I hear SR2's are welcome on this team?

may i be worthy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2010
I thought I might say hello, I have just switched to Team 33. I have only been folding for a few days, working out the kinks, qualifying for -bigadv etc.

I have an overclocked SR2/x5650 @4Ghz, and six Q6600 render boxes for my work.(self employed) It looks like I could do about 130K+ per day all up, but I can't imagine running the Q6600s often, for heat & cost reasons.

I joined EVGA by default, but after thinking it over I would rather support forum-based teams rather than corporates (even though I think EVGA make great stuff).

Why HardOCP?

a) The helpful forums - and you asked! (Thanks to Kendrak, Apollo and Jebo for the invitation, and warm welcome)
b) It was here that I first heard of the SR2, and saw evidence of it's potential - which made me decide to buy. Thanks for the heads up!
c) there are other SR2 users here
d) EVGA is doing just fine.

As I will be part time folding, I would rather be a small fish in a big pond, alongside other SR2 users, which will hopefully mean I won't piss people off like I could barging into a small team.

One of the reasons I chose the Horde was that people here seem to appreciate the contribution made rather than fear the individual competition - not that I will set the world on fire with my little farm! I gather that the SR2 can score disproportional points, which can be hard on regular folks - I am lucky my business pays for my tools, but I feel for the folks doing this from their own pocket on more modest systems being overshadowed.

I switched all my team names over, which unfortunately restarted 4 of my work units, so hopefully I won't have to requalify for -bigadv with 10 more units. Is there somewhere that shows your status - failures ratio etc?

My grandmother lost her mind 15 years before she died. She taught nutrition, looked after herself, but all she got for her troubles was a body that outlived her mind by more than a decade. I will never forget answering the phone and having to explain who I was. Alzheimers/dementia runs in my family, and if I can do something small to help stop that from happening to people in the future like my daughter... you guys know what I mean.

Anyhoo, thought it would be polite to say hi, I am looking forward to contributing with you all. :D

Welcome to the [H]orde! The more the better and it's great for the science. If you need any help just post and someone here will get you squared away.

Fold On!

p.s. Post some computer pr0n. We like pics around here.

Welcome to the team! I guarantee that you will be happy with your decision.

Glad to have you!

You will still be punching up though the ranks quickly with that equipment even part time (we call it mowing) and it is a wonderful past time ;)

I might encourage you to test leaving F@A running in the backgound and do your work at the same time to see if there is an impact. Many of us game and run other demanding programs with folding running in the background. It is quite good of letting go of CPU cycles when they are nended.

Again, welcome!

Welcome MIBW!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

welcome to the team.. nice to see another SR-2 rig on the team..

as far as some of your questions.. no switching teams wont effect your 10WU requirement since its linked to your passkey so as long as that hasnt changed then you are fine..

there is no way to see your completion ratio yet.. would be nice if they setup something but doubt it will ever happen..

yep like kendrak said you should be able to leave F@H running in the background even when your rendering as long as the rendering application is set at normal or higher priority level..

and it doesnt matter what you have.. i mean i only pump out 12k PPD and i'm still glad to see people joining the team with huge farms and SR-2 rigs.. im here for the science.. the points are just an added bonus along with kicking EVGA's sorry asses in the process..

Welcome to the team! Every little bit helps - definitely don't feel bad there, even if you only put up 100 points a day and 1 work unit a week, it's still helping science and contributing to the greater cause.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother...both of my parents (dad 71, mom 70) are starting to deal with alzheimers and dementia more and more every day, so I can definitely relate there...as well as being a father myself (my girl just started kindergarten yesterday). That's why I contribute as well - in the hopes that what I do goes towards a cure for something so that when my wife and I are older, or even my daughter (and soon, baby girl #2 at the end of September)...so that we can all have a better end life than those before us. Cancer is also prevalent in both my and my wife's families too, that's another big reason.

I joined the [H]orde for the same reason; I came here with 0 knowledge and learned from scratch and wasn't treated like a complete idiot for asking stupid questions. :D It wasn't intimidating and I was welcomed....here it feels like a family instead of a corporate backed competition. :eek:

If you have any questions on setup, keeping things running smoothly, or just optimizing your stuff...definitely ask away!

Welcome to the team! Every little bit helps - definitely don't feel bad there, even if you only put up 100 points a day and 1 work unit a week, it's still helping science and contributing to the greater cause.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother...both of my parents (dad 71, mom 70) are starting to deal with alzheimers and dementia more and more every day, so I can definitely relate there...as well as being a father myself (my girl just started kindergarten yesterday). That's why I contribute as well - in the hopes that what I do goes towards a cure for something so that when my wife and I are older, or even my daughter (and soon, baby girl #2 at the end of September)...so that we can all have a better end life than those before us. Cancer is also prevalent in both my and my wife's families too, that's another big reason.

I joined the [H]orde for the same reason; I came here with 0 knowledge and learned from scratch and wasn't treated like a complete idiot for asking stupid questions. :D It wasn't intimidating and I was welcomed....here it feels like a family instead of a corporate backed competition. :eek:

/me cracks the whip.. back in the underground dungeon!!!!

lol jk.. reading that last part and the fact that im still awake at 7 am, that came to mind..

