I just bought a 1080ti, I'm going to hold out till 2019 for my next GPU, who's with me??

I only upgrade to the new XX80 Ti (XX90 if they ever make those again...)

I don’t believe Volta/Navi will push 4K at 144htz, and I’m not going to buy a new GPU until it can, as that is where I want my next visuals jump to land. Right now, my 3440x1440p 100htz screen, married to my 1080ti is the perfect combination, where the 1080ti pushes my screen to its exact limit. Therefor, I’m skipping Volta/Navi…

**This thread is not meant to be taken too seriously, and I want all answers to be presented as if we each have four empty beers in front of us.** Thank you.
Hell by 2019 if i am still around that is, I would have bought 10 or more gpu's by then. So holding out for what is the question?

I would have stuck with my 1080 for at least another year before upgrading, but was gifted a 1080Ti by my ex-girlfriend, several weeks ago.

I hope she and I still will be friends in 2019. ;):p

Reactions: Pirx
like this
Even when Volta has HDMI 2.1 and the supposedly cheaper OLED tvs via inkjet production?

I just went to a 1080 recently and don't plan on upgrading for another 2-3 years. Really don't see much of a point until the wife and I move past 1440p / 144hz / <4ms displays anyway.

I'll have to see how the monitor technology progresses. With the 7700k and the 1080 Ti, I finally feel like I'm able to max out my 1440p, 144Hz Acer Predator. I usually tailor my PC to the monitor I am using. I aim to get the very best experience out of what resolution I can view and how many FPS I can get. At this point, I feel like pouring more money into my current monitor might be a waste, at least for the next couple years.

Next, it will probably be a sub-$2k, 32+", 4k monitor at 120+Hz. If that comes in 2018, then maybe the 1080 Ti won't be enough. I suspect though, that might wait until 2019. Stands to reason that will also be a good year to upgrade the GPU yet again!

Well said NukeDukem! I'm of the same mind as it pertains to upgrade path.

I'll be waiting to move beyond 1440p/144Hz too. My two 970's can handle that with some settings turned down, and I don't see any games that would really punish that on the horizon.

And when I do move up, it'll be to get HDR in a 32" 4k120Hz solution with VRR, if/when that becomes available.

I'll have to see how the monitor technology progresses. With the 7700k and the 1080 Ti, I finally feel like I'm able to max out my 1440p, 144Hz Acer Predator. I usually tailor my PC to the monitor I am using. I aim to get the very best experience out of what resolution I can view and how many FPS I can get. At this point, I feel like pouring more money into my current monitor might be a waste, at least for the next couple years.

Next, it will probably be a sub-$2k, 32+", 4k monitor at 120+Hz. If that comes in 2018, then maybe the 1080 Ti won't be enough. I suspect though, that might wait until 2019. Stands to reason that will also be a good year to upgrade the GPU yet again!

This was exactly the mentality that I approached my recent build with is that the 7700K+1080Ti+1440p@165hz+Gsync combo would be extremely well balanced for longevity of high game settings versus performance. 165hz may seem a hair overkill, and later on as new games stress the 1080Ti even harder, it certainly will become so eventually. But for right now, even modern games like Spachulk Deathwing are seeing frame rate peaks up to that range comfortably often enough to make it useful to have as a Gsync support refresh. As I figure 2 years down the road games will begin forcing me to drop off some Ultra settings here and there to stay over 60 all the time. Maybe that soon. Prolly not (read hopefully not) :p

I think a great deal of people that upgrade to 1080 or better performance will find little need to upgrade again for awhile. Games are just not pushing video cards as much and most people are at 1440p or less so unless you plan on moving to 4k I doubt most anyone will feel the need to upgrade for awhile. I know I dont upgrade my video card until it starts to struggle with modern titles.

I'm maybe with you. I am waiting for the exact same thing you are 120ish on a single card AND the availability of 30-34in 4K panels that utilize it. I'll replace both when that happens unless something else compelling occurs with vr or some other tech that I'm unaware of.

At 1080p this card will last into 2019 and beyond. At 4k not so much.

Actually I am watching 4K oled monitor pricing and availablity more than GPU tech as I am not big on LED.

New gpu shows up the old one's get sold pronto. Keeps the hobby somewhat affordable.

this. ebay gets filled quickly with last gen cards when the new gen shows up. i stick with the 2nd-best model because the ti model is a bit pricey for my taste, but it has worked well. 670, 770, 970, 1070 atm, so i plan buying a 2070 and get 1080ti+ performance out of it.

I just got a 1060 and I will hold out until 2022 before I upgrade. I will likely get a second one and run SLI before then though.

I just got a 1060 and I will hold out until 2022 before I upgrade. I will likely get a second one and run SLI before then though.
Perhaps you did not get the memo on 1060 not supporting SLI. And even if it did support grabbing another one in the future would be idiotic compared to just selling it and buying another mid range card at that time. Nearly 1/3 of even AAA games do not even support mutli gpu at all. And of the ones that do you can have various issues in many of those such as poor scaling, stutter or flickering.

