I have the option...

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
I have taken out an offer to get a computer through a Govt scheme which gives tax breaks. Now I have signed up for £900 worth of allowance (I can top it up with my own cash at the time too) which I pay back over 3 years. Essentailly I get to buy a laptop/PC without the large initial expense plus I dont pay tax on it.

Ok so initially I'm after an Athlon 64 laptop but the approved supplier has variable stock and I have a limited time to 'buy' the item. So....if the A64 laptop doesnt come about I am tempted by having a go with an Apple setup. I havent used one since my classic Fat Mac back in 1988.

The options are -

1. Apple Mac Mini plus the 20" Apple LCD screen

2. Apple Powerbook 14"

I guess the Powerbook has the major draw as it would be totally different to all the other guys at work laptops and it appears they are well built. Though the 20" screen would be really nice too.

Suggestions? What would you do?

There seems to be a big gap in the mid-range of the Mac range. You either have the fun looking mini or just boring models until you reach the iMac20" at £1199.00.

That looks interesting but just seems ridiculous for such...well low spec. I was possibly thinking of playing with the mini for a week or two then offloading it on ebay but keep the screen.

The book I'd probably keep.

are you talking about the 15" powerbook or 14" ibook? the ibook wold be comparably priced to the entry level mini with the 20" ACD.

Back