I have stupid questions

Ice Czar

Inscrutable
OK try not to play smack the Admin too much :p

a little well intentioned ribbing however is likely inorder
first Im an electronics n00b, but I need to master certain skills and concepts to further my hardware testing efforts

I'll be bumping this thread with new questions rather than throwing them out pelmel

1.I just bought a Keithley 2700 DMM\Data Logger
the front ports take "Convenient front panel inputs" for probes, thermocouples, RTDs ect

exactly what kind of jack am I looking for I'll be employing both 2 wire and 4 wire

2. the card it currently has is the 7701 32-Ch, Diff Mux Module
and unlike the 7702 which I had my eye on it employs Two female D-shell connectors (32 channel 2 wire \ 16 channel 4 wire) I assume that I need to ID the connector and build my own cable{s) wading into the manual for the pinout, I have questions regarding wire guage, length, sheilding, pins, crimps, stress relief and of course the connectors themselves. I thought asking here might net me a quick rundown of considerations possibly a source

think thats enough stupid questions for this round :p

(PS I am aware of the Cold Junction Issue with thermocouples and will be looking for a card specifically to deal with that, for now these are generally RTDs, a differential pressure gauge and a flowmeter)

I would hardly categorize these inquiries as 'noobish' ;)

Regarding the front panel connections, I believe they are commonly referred to as insulated or safety shrouded banana jacks. Allied Electronics Catalog Reference

Sorry, can't help on the cable wiring specs, if it were on my bench it would probably be a rats nest of 22g hookup wire and aligator clips ;) I note the specs claim 150V 1A each voltage channel, that seems like a lot.

SuperAdmin said:
for now these are generally RTDs, a differential pressure gauge and a flowmeter
Goodness me, you don't happen to be involved in the oil/gas/petrochemical industry, do you?

Mohonri said:
Goodness me, you don't happen to be involved in the oil/gas/petrochemical industry, do you?

[H]ardOCP [H]igh Altitude Thermal Test Lab :p ;)

watercooling reviews, with "hopefully" real definative numbers
(ala, BillA, pHaestus, Cathar, Joe Citarella, Lee Garbutt, ect)
and some decent automation, learning about fieldbus architecture and data logging
oh joy oh joy :p

agent420, thanx for the linkage and more imporantly the words "safety shrouded" ;)

Wish i could give you some help, just going to pop in and say GOOD CHOICE for a DMM :) i really want a Keithley, but im a poor college studnet.

I got a chance to tour there plant where they make that dmm a year ago, very good company imho.

:drool:

I can't take credit for that either,
but I was smart enough to ask BillA what he recommended :p

the 2700 Integra replaced 3 different (older) Flukes I had an eye on
(2190A Thermometer, 2300A-002 Thermocouple Scanner 1120A IEEE-488 Translator)
now I have only one manual to memorize :p

Did you actually foot that entire price tag listed on that page? You gotta be rich to afford things like that with such a targeted use as an individual.......

If you want to play you have to pay ;)
Just patient, not rich :p
I rolled every dime Kyle has paid me for doing the frontpage news on the weekends into buying it, and I didnt pay full pop got mine on ebay for $833 +S (the description says it has a 2710 card when in fact its the 7701) according to the sticker it should still be in calibration

wading through the 7701 manual
it looks like your basic IDC ribbon can be employed provided you dont exceed 42V, at which point you need to up the AWG and solder to cups (had to look up what the hell that was :p )

But considering that the DMM will be in close proximity to all the devices, and that both the RTDs and the leads need to be calibrated (building a stirred Ice Bath) maybe I should be looking at the solder and cup solution and building my own various shielded cables
running the leads from the sensors through another bus to an IDC might be more flexible, but direct is maybe less complicated in any event Id need largely the same components.

anyone know where Id find say a Mu Metal mesh cable cover for 20 AWG?
or what is the "standard" for sheilding cables?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have questions regarding wire guage, length, sheilding
I work for a large refrigeration company and install and maintain EMS equipment for supermarkets. Wire gauge for All temp probes is Beldin cable 22awg unsheilded..Sheilded wire for runs that come into contact with high voltage..any bus that is sending info is 18awg unsheilded beldin cable..don't know if this helps you or not.. :confused:

This might help for cable Q's
http://www.belden.com/college/college.htm

Back