Welcome, around here we dont mind getting bumped down by a new guy with some horsepower. just makes us work harder.

Welcome to the team!

I'm curious about your BIOS settings since I also have X5650s, currently 175x22 at 1.3V. What did it take to get to 4GHz?

Welcome to the [H]orde! We love our SR-2s around here, and it is great to get another one in the mix. I'm sure we will be kicking around bios settings and such to help each other get the most out of our systems.

Welcome to the [H]orde may I be worthy, and to answer your question, all resources are welcome at the [H]0rde.

Here the competition is friendly ribbing, not confrontational, and all people, even those who concurrently fold for other teams are welcome.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for caring.

Great write up! I'd trade 10 no shows for someone with your charectar (I'm slightly hungover, sry for spelling)

anyways, welco e!! Glad to see another SR2 here, I remember when K and I were the only ones, now there's a ton of them here :)

anything you need just ask, we'll figure it out.

Disclaimer:: I wouldn't actually trade any folders away, it's always goodtho to see a dedicated new guy show up

Welcome to the team, always happy to see new members pop in and say [H]ello.:D

This has to be the friendliest of the forums that i visited before i joined. I was looking for a friendly bunch and thats exactly what i got here:)

Any questions ask away - i'm sure we will be able to help.

welcome to the team! we've got a great bunch of folks here, always thinking of new ways to get the job done :)

Sending a big hearty welcome out to you from East TN as well. Glad to have you as part of the team! :)

damn! another freak with alien technology!
hehe just kidding, just kidding!

Welcome worthy, have fun mowing :D

+1 for pr0n pics

Welcome and glad you did the transition.

Another SR-2 is always welcome. And yes there is a LOT of information here on the SR-2.

Welcome! I just pulled the trigger on an SR-2; it's good to be part of the club.

HOLY MOLY!

(not actually what I said when I read this thread, but everyone thinks Aussies are crude enough without me adding to the general impression) :p

My head is spinning. What a great forum, what a welcome! Thanks to each and everyone. Reading a bit more I think I have actually been pretty lucky with my family, there are some real stories here and a lot of motivation to help find a cure. And since my daughter was born I am a complete sook - things hit me hard now, I can't watch the news.

Second reason for headspin: I was looking for stats pages to check my work units were getting bonus points, and yes they are... but I found the Kakao and extremeoverclocking.com stats pages. There HAS to be a mistake - I (DigitalFX) am 8th & 3rd on points (24hrs) on those two sites, could that be correct? :eek: Or is this a timezone thing, and things will revert later today? "Mowing" indeed. Fun to be a shooting star.

Now clearly this is not an achievement compared to the folks who have been folding 24/7 for years and have millions of hard earned points, but still, it was startling to see. The more I think about it this means that the real work of folding is done by little people like me, from home, not companies throwing a few thousand PCs at the problem overnight. What a grassroots effort.

More response to the above in a mo... but thank you all again.:)

Second reason for headspin: I was looking for stats pages to check my work units were getting bonus points, and yes they are... but I found the Kakao and extremeoverclocking.com stats pages. There HAS to be a mistake - I (DigitalFX) am 8th & 3rd on points (24hrs) on those two sites, could that be correct? :eek: Or is this a timezone thing, and things will revert later today? "Mowing" indeed. Fun to be a shooting star.

Keep putting out 121K ppd and you'll have to get used to being well into the top 10 ppd for HardOCP... :)

But, who is #1 at the moment??? :D

me.jpg

:D

Have you tried to run the render program with no F@H running?

I'm wondering if it can only use 8 or so threads. If that is not the case, like you, I have no clue.

F YEAH

welcome to the team!

PS...it's not everyday the owner of the site welcomes foldign members to the team, so you should feel proud :D

Paste from EVGA forum I made:

My everyday stable overclock is 4.0GHz, that is not too bad on power and heat. I can do 4.2GHz, but with much more power etc. (1.39v, 1.375vtt 1.4 IOH - adds about 100watts)

Thanks for the details. My settings are very similar, so it looks like I shouldn't need much more voltage to get from 175 to 182 BCLK. Why do you have the memory set to DDR-800 though? It seems like it should easily do DDR-1066, and that should help your F@H performance.

Have you tried to run the render program with no F@H running?

I'm wondering if it can only use 8 or so threads. If that is not the case, like you, I have no clue.

No it works fine - scales extremely well to use 24 threads BUT, I just tested it with two copies of the renderer (no FAH) and same thing is happening - the idle priority still gets 50%.

Also tried Prime95 and FAH - works as expected - Prime95 will starve FAH and take 99%

So it looks like it is a 3DSmax/VRAY issue..

I thought PS3 was #1?

EDIT: nvm, I see hes on a diff team

No it works fine - scales extremely well to use 24 threads BUT, I just tested it with two copies of the renderer (no FAH) and same thing is happening - the idle priority still gets 50%.

Also tried Prime95 and FAH - works as expected - Prime95 will starve FAH and take 99%

So it looks like it is a 3DSmax/VRAY issue..

Maybe the program just isn't greedy enough :p

Cool, was worth a test to see if it would work.

Back