i hope someone knows what i'm talking about

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by CJL18, May 26, 2005.

1. CJL18

CJL18 [H]Lite

but with san andrea's coming out i want to know where i can find a adpater where you can play with your ps2 controller on the computer. I remeber i saw my cousin paly vice city on the pc with his ps2 controller but i never knew where youc ould buy the adaper or what it was called, can someone tell me where i can find this ;)

2. FunkStar

FunkStar Gawd

Try lik-sang.com

3. michealo

michealo [H]ard|Gawd

a playstaion 2 to USB adaptor

they're all over ebay

4. CJL18

CJL18 [H]Lite

yep thats exactly what i was looking for ty for your help, i wonder if it will work for xbox to :p

5. TheGamerZ

TheGamerZ [H]ardness Supreme

You can get them for every console. I have one for NES, SNES, and PSOne

6. kpedge

kpedge Gawd

Sir, you are hardcore :p

7. slowbiz

slowbiz 2[H]4U

Okay, I mentioned this in the other San Andreas thread.

I have a PS2 to USB adapter. It ruined one of my PS2 controllers. It worked fine for quite some time, and then one day I went to use my PS2 controller, and it was totally fucked. It thought that most of the buttons were being held down, and the d pad didn't work at all. Someone at radio shack warned my brother about that happening when he was inquiring about an adapter for himself. I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly why it does this... but the radio shack person said that it's something electrically different between the pc and the ps2 that isn't good.

8. ameoba

ameoba [H]ardness Supreme

The whole point of an adapter is to fix -exactly- these 'electrically differen[ces]" - if it's designed properly all the voltages and timings will be good.

Beyond that, do you have anything other than a mild correlation to indicate that the adapter is at fault? Considering what it takes to work at Radio Shack, I'd trust what they say about as much as a wet fart.

9. michealo

michealo [H]ard|Gawd

was the adaptor bought at radio shack?
    if so, there's the problem

10. Hate_Bot

Hate_Bot 2[H]4U

For the xbox, since it uses technical USB cables, a simple soldering job will get it to work on the computer

11. Aaron_ATX

Aaron_ATX [H]ard|Gawd

Used a radio shack adapter for a long time on a PS2 controller and I have no problems.

12. KidzMD

KidzMD Limp Gawd

13. slowbiz

slowbiz 2[H]4U

I didn't buy the adapter at Radioshack. The reason I asked about it was because I don't expect Radioshack employees to be [H]ardcore. I am pretty sure the adapter is what ruined my controller. I take excellent care of all my things. The controller is physically in mint condition, and it's 3 years old. It was plugged into my computer, and worked fine, and then the next day it was totally fucked. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot/fix the damn thing?

14. TheGamerZ

TheGamerZ [H]ardness Supreme

Yea, these spiffy 30 button, ergonomic gamepads just don't cut it when you wanna go play some Megaman or the like. You've gotta have the pointy uncomfortable controller :p

15. ameoba

ameoba [H]ardness Supreme

Unless you know about circuits & digital electronics and own a multimeter & a logic probe already, you're probably best off spending the $25 it'll cost to replace it. You might be able to take it apart and check for loose connections or dirty contacts on the buttons but, beyond that, they're not intended to be user servicable.

16. shadowbreaker513

shadowbreaker513 [H]ard|Gawd

That's what I did, works great. There is one extra cable which I'm guessing is for the rumble. You just gotta get good drivers or else it sucks.

17. heatsinker

heatsinker [H]ardness Supreme

The yellow cable (I think it was the yellow) is proprietary to the Xbox and is mainly for letting the Xbox know that a controller is connected.

18. Matrox462

Matrox462 Gawd

me too! :p I got mine on clearance for $5

19. Matrox462

Matrox462 Gawd

Don't forget the "if-all-else-fails-try-hitting-it-really-hard" technique ;)

20. shadowbreaker513

shadowbreaker513 [H]ard|Gawd

Hey, that worked on my modem for a long while until the cable plug snapped off the pcb inside.

21. busta_cap

busta_cap Limp Gawd

It's surprising how often giving it a good whack works. "Percussive maintenance" is a valid technique, though it shouldn't be the first thing you try.

22. kpedge

kpedge Gawd

Sometimes yelling and cursing works. Or hang it over the garbage can until it gets the idea.

23. Matrox462

Matrox462 Gawd

Of course, and that's why it's called "If-all-else-fails..." meaning, a last resort ;)