I honestly cannot find good hardware

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
Here is the rundown:

In mIRC/MSN/YAHOO/AIM I get disconnected randomly. I may be in a middle of a conversation in MSN and it will boot me out. In mIRC I may get BLOCKS of information (like 5 minutes worth) in approximatley 2 seconds, or just get disconnected.

I also cannot download anything above 20mb. It will stop at 5mb, 1.9mb, 18.5mb (totally random).

I currently have Comcast HSI. I run a Motorola Surfboard 5100 cable modem, plugged into a Linksys BEFSR41. Both cable modem and router are BRAND NEW.

Silly as it may seem, this is the 3rd router. We had a BEFSR41 before, but it would "die" on us, about once every other day, until we unplugged it, and replugged it in. Before this, we had a netgear router, which worked flawlessly, BUT COULDNT send e-mail. (Strangest thing, could GET e-mail, but couldn't SEND e-mail. EVEN THOUGH THEY BOTH USE THE SAME MAIL SERVER. I could even telnet and ping the outgoing mail server. Tried in outlook, firefox, mozilla suite, etc. E-mail keeps me in business, so I switched to that BEFSR41.

So it seems I just cannot get it right. I just purchased a Cisco uBR904 router, but I cannot get it configured correctly to do what I would like, so will probably be putting it up for sale.

Now, the Motorola surfboard 5100 is about 1 month old. The "new" BEFSR41 is 1 month old. Obviously this combination is not working. I DO NOT CARE HOW MUCH IT COSTS, I want a router that will work flawlessly with SB5100. I want a router that will connect all "six" computers successfully without any problems. Is it just my luck. Could there be something absolutely stupidly wrong with settings or something lame? I have spent 15+ hours with linksys tech support, and 5+ hours with comcast, with no avail. Comcast says the same thing "if you can plug directly into the cable modem and there isn't a problem, then we cannot help you, it is your router."

Any suggestions please as far as combinations go. I would greatly appreciate it!

Have you just tried running just the 5100 directly into your computer? That way it will be easy to tell if your really dealing with router issues or if its not something else, such as cable modem, service itself or computer configuration.

Another user here pointed me toward a new firmware for the befsr41 v3. I don't know what all it fixes, but it might be worth a shot. http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11738959. Like many of us said in your other thread, the WRT54G is a damn good router. It is still a linksys, but it is quite different inside. It does have wireless, but you can turn that off easily enough, and it gives you more options for the future. It's too bad the uBR904 didn't work out for you. That looks like a damn fine router.

IceWind: in kujax's other thread we determined that the befsr41 was definitely to blame in this situation. Everything worked perfectly when it was just a computer hooked directly to the cable modem.

IceWind said:
Have you just tried running just the 5100 directly into your computer? That way it will be easy to tell if your really dealing with router issues or if its not something else, such as cable modem, service itself or computer configuration.

this is where i would start.. because if the problem is here, then changing all the routers out in the world won't help.

If it still does it directly connected to the cable modem, then check your coax, make sure nothings loose etc, then call comcast.

my friend has a motorola surfboard, and plugged into the computer directly its flawless.. if i put my spare dlink 604 router inbetween it, the internet works for a while and then stops and requires a reboot of the router/cable modem.

IceWind said:

yes.. when plugged DIRECTLY into the SB5100, there are no issues.

If you've got a spare computer laying around you may want to try freesco. It is free and I've been using it for years with no incidents. www.freesco.org

Lyquist

I can only really see three problems here:

1) Bad ISP connection.
2) Local systems have something nasty on them.
3) Dirty power.

1) You've already done this, not dismissing this as a possibility, but we'll say this is ok for now
2) Check for spyware and virii. Any time you get this kind of odd behavoir, especially weirdness with email, this is a prime suspect
3) Power, often overlooked, can cause all kinds of problems on computer equipment. I'd get a UPS and set everything up on that.

XOR != OR said:
I can only really see three problems here:

1) Bad ISP connection.
2) Local systems have something nasty on them.
3) Dirty power.

1) You've already done this, not dismissing this as a possibility, but we'll say this is ok for now
2) Check for spyware and virii. Any time you get this kind of odd behavoir, especially weirdness with email, this is a prime suspect
3) Power, often overlooked, can cause all kinds of problems on computer equipment. I'd get a UPS and set everything up on that.

1) If I plug directly into the cable modem, it works fine. Of course, Comcast then says it is my problem, not theirs.

2) All computers have ad-aware and search and destroy. When we change routers, problem goes away, but from our 3 routers, each of their own little "problem." whether it be disconnect out of no where, cannot stay on constant flow programs like downloads or IM's, or just cannot send e-mail.

3) Although I understand what your talkinga bout with power, I've had two different linksys power plugs into the router. I've also changed sockets, with nothing different. Again, to the fact that with different routers, there are different problems, makes me believe it isn't power related.

KuJaX said:
whats the deal with the WRT54g "SPEED BOOSTER" model? lol

Speedboster tech is pure, utter crap. Get the speedbooster model cause it has a faster CPU and RAM but turn off the Speed stuff

Back