by the way, has replaced a 9800gt.

My thoughts:

So far, dead quiet. I only played for about three hours, but I didn't hear the fan spin up even once. So I'm really happy about that.

Performance: I'm not a huge admirer of benchmarks. I think you can tell whether or not your games are functioning well just by looking at them. So here's what I noticed, subjectively speaking.

The first observation I should make is that my previous card, the 9800gt, was performing admirably - with all this recent talk about GTX 285s and 275s and 4890s, I think that it's too easy to overlook the fact that the 9800/8800 series will still perform perfectly for most titles. Sure, every now and then a game will task those cards, but they're still great cards. My 9800gt was able to run GTA 4, Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, FEAR 2, and Fallout 3 at max settings (for the most part) and I was consistently hitting, or even going above, 30 frames per second.

I would have to say that all of these titles I just mentioned are running just a little bit smoother now. (Assassin's Creed, for example, would stutter, ever so slightly, if there were lots of characters onscreen all at once - during big fights for example - but now the game is running like butter. AC couldn't possibly run any smoother.) These titles are indeed running smoother, but I have to admit that the difference, generally speaking, is fairly negligible.

It just goes to show that if you're getting around 30 fps already, then there's no real urgent need to upgrade your card. Honestly, it could even be argued that I retired my 9800gt a little too early. I think that right now if you want to stay with that card then you just have to be prepared to avoid certain titles.

That said, I really wanted to play Stalker Clear Sky in DX 10 - and that game just humbled my 9800gt. I'm pleased to report that Clear Sky is now running fairly smoothly. You commence this game at the Clear Sky camp, in the morning, and there's a tremendous amount of complex shading taking place as the god rays pour in through the leaves of the trees. In this particular instance, the GTX 275 makes an unplayable game completely playable and enjoyable to look at.

But is that alone worth the expense?

Probably not. Which is why it's a good thing I'm going to be playing the Crysis Maximum edition next. And then of course there are all the great games of the Fall - with this card, I should be ready for pretty much anything that the developers throw at me.

I suppose that in the end I'm just making certain that my card is up to date. I'd say that my move to the GTX 275 is a bit like going in and getting your haircut a couple of weeks before you really need to - you don't really need the haircut, per se, but it's kind of nice to get it over with ahead of time since it precludes you from fretting about it later on.

Last edited:
Sorry about the lengthy post. I know that somebody's going to comment on that.

wow, another richmond, bc resident:). im suprised you would order from newegg, seeing as how ncix(or anitec) is like 10 minutes away. i do realize that particular card is not carried at ncix....but still, i cant bring myself to wait for shipping, i need satisfaction now. for example, im gonna drive over to the burnaby ncix tommorow and pick up my new mobo and 4770:)

wow, another richmond, bc resident:). im suprised you would order from newegg, seeing as how ncix(or anitec) is like 10 minutes away. i do realize that particular card is not carried at ncix....but still, i cant bring myself to wait for shipping, i need satisfaction now. for example, im gonna drive over to the burnaby ncix tommorow and pick up my new mobo and 4770:)

The UPS hub is in Richmond, but I live in Lynn Valley - and I don't drive.

Richmond is one heck of a bust trip from where I am. It's actually easier to order from Newegg. Had it not been for the weekend, I would've received the package in just two days. And that was via UPS ground!

Okay, now I'm impressed.

Playing Stalker Clear Sky I've just made it into the swamps. At 1680*1050 in DX 10, with all the sliders maxed, my 9800gt suffered here when I tried it out a couple of nights ago.

And I mean suffered.

The GTX 275 has just creamed that level. A silky smooth experience. And what a beautiful level t is. Wow, Clear Sky was actually worth waiting for. Great, great looking game. No doubt about it.

Okay, so that's why I upgraded.

Rivaturner will underclock it threw software,but you can also hard flash the bios so it will always be underclocked.

