I hope I'm just incompetent...

Pendragon

n00b
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-108&depa=0

I recently purchased this heatsink + fan for my new computer. However, I cannot continue with the construction of said computer because it is impossible for me to install this heatsink. The unit itself sits on two support clips that goes through the holes in the retention guide. One of these clips is the perfect size, the other is too wide. I've tried everything but cannot get it to go through the whole without breaking the retention guide.

Simply can't believe that they gave me a support clip that was too big...

Someone tell me I'm stupid and doing something wrong, and it will actually work. :p I really don't want to send it back in and wait for a new one.

I have that cooler. Came wth both silver and blue things that go through the board. I had to mess with the configuration but finally found the right one. Sorry that's not more specific. I'll try to get a pic tonight and post it.

P1010138.JPG

P1010139.JPG

your mobo is likely dead from the static on that chair... so i wouldn't be worrying too much about the hsf right now.

i have never had anything die from static :eek:

and my computers usally gets built on my bed.

some places have lots of static ( like my office, i walk around and i touch a door knob, ZAP asljkfadfalgkj , hate it , i have to ground myeslf before touching a door knob ) or some places just dont have that muhc like my house.

nothign dies in my house, unless i make it so.

starhawk said:
your mobo is likely dead from the static on that chair... so i wouldn't be worrying too much about the hsf right now.

Thanks for that beautifully non-witty, non-contributing comment.

it's the truth. he probably did fry the board completely. i have a chair similar to it at home. the fabric of the chair is particularly static-prone and it is not a good idea to set anything electronic on there.

if nothing else works, i think its best to contact zalman, they will be happy to send out retention brackets. im sure any big company will do this too.

Pendragon said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-108&depa=0

I recently purchased this heatsink + fan for my new computer. However, I cannot continue with the construction of said computer because it is impossible for me to install this heatsink. The unit itself sits on two support clips that goes through the holes in the retention guide. One of these clips is the perfect size, the other is too wide. I've tried everything but cannot get it to go through the whole without breaking the retention guide.

Simply can't believe that they gave me a support clip that was too big...

Someone tell me I'm stupid and doing something wrong, and it will actually work. :p I really don't want to send it back in and wait for a new one.
what motherboard do you have?

dabiggoober said:
Thanks for that beautifully non-witty, non-contributing comment.

i actually thought it was funny, albeit non-contributing. the mobo looks like a mock-up on the pics - the flash washed out all the contrast of the traces...

now something contributing: have you checked zalmans homepage already? they have lists of compatible mobos. on others you just have to remove some stuff in order to get it fit the mobo: for the neo plat you have to peel off the metal plate on the back of the mobo for example.

starhawk said:
it's the truth. he probably did fry the board completely. i have a chair similar to it at home. the fabric of the chair is particularly static-prone and it is not a good idea to set anything electronic on there.

Sorry to dissapoint you. The motherboard is fine.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww crap. :D i hate it when i'm wrong. it's my main fault.

Alright, I contacted Zalman and they're sending me a new set of support clips. My motherboard is supported (ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU), but one of the clips was the wrong size

Originally Posted by starhawk

That's not my motherboard, and it seems that his hsf is mounted and working. ;)

Pendragon said:
That's not my motherboard, and it seems that his hsf is mounted and working. ;)

:rolleyes: miracles do happen... but seriously, the kitchen table is the best place unless you have a professional workspace. chairs are rather iffy.

Back