Perhaps you did not get the memo on 1060 not supporting SLI. And even if it did support grabbing another one in the future would be idiotic compared to just selling it and buying another mid range card at that time. Nearly 1/3 of even AAA games do not even support mutli gpu at all. And of the ones that do you can have various issues in many of those such as poor scaling, stutter or flickering.
I did get that memo. I meant MDA, and yes, I realize there is only one "game" that supports it, but there aren't very many DX12/Vulcan games around yet anyway, so who knows.

I have a 1080 and I skipped the 1080Ti generation. Gonna grab the next latest and greatest. Just didn't see the point of a 1080Ti if you're not trying to game at 4k.

Bringing this post back up, after seeing the 2080 reviews today, they have cemented my decision to hold out till 7nm.
Any other Pascale owners skipping Turing?

Maxwell owner here that is definitely skipping Turing. Probably grab another 980ti for cheap and SLI for the mean time. I don't do for hardly anymore, so a microstutter here and there isn't an issue for me. Adaptive Vsync 75Hz works great for me.

Bringing this post back up, after seeing the 2080 reviews today, they have cemented my decision to hold out till 7nm.

I was going to skip this generation regardless of reviews. I'm upgrading my card and monitor together but only when variable-rate displays settle down to a single standard. Since these cards don't support the vendor-neutral VRR standard I'm taking a pass this generation.

I was going to skip this generation regardless of reviews. I'm upgrading my card and monitor together but only when variable-rate displays settle down to a single standard. Since these cards don't support the vendor-neutral VRR standard I'm taking a pass this generation.

Yes, also this, I'm not sure what monitors people are plugging their 2080TIs into. Like 'your GPU can do 4K at 85FPS? Wow amazing! Too bad all 4k screens that run at 90hz+ are $2000...'

The 20 series is a fucking joke as far as I'm concerned for the price they're asking. This is the first generation of cards that I will skip in all the years I've been gaming. I have no doubt that most 2080 TI owners will get a hard-on acting like everyone else is too poor to join them.

The 20 series is a fucking joke as far as I'm concerned for the price they're asking. This is the first generation of cards that I will skip in all the years I've been gaming. I have no doubt that most 2080 TI owners will get a hard-on acting like everyone else is too poor to join them.

Well they need something to feel good about after dumping over 1200 bucks on a minimal gain in performance. My 1080 will chug along for now, just like my 290x did.

Yes, also this, I'm not sure what monitors people are plugging their 2080TIs into. Like 'your GPU can do 4K at 85FPS? Wow amazing! Too bad all 4k screens that run at 90hz+ are $2000...'
I can see it being useful for multi-monitor users, particularly if they're running three 1440p monitors. At 11 million pixels compared to 4K's 8.3 million (33% increase), I can see the extra performance being useful.

if I had a 4K monitor I might give the 2000 series a shot...but since I'm on 1440p and have no intention of going 4K anytime soon my 1070 is fine...or if prices drop close to $550 I might get a 1080Ti

Ugh. I was waiting on benchmarks to decide on a new card to replace my 980. 1080 Ti seems to be my best bet, but they are still over a thousand....Even used cards on kiji here are 900-1200. Canada suuuucks
What a hot mess

I just got a 1080TI about 2 months ago, its everythings ass at 1440 & 4k. Will probably upgrade next year when the second gen RTX comes out.

Ugh. I was waiting on benchmarks to decide on a new card to replace my 980. 1080 Ti seems to be my best bet, but they are still over a thousand....Even used cards on kiji here are 900-1200. Canada suuuucks
What a hot mess

Can't you order it from Newegg here and ship it to Canada?

Or just buy it from H here, the Sale forum here and have them ship it to you.

I just bought a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor this past March...so unless ray-tracing becomes the next big thing a 1080Ti might be all I need (I currently have a GTX 1070)

I have been forced to replace 2 that died and were out of warranty. Those turned out to be upgrades since the cards were older. I figure I'll buy when I need, but with 4 PC's in the house in working condition, I don't see a need or desire to buy anything for quite some time.

Eh, I'll be skipping Turing and whatever comes after it and probably whatever comes after that. Then if prices are not retarded maybe I'll considering upgrading.

My 1080 is happy at 2088MHz for most things and 2100 for a few things and 2113 for Ring of Elysium. I'm good. Need to find a new bios though so I can get more out of it with more stability. Stupid 1093mV limitation.

I just ordered a 1080 Ti. Seeing as my RX 480 4GB held me over for two years, I'm sure the new card will hold me over until good HDR monitors are affordable and AMD have a solid 4K card out so I can upgrade to FreeSync 2 triples.

4K 60Hz should suffice
Remember that average is not minimum and we all want this Ultra setting as a starting point before tweaking ini/cfg files ;)
(in reality I just am that cheap as to not want to spend $2000 for a proper monitor... :arghh:)

Been rocking my FTW3 that I got for $620 and also my 8700K for almost a year when everyone was saying the new stuff are just around the corner.. feels-good I didn't play the waiting game when I wanted it.

Last edited:
+1
The way NVidia are treating us and retailers, I'll be keeping my 1080ti until AMDs 7nm card is released.
They deserve damage.

Back