I've just finished installing my MSI GTX 275. (Core i7 920, 3 gigabytes ram, VISTA 64 - all of my gaming is done at 1680*1050) This card, by the way, has replaced a 9800gt.

I don't suppose you managed to measure the length of the card for me before you installed it?

I don't suppose you managed to measure the length of the card for me before you installed it?

I did. It is exactly a 10.5" PCB and the power connectors are on top, so no need to worry about that. The card has some weight to it, because the decorative plate on top is actually metal. It's aluminum I think.

I just bought this card yesterday through Canadian retail. It was not marked OC, but it is at 666mhz (Satan).

I oc'd it to 750 core (with linked shaders) and 1225 for memory and it is rock stable. In fact, it went up to 766 mhz but would crash if I ran Furmark at 1920x1080, 8xMSAA, Xtreme burn-in, with post processing on. I didn't play with the memory due to time, so it may go up further.

This (Furmark xtreme burn with post-processing) is the most deadly way to stress a card as it has actually caused stock cards to crash due to the immense amount of current pulled and heat generated. Regular furmark ran at 766 mhz with everything above except Post-processing on without issue. But at least I know that it is (at 750) around 20 to 25 mhz of headroom. With the post-proessing on the card peaked at 80c with an open case. This is far lower than my stock GTX 260 55nm, which will hit over 90c without fan speed adjustments.

For example I can run an ATI 4890 at this setting only at 950mhz and 1100mhz before artifacting, and without Post-processing it will hit 975mhz (as a comparison) without artifacts and 1000 with a bit.

Very nice, quiet card and even at 100% fan speed is still relatively quiet. I am stressing it by folding@home on it right now and it is laughing at me, even at the (non Satanic) 750mhz. Temperature is around 70 c and fan speed at 55% and very quiet.

Best vid card purchase in a while.

I used RivaTuner for clock speed adjustments and did not touch the fan profiles.

Funny enough, one of the fans is "piggy backed" to the other, so theoretically you could disconnect it, and run it with an external fan controller at a select speed. Each fan is 80mm and moves a fair bit of air. Just keep fingers away from them when the card/computer is on :)

I did. It is exactly a 10.5" PCB and the power connectors are on top, so no need to worry about that. The card has some weight to it, because the decorative plate on top is actually metal. It's aluminum I think.

I just bought this card yesterday through Canadian retail. It was not marked OC, but it is at 666mhz (Satan).

I oc'd it to 750 core (with linked shaders) and 1225 for memory and it is rock stable. In fact, it went up to 766 mhz but would crash if I ran Furmark at 1920x1080, 8xMSAA, Xtreme burn-in, with post processing on. I didn't play with the memory due to time, so it may go up further.

This (Furmark xtreme burn with post-processing) is the most deadly way to stress a card as it has actually caused stock cards to crash due to the immense amount of current pulled and heat generated. Regular furmark ran at 766 mhz with everything above except Post-processing on without issue. But at least I know that it is (at 750) around 20 to 25 mhz of headroom. With the post-proessing on the card peaked at 80c with an open case. This is far lower than my stock GTX 260 55nm, which will hit over 90c without fan speed adjustments.

For example I can run an ATI 4890 at this setting only at 950mhz and 1100mhz before artifacting, and without Post-processing it will hit 975mhz (as a comparison) without artifacts and 1000 with a bit.

Very nice, quiet card and even at 100% fan speed is still relatively quiet. I am stressing it by folding@home on it right now and it is laughing at me, even at the (non Satanic) 750mhz. Temperature is around 70 c and fan speed at 55% and very quiet.

Best vid card purchase in a while.

I used RivaTuner for clock speed adjustments and did not touch the fan profiles.

Funny enough, one of the fans is "piggy backed" to the other, so theoretically you could disconnect it, and run it with an external fan controller at a select speed. Each fan is 80mm and moves a fair bit of air. Just keep fingers away from them when the card/computer is on :)

Fantastic, thanks very much, that means it will fit - result!! Rushes to grab credit card......:D